Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F-250 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 F-250 Project

Howdy folks! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. We had a ball. Small in some ways - Huge in other ways. Sposed to have this week off as well, so I got LOTS of plans.

Two years ago, I bought an old 1978 F-250 - not running. Guy said a year before that, the oil pump seized when he killed it and broke the pin in the distributor shaft when he tried to re-start it. He said the truck should be good to go if the oil pump and distributor problem was repaired. I took him at his word, and I do believe he was shooting me straight.

A year ago I dropped the pan, replaced the oil pump (the old one was indeed locked up), the crank seals, timing chain and gears, and bought a HEI distributor - Ford bottom / GM top. But, I got side tracked and never started the engine. Rolled it over and couldn't get any fire at the plugs.

Friday, I pulled it back into the carport and set in on it again. Still no fire at the plugs. Took all the ignition components out of the distributor, put them right back in, and had fire at the plugs. Removed the carb and washed the dirt-dobber nest out of it. Timed the ignition, rolled it over - no fuel at the carb. Replaced the fuel pump and solved the fuel delivery problem.

Now I had fire and gas, but all it would do is spit back through the carb. Re-checked the timing. No change. Slept on it and decided to pull a valve cover and see if oil was coming to the top - it wasn't. Pulled the distributor and spun the oil pump til oil started coming out the push rods. Buttoned it all back up and it started the first time I rolled it over.

I'm thinking that the lifters must've lost their prime while it sat so long.

It's got a bad exhaust leak, but the steering, brakes, clutch, and gears all checked out. 4wd seems to work like it should. The wiring is a mess, so no lights. No gauges.

Got a long way to go, but it's been fun so far. I have been pouring through this website for the past 3 or 4 days looking for tips and advice and found WAY more than my simple brain can soak in. BUT, you guys know your Fords and I found everything I needed. THANKS for all the help!!!! Now that I'm back on the project, I'll have some legit questions to post.

Mitch

Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
oldmajor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the headlights, check and make sure the floor dimmer is working, they go bad frequently and they're cheap.
Looks like a fun project.
What engine do you have?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
351M / 4-speed.

I've been out there pulling of any wiring that is junk. It had all kind of extra stuff added to it, like a funky trailer brake system, gauges, CB radio, sound system - there was a hunerd yards of wire laying out side when I quit. Noticed the fuse box is broken and hanging by the wiring. Half of the fuses in it have tin foil wrapped around them.

Cleaned out the glove box and found a brand new head light switch And a new dimmer switch!

Mitch

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
I just swapped out the headlight switch, and that seeme to have solved the headlight problem. The dimmer switch seems to work o.k. I have a spare if I need it. I cleaned up and started sorting out the wiring mess under the dash and under the cab. It may not be as bad as I had first thought. Gonna see if I can cut out the bad spots under the cab and splice it back together to get the tail lights working.

The interior light AND the cargo light work.

Noticed, while under the truck, that the left front shock absorber is missing.

Cleaned the interior today. It is better, but still needs another going over. I should jerk the carpet and all the critters living in it out tomorrow.

Looks like there are a few pieces of the heater / ac missing under the dash.

I drove it around the place a good bit today. Burned three gallons of gas! I do not think its gonna be easy on fuel. The tires on it are bald - and it will still amaze me as to where it will go!

Mitch

Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Oh yeah, . . . the right side exhaust manifold is cracked. I need to replace the gasket on that one too. Reckon that manifold is gonna fall apart when I unbolt it? I've been searching the site here and found the "candle trick" post. I'd heard that trick pulled to free up hitches and front ends on farm tractors. Might try it on these bolts.