1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The truck gods must be mad at me!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
2pazr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what i have collected was the clutch exploaded throwing metal up into the bell housing causing it to crack and thats it. it sat for 25 years in my grandpas garage so when i turned six i could have it thanks dad!! i started looking for the parts when i was turned 18 about 3 yrs ago at which time i stripped the broken parts out from the floor board and then i undid the trannys 4 bolts and slid it back and down and since there was no top half of the bellhousing i was able to unscrew the remaing bolts that were on the bell and had to remove a few sheered bolts from the flywheel where he used some like cheezy unhardened bolts like an idiot which could of caused the break. he disagrees with my therory. I then replaced everything with new or the best i could get with in reason i was 18 but i saved for the parts. I checked the tranny and cleaned and fixed/ repaired all the seals and new fluid. i then put new plugs battery and wires to plugs and battery. i hooked up a new coil cleeaned the points. changed the oil looked at the gastank and cleean it out it was pretty clean though( he couldnt afford gas by the looks) only a half inch line of crud at the bottom. the lines were shot i grabbed one and it broke of the pump. ran to auto zone got some tube and elecric pump hooked it up to the battery. stuck the other end from the pump in the gas can. checked the starter in the new housing pulled the choke and it cranked right over and ran like a BEAST so oh so loud and the power it was shacking the walls when i was reving it a bit. and it did this for about a month. My grandpa got sick and i put it on hold. parked it back in the garage and then just last month my grandpa passed away and now the family that i have never even met is kicking my stuff out so they can sell the house they only want the money they are such trash!! sorry im just venting but now i have to scram and the thing is giving me every problem possible everyYYY!!! so i am just trying anything i can to atleast put it togther so when i park it on the street some one can just steal it easy(by the look of things thats what would happen) plus if i left every thing in the bed of the truck it would probably get stolen too eather way im hoping that it will just work if everything is inplace and lined up. So i now have the clutch installed with the plastic pin in place and i am going to just lift the tranny and bolt it in place and try to turn it over and maybe it will turn over. thanks if you can help sorry if my story isnt that good its all i got!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Do you have anywhere you could put up a small storage shed like they sell at the DIY stores? They aren't expensive and if you build it on top a wooden floor set on cement blocks, everything except the truck itself will stay dry and reasonably safe. I used one for storage for a number of years until it started to come apart from wind and weather. I then built an all wood one 8x12' that I still use. it got full when we started autocross racing so my wife had her father build me another one 12x16'. Finally we were in a position 3 years ago to have a 28x28' 2 story garage built. Before that I worked on our panel in the back yard where I stored it under a fabric cover. You could put an ad in the local shopping news or on Craigs list to see if someone close by has an empty garage you might rent inexpensively. Some places have auto maintainance co-ops where they rent an old gas station or warehouse space then the members can schedule time to use it to work on their projects. See if there is a local Hot Rod club around you, you may be able to find a member with some extra room to spare in exchange for an extra pair of hands to help him when he needs it. Where there's a will there's a way.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, do you have any military experience or friends in the military? Do youlive close to a Base somewhere. Most bases have EXCELLANT Auto Hobby Shops with rental stalls available and tools to rent - including lifts, transmission jacks, etc. Just a thought.

Also, it sounds like you have a lot going on. Trucks can sense this and always want to fight you when they sense youare tasked. Remember that your truck is your friend and will be your buddy long after all this is over. It doesn't seem like it now, but it's true.