1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I Need A Volt Guage..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
rpol7966
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need A Volt Guage..........

I am in the process of building an instrument cluster for my '50 F1 using OEM components. I want to use a volt guage instead of an ammeter. Are there any Ford vehicles in the '80s or '90s that used a volt guage? (I believe that most Ford units of this era still used ammeters) I'm not worried about the face of the guage because I intend to retro-fit another face. I have come up with all the other guages and speedometer head for the conversion. I think the cluster will look pretty cool while retaining a near OEM appearance.
Any help in stering towards an OEM volt guage would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Ammeters from the 1960’s (?) and up are not ammeters, they are shunt voltmeters calibrated to read in amps, because they are wired in parallel nor series, not sure how you would do it but you just have to recalibrated the face plate to read in volts, (or leave the amps that aren’t) newer ones don’t say anything just color coded.

“But hey, I have been wrong before and it kind of keeps me humble”

Old 02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
rpol7966
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old F1, Thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with the shunted voltmeter. I don't care or need to recalibrate it to voltage because the guage face I'm using will just indicate charge or discharge.
Do you know where the shunt is located in the guage circuit. If I can scavenge the circuit from a donor vehicle, I can wire it into my harness. A simple schematic would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I think (?) the shunt is just terminology to differentiate voltmeters disguised as fake ammeters from real voltmeters, any car manual should have a wiring diagram but I think it’s just pos. term to switched ignition/battery and other term. to ground.

Julie would know and she would have a diagram, send her a PM, if you can.