Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Transfer Case Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Transfer Case Motor

I just had to by a new transfer case motor. I installed it, but the instruction say the computer needs to be cleared. Has anyone done this? Can you just pull the battery cables, or do you need a good scanner?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can try to pull the cables and turn on head lights for about 10 minutes..the head lights will help drain stored amps in sensoors, relays and what not...if that dont work..maybe some one with AE can help you out..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
ggirten
Senior User
My daughters boyfriend has a very nice Snap-on scanner. He can probably reset it, but I will try pulling the cables first.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
BrokenBit
Senior User
Hmmm, that's kinda odd. I had to replace one of ours a few months ago and the "destructions" didn't say anything about reseting the computer. Ours is working OK. our problem ended up not being the motor, but none-the-less it was replaced and now works normal with no computer reset. Well, good luck with it, talk to ya later...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brokenbit, what WAS your problem?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 PM
BrokenBit
Senior User
Well, oddly enough, it was a broken wire somewhere between the ignition and ????. This was one of those problems that I couldn't devote enough time to figureing out so it went to the stealership where they could hook their fancy computer to the ole girl and test some circuits (apparently Ford never released the wireing schematic for the ESOF system). Any how they found that power was not getting to the GEM from the ignition or something like that, so they ran a new wire to it instead of replacing the entire wire harness. It works normal now but still not sure what ever made it go out in the first place, never had no problems with it, then one day went to use 4x4 and nothing! It was a pretty crazy deal. Hated to give the $ to the stealership, but without a diagram, I had no idea which wires to start traceing.