1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

just bought a used 2001 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
axkiker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought a used 2001 5.4

So I just picked up a used 5.4 for my 99 f250 LD. All in all it looks to be in good shape. I did find a few things which I want your feedback on.

So the first thing I did was to pull the valve colvers and check the cams. All seemed good there. The cam didnt have any noticeable wear that looked out of the norm. Everything was consistant across all journals. No scoring marks etc.

Next I pulled the pan to check for metal shavings etc. There was just a little crud in the bottem of the pan. Nothing major, but I made sure to whipe it out and checked to be sure it wasnt metal shavings. All good

Now here is where it gets interesting. Someone at some point has added another drain plug to the front of the oil pan. Im not sure why someone would do that but im almost positive its not stock. It didnt appear to be done wrong but I did pick a couple coiled up shavings out of the oil pickup screen. I pulled them out and they dont appear to be bearing material. They appear to be from the addition of that drain plug threading

The only thing im really concerned about was what appears to be a water leak on one side of the block. On one side of the block it is perfectly clean with no rust and the original factory paint still holding up. On the other there is a section roughly 8 in wide which runs from the head down to the pan which is pretty rusted up. Im not sure if it could be that freeze out plug or maybe the head gasket is leaking. The guy said he didnt notice it leaking water but who knows.

Any idea what may have caused that rust on only one side of the block? Its on the passenger side could it be the AC stuff causing condensation

Old 03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That is a possibility. A leaking hood seal could let water in to the engine bay as well. If it was an antifreeze leak, it would have a green, slimy residue, not rust.

Also, the engine that you bought is a PI engine with different heads and intake ports, so be sure to use the parts on the engine and not your old intake.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
axkiker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
That is a possibility. A leaking hood seal could let water in to the engine bay as well. If it was an antifreeze leak, it would have a green, slimy residue, not rust.

Also, the engine that you bought is a PI engine with different heads and intake ports, so be sure to use the parts on the engine and not your old intake.
Im glad you mentioned that because im curious about something. The engine I bought is a 2001 and as you said has the PI heads. The intake is plastic and the one out of the 99 is aluminum. Is there any difference. The 99 also had PI heads if that makes a diference