Sponsored by:

Question for you tax gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for you tax gurus?

Last week I went to get my truck inspected (Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts). Now for those that don't know it, Mass. makes anyone with a DRW truck register it as a commercial vehicle, whether you use it commercially or not. It costs me about $125.00 every year to keep this truck on the road. Cars cost about $35.00 every 3-4 years. Just because I've got 2 extra wheels on the back.

This year they've added a new one. I had to under go a full D.O.T. inspection. That means I had to have a fire extinguisher, safety triangles, chock blocks and spare bulbs and fuses in the cab. They checked everything you'd normally check on a tractor-trailer (except air brakes, obviously). This inspection took over 1/2 an hour and cost me $74.00 (I've heard some have paid over $100.00). Regular passenger vehicles only cost $29.00.

Now my question. If Mass. is going to treat my little F-350 like a big rig, why can't I deduct fuel, maintainance, repairs, insurance and truck payments off of my taxes?

Howard

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I don't believe you can deduct expenses of doing business if you don't have a bona fide business. Bona fide as in at least occasionally making more money than you are paying out in expenses.
This opinion is worth what you paid for it

Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by origcharger
I don't believe you can deduct expenses of doing business if you don't have a bona fide business. Bona fide as in at least occasionally making more money than you are paying out in expenses.
This opinion is worth what you paid for it
Actually you can if you have a hobby that does net you some profit as well that involves extensive traveling, but otherwise you'll actually have to have a business that every now and then gets you a net profit for the year. Doesn't have to every year, but it does have to happen sometime. Bottomline is that you have to have some type of profit motive, but better be prepared to cover your *** if they come sniffing and have everything on hand.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Mwachel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on out to NV. I am paying $700 a year for my truck in sig. That is not including the smog for $40.

I know...it's all relative. Just giving you a hard time. But honestly...you do have it cheap compared to other states. That is a pain that they make you have all that stuff in your truck for the inspection.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mwachel
Come on out to NV. I am paying $700 a year for my truck in sig. That is not including the smog for $40.

I know...it's all relative. Just giving you a hard time. But honestly...you do have it cheap compared to other states. That is a pain that they make you have all that stuff in your truck for the inspection.
Just curious. Do you use yours for business?

Howard

Old 02-14-2009, 07:41 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Your inpsection costs for that truck are less than what I paid for my vehicles when I lived in Pittsburgh. They were all gassers and required emissions for a grand total of around $80 each; I had 3. Your registration fee is consistent with VT for my truck in sig when I had it registered there. I guess what I'm saying is that you're paying a lot, but the only crazy thing is that you need DOT inspection, extinguishers, etc.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
Ok, so I guess this idea is out. It was worth a try. Any way I can stick it to this commie state, I'll try it.

Alright, now I'd like to hear from any Texans. I'm thinking of moving in a few years. What are you expenses for registrations, inspections,etc...

Howard

Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How about Oregon? $40 for 2 year registration, and NO inspections , unless you live in Portland! NO sales tax either!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Originally Posted by atomicglock
Just curious. Do you use yours for business?

Howard
I don't. I was just pointing out that ours is really expensive even for non-commercial use. I was just messing with ya a little.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
How about Oregon? $40 for 2 year registration, and NO inspections , unless you live in Portland! NO sales tax either!
No thanks. I'm sick of cold and wet. I'm looking for warm and dry. Traveled to Dallas/F.W. area a couple years ago and loved it (the weather that is, not the city so much).

Howard

Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Traveled to Dallas/F.W. area a couple years ago and loved it (the weather that is, not the city so much).
One piece of advice, Dallas is a seperate city from Ft. Worth and if you meet any multigenerational native(6th gen. Plano native), they won't take to kindly to you lumping those two cities together. A lot of people do, but it doesn't fly for those that know the history of the two cities and whose family has background within one of those cities for any length of time.

Dallas area is a transitional area. You can get really humid days and really dry days. Rainfall there is about average when compared to southern states(40-50 inches a yr. in Dallas(well Plano actually)).

Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not so where I live The western 1/3 of Oregon is wet, the eastern 2/3 is high desert! I only get 6-8" of rain/year...........Summers are hot tho!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Not so where I live The western 1/3 of Oregon is wet, the eastern 2/3 is high desert! I only get 6-8" of rain/year...........Summers are hot tho!
Ok, when I say I'm sick of cold and wet, I'm talking about winter in New England. Snow, sleet, freezing rain and temps in teens and 20's with overnight lows in the single to negative numbers, slipping and sliding around on the ice. That's kind of crap I'm sick of. A friend of mine once said , when he retired, he was going to put his snowblower in the back of his truck and drive south, and when someone asked him what the heck that thing was, he knew he'd gone far enough.

I've been checking the weather in the Dallas area over the past few months. Daytime lows in the 50's with some days as high as the 70's. Overnight lows in the 30's. IN FREAKIN' JANUARY!!!! Hot damn, I can deal with that!

Summers are a little warm, but I'm getting to that age where the heat doesn't bother me as much as it once did. Heck, I'd move to Fl. if it wasn't for the summer humidity.

Howard

P.S. I just realized something. I hijacked my own thread.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
[SIZE=3]slipping and sliding around on the ice.

Ice is a big problem in Dallas as well. It also gets on occasion more humidity then Florida(depending on what part of Florida that is).

Now global warming might be changing that to a degree, but that's my experience.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Ice is a big problem in Dallas as well. It also gets on occasion more humidity then Florida(depending on what part of Florida that is).

Now global warming might be changing that to a degree, but that's my experience.
So how often do you have to deal with icy conditions? Based on the temps, it really surprises me it could be that bad. Maybe I need to think further south?

Howard

Quick Reply: Question for you tax gurus?