New 460ci

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mcdonaldm
does the front timing chain cover have an opening for the fuel pump? the fuel injected engines did not come with this opening on the timing chain cover.

also not 100% sure but i think the fuel injected heads have to centre bolts on the valve covers holding them down while the car'd have 7 or 8 bolts on the outside of valve cover holding them down.

Rgds
Mike
Some I've seen just have a plate bolted over it.

Kiwi,
I am about 50 miles north of New York City.

I will get some pictures of the intake manifold face of the two stock heads in the coming days. I'm very busy this weekend.

Welcome to FTE, and best of luck with your project!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appreciate it Jim.
The closest that I'm going to be to New York is SLC. Utah in early April. I guess that beer will have to wait. I had a look on Rock Auto as they have Pics of in and ex gaskets. It looks as if mine must be a pre '87 carb model. I'll keep the progress of the build posted on FTE. Again - thanks for the support.
Cheers
KPH

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
jburke832
Freshman User
Seven bolts make them carbed. I'm in EFI land and can't find a decent of valve covers to save my life.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Cobraguy,

That's an -engineering number- it indicates it was designed for '79.
That same block casting # was used from '79 (when Ford went to external balance) until '88 when they went to fuel injection and made the bores slightly longer to better support the pistons.

(my truck came off the showroom floor with that #)
I just want to make a correction here, the D9TE-AB blocks were used until end of production of the 460s in the late 90s. There was no difference in teh block itself between the carb and fuelies (timing chain, and cams where different though as well as the entire top end of the engine)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I just want to make a correction here, the D9TE-AB blocks were used until end of production of the 460s in the late 90s. There was no difference in teh block itself between the carb and fuelies (timing chain, and cams where different though as well as the entire top end of the engine)
Thank you for the reality check.
I suppose I shouldn't take my machine shop guys word as gospel, and measure these things for myself in the future.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Thanks for the info boys. Much appreciated!! Now back to the original question - does anyone have a tried and tested combo of Cam, in manifold, Carb and also dissy that matches this brand new 460 long block? I'm prolley going to drop it in an old F-150 reg cab and do it up as a weekend driver/show vehicle. I don't think that it'll see much past 5-5.5k rpm. As for horses - i'd like to see at least 400-450 but "more is better"...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

How much money?
How much power?
How long do you want it to last between rebuilds?
I assume you are keeping the rods and pistons that are in it?

If you had enough posts that private messaging would work I would recommend you go to another forum that specializes in *just this engine* and look at some of the proven builds they have sticky'd over there

Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Here is one for you. You can do the same basic deal using the D3VE heads but you need to have flat top pistons instead of dish to get the compression ratio, otherwise everything else is the same.

425-450HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP professionally calibrated for your application
Edelbrock Performer Rpm Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished, and port match
(315-ish/180-ish cfm @.600)
Intake valve size 2.08
Exhaust valve size 1.65
Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series
Intake Lobe 5443 and Exhaust Lobe 5203
(Specs:268/280 adv., 224/230@.050, .524/.544 lift, 110 LSA)
Compression around 9.5:1
Stock crank
Stock rods with good bolts
Standard volume oil pump
Stock oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6000 rpm.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Thanks sounds about what i'm after. Could the same be accomplished with the std pistons and shave the heads to raise the comp ratio? I'm trying to keep it under $2K keeping in mind i also need to buy alternator and other front dress up gear. I'll start posting pics of how i found this donk and progress reports - gotta love tis FTE forum... tons loads of info and blokes that want to share hard won knowledge. Thanks to all who've answered

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I'd think you need to cut the block rather than the heads to bring the pistons closer to the deck in order to get sufficient squish (quench) area.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Jim is correct in that you would want to be sure and deck the block to get achieve zero deck (piston even with the top of the block) then You need to find out exactly what pistons you have as far as dish volume.

the big thing is with your budget, and not wanting to spend for new pistons you probably don't really want to go that radical on the build (stock it most likely has cast pistons I really wouldn't want to push cast pistons at 6000rpm or 450hp)

I gave you a basic build for the HP number you requested but IMO you need to replace teh pistons with a forged unit (go flat top if you want to use D3VE heads) and balance the rotating assembly. Yes it adds money to your build but it will live longer.

Now if you want to stay with that stock bottom end, I would still do the block decking to get the pistons to zero deck then detune your aspirations to around 300hp and be able to run pump gas easily

275-300HP 460ci

Intake System:

Holley 600-750 vacuum secondary
Edelbrock Performer (non-RPM) Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

Heads can be D0VE or D3VE
(No Port work. Just good 3 angle valve job.)
Intake valve size 2.08
Exhaust valve size 1.65
Stock rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent
Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series
Intake Lobe 5437 and Exhaust Lobe 5430
(Specs:240/250 adv., 196/206@.050, .476/.479 lift, 112 LSA)
Compression around 8.0:1
Stock crank
Stock rods
Standard volume oil pump
Stock oil pan

Exhaust:

Passenger cast-iron manifolds to dual 2.25" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

87-octane. Horsepower peak at 4,100 rpm. Keep redline to 5000 rpm.

Now with zero deck, and stock pistons your actually going to be around 8.5:1, maybe bump the cam up a little and probably actually be in the 325-350hp range and still be reasonably safe.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Thanks - I pulled a head off it last night and the pistons have very little recess. They are flat with 2 small recesses for valves. As the engine is new - i don't have the part # here but i'll get it at lunch. There is no real machine shop capable to do any real machining of quality here on island. The only true way of gaining hp is putting in better parts. Maybe new pistons and heads will be needed... will let you know about the piston numbers and also drop in a couple of pictures... and thanks... i know this is taking up some of your time. Much appreciated.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Flat tops change the whole equation (just valve reliefs are considered flat tops) and probably (hopefully) not cast pistons. Typical flat top piston with D3VE heads and zero deck the block will get you just over 9:1 compression which would be about perfect.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Howdy again - the piston part # is D3JE-6110-AA and the head number is E6TE-DA. Does that make a difference??

Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

E6TE heads are for all intents and purposes the same as the D3VE heads and should have 95CC chambers. so no real difference there.

I am not 100% sure but I think those are marine pistons and are forged flat tops used for marine engines. Should be good pistons and more then likely has good rods in it too.

Quick Reply: New 460ci