coolant leak on 4.6 only when below freezing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant leak on 4.6 only when below freezing

I have started to notice a small amount of anti-freeze on the ground in the morning after a cold night. It is where the bottom radiator hose returns to the block. The clamp apears tight and I havn't tried to get under it yet to check the fitting that bolts to the block. Why would this not leak while the engine is running either while cold or hot and show up later. I have looked under there right after engine shut down and don'ty see anything leaking. I also have the correct coolant level. Any help?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As the radiators get old, the side tank seals often don't hold fully tight. I've seen it in the past on other Fords in cold weather. The cold must shrink the seal enough to allow a slight leak on an old rad. You can take the rad to a rad shop and have them re-crimp the tanks on tighter or replace the whole rad if it really bothers you. Or just ignore it, as it rarely amounts to much.

-Dave

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the amount is unnoticable as for fill level.. but I am not seeing it under the rad it's at the bottom drivers side of the block where the lower rad hose is connected . It's real hard to get a good look at where the fitting meets the block. I'm thinking why isn't it leaking under some pressure.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be running down the hose from the rad. I'd still go with something shrinking in the cold and expanding enough when warm to seal up. Replacing the hoses along with checking everything out is not a bad idea either.

Otherwise, wait and watch.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Smoky D
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might be the gasket on the block where the hose neck fits