Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed up with no cup holder.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM
justin_brandstein
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fed up with no cup holder.

For you guys with bench seats how do you make due without a cup holder...? It kinda gets old holding it while driving in the snow... any ideas?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Virto
Posting Guru
Look for a bench seat cupholder console on ebay, they show up once in a while but aren't cheap. They attach to the mounting bolts on the front of the seat.

You can always buy one of those ugly generic things at the auto store and drill it into the floor.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
pc_2000
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of those cheap 2 cup holder with the open box area that sits on the hump. Sits pretty good as long as I use a cup with a sippy lid (thought I outgrew the sippy cups LOL ).

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
12engine
Postmaster
or have somebody ride with you, thats my cupholder . but seriously justin, im in the same boat as you. only, i cant use a bench seat cupholder cause thats where my firegear rides, although my boots work pretty good as a cupholder as long as its got a cap. i dont really trust those cheapo plastic cupholders. maybe someone could rig something up where the cupholders are mounted to the dash. someone told me that XLT doors ( i think, not sure though) have cupholders in em and you could swap out the doors, but thats too much work for just cupholders.
if i find something or figure something out, ill let you know, until then, dont drive alone.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
You can do what my buddy did a few years back. He made a cupholder out of wood that goes on the lump on the floor in front of the bench seat. It works REALLY well.

I swapped my bench seat for my uncles bucket seats with a center box with cupholders. The cup holders suck though, they don't fit any thing perfectly and they arn't really deep enough. I had my amp (energy drink) in one and my ipod in the other last weekend when I went wheeling and it dumped out and filled up the other cup holder so that my ipod was soaking up energy drink. I noticed quickly and my iPod wasn't damaged.

BUT DAMN FORD AND THE CUP HOLDERS THEY MAKE!

Bottom line, make one out of wood. :P

Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the factory cup holder and it's really not all that great, far too shallow. Whenever I use it, I keep my hand on the cup around every turn... I usually end up using it to hold stray 12ga hulls and sugar packets, and just hold my coffee.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
guitarnik
Elder User
walmart has cup holders that have a hook like thing that slides in next to you r window. between the glass and the door itself. seems to work well.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by guitarnik
walmart has cup holders that have a hook like thing that slides in next to you r window. between the glass and the door itself. seems to work well.
Lol I haven't seen those in a long time. We used to have some in the Mustang.

Someone mentioned the XLT door panels...close, but not quite. Supercab XLTs have two cup holders...for the back seat. =/

Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
the people who had my truck b4 i did drilled 2 bolts into the bottom of the seat, straight behind the shifter and put in a 2 cup holder unit that snapped into the bolts.. im not explaingin this very well i know. i will try to get some pics for y'all to see.. anyways it works really slick.. also the other thing i am planning on doing is to take out teh captain seats out of my dads 90 bronco and putting em in my 150 and building a center console with cupholders and my amp, subs built in and it will be big enough to hold a 24 (30) pack of whatever beverage you prefer inside the console.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Suburban_B_Gone
Postmaster
I have had good luck with what I call a ship's mug. It is a wide bottom cup with a nonslip finish with a low center of gravity. It also has a cap.

I suspect that it was designed for use on a ship at sea. It sits on the seat or the floor with no issues... at least so far.

Thank you,

-JR

Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Virto
Lol I haven't seen those in a long time. We used to have some in the Mustang.

Someone mentioned the XLT door panels...close, but not quite. Supercab XLTs have two cup holders...for the back seat. =/
eh...i was close oh well.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:48 PM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
Originally Posted by guitarnik
Measure, I've seen em fit but when I bought em they sure didn't... Only 79 cents, but stilll... Just gave em to my friend and he put them in his intrepid...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I have four cup holders. I have the cheap-o Cupholder that sits on the floor wedged in between my bench seat and the floor. My other two cup holders are part of a heavy console that simply sits next to me. I should take a picture. I paid maybe $50 or $60 for it, but it's worth it. More storage space and I can put a coke down with little worry.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
rquinlans
Junior User
after spilling more frigging drinks than I can count...

Contractor's Console - Duluth Trading Company

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rquinlans
after spilling more frigging drinks than I can count...

Contractor's Console - Duluth Trading Company
From that page:
NOTE: This unit is too large to work with trucks that have manual transmissions on the floor.
FAIL.

All we have is that little factory "console" in front of the bench seat in the middle. One WAY-too-shallow cup holder, and a big square cavity. Maybe I'll take Prozon's idea and cut a block of wood to fit in that cavity, and with a hole small enough to fit a car-mug snugly.

Any other ideas for the doors, or dash? Maybe something that interfaces with the map/junk pockets in the doors? Center console won't work for us, 'cuz (don't laugh) our major need for this is when we go up to our cabin, and we take the cats with us, and the carrier sits between us on the bench seat (couldn't find an extended cab 4x4 PSD 5-speed).

Quick Reply: Fed up with no cup holder.