1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front end question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end question

I got my truck stuck last night (embarrasing but i have bald tires) and anyways I got the front end pretty burried. I looked everything over and the steering bar that comes off the pitman arm has a slight bend to it. I'm not good with names so that might sound stupid but its the bar that comes off the pitman arm and its on an angle towards the passenger wheel. Is it suppose to have a slight bend in it or did I bend it?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:32 PM
RMPC
Senior User
What model truck is it? If its a 93-97 F350... I might be able to tell ya... I'll have to run out to the shop and look at mine a little closer

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's for your F350...it's a drag link and supposed to have a small kink in it.
Is your steering wheel still straight? If so, probably OK.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Epd444
Elder User
its a 97 F350. I'm pretty sure it had a small bend in it forever so I just wanted to make sure I didn't tweak anything or cause damage. The wheels straight and it drives fine and no noises I just want to be sure its suppose to have a small bend

Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
stephen.south
Senior User
Yeah your fine, it has that bend in it so it doesn't hit the P/S leaf spring

Old 12-21-2008, 06:08 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Yep.. you bend that one... you'll know about it right away... the steering wheel will be off center...maybe by a bunch to the left as anything other than the factory bend will shorten the link, affecting the steering wheel. Bend the knuckle to knuckle rod and while it might not show up in the steering wheel, the truck will tell ya pretty quick about it eg look pigeon toe'd, tire wear and drivability problems.
So, like the other guys say... yer all good... at least it's not a Chev..... we've got a fencing guy out here that has several and loves em...he bumped into a log on the ground and broke... yeah BROKE! one of his tie rods !... about 20 miles out from the shop... had to take it off, bring it in, weld it and take it back out... so he could go home! Chev tie rods on their 3/4 tons are about as big as my pinky finger...junk ! Same with their aluminum diff housings... glad we dont own any of em...I'd have to quit