2002 7.3 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:23 PM
rickjones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 electrical issue

Hey all,
I recently installed new batteries in my 2002 f250 7.3 and am experiencing issues. Thing runs like a champ but the dome light will not turn off after exiting the vehicle. I use the key to unlock the truck and when door is opened, the alarm goes off. I now have the "door ajar" light on continuously even though every thing is square concerning the doors. My keyless entry remote will not load after cycling the ignition 8 times as well.
Any advice is welcome considering I don't do electrical and it's looking like a visit to the dealership may be in order.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Your VSM has fried. Mine went through the same issue. Lost keyless function, lost power door locks, door ajar light always on. I replaced the VSM and door locks/keyless came back. However, Ford didn't reprogram it exactly right and my door ajar and dome lights are still on.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 AM
rickjones
New User
VSM? That sounds about right. It appears to be dying slowly considering I lost the keyless entry about six months back and decided to just deal with it. Anything to avoid the dealership but now sounds like I have no choice considering the new one will have to be programmed.
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
VSM Vehicle Security Module. Handles Keyless entry, power door locks and some of the dome light function.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:13 PM
rickjones
New User
Originally Posted by ReAX
VSM Vehicle Security Module. Handles Keyless entry, power door locks and some of the dome light function.
Do you mean the central security module? CSM?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:58 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
In my 02, it's called a VSM. It's the module on the firewall under the radio where the power door lock wires can be easily tapped for an alarm. It might be called a CSM in a different book, but I know it as VSM.