2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
btacarlton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline Vibration

I have recently noticed a vibration when accelerating and turning. I checked the TSB's and believe that my problem is:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="96%" border=3 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle width="25%" bg*************** itxtvisited="1">TSB
06-4-4
</TD><TD align=left width="65%" bg*************** itxtvisited="1">
  • LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My question is how hard of a repair is this? I am mechanically inclined and am pretty sure I have all the tools needed. I would go get a service manual for my truck if I decide to do it. The only thing is I have never done any axle work before. Just not sure I can afford to pay Ford to do it. What are your opinions?

Thanks, Bill

Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Catmonkey
Senior User
I have no idea what the TSB recommends, but I'd try Ford's friction modifier in the rear differential before I resorted to any more serious procedures.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
t lindemann
Junior User
There are a bunch of tsbs for that type problem. Mine had a vibration durine acceleration and deceleration. first ford said it was the rear end angle and that it needed a shim kit to adjust the pinon angle didnt cure the problem, then they indexd the driveshaft halves 180 degrees, helped some. Then they put a whole new drive shaft assembly. Fixed it. from what you describe it sounds like you need to drain and refill the diff and add the friction modifier. Or if you buy the really good stuff like royal purple or aimsoil it has a friction modifier already in it. But also on this site there is all the TSB listed and there a few for vibrations, shimmies and such. good luck

Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
btacarlton
Senior User
Well I am only noticing the vibration during low speed turns, such at pulling out of my driveway or making turns from a stop. So I am pretty sure that the one I listed above is the problem. I will try to do a fluid change with the friction modifier and see if that helps. Thanks.