General Automotive Discussion

Why would Ford build anything the buyer wants?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobErnst
T
Imagine MY frustration working at a dealer...
Yep, same here.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Please clarify

Originally Posted by Ford F-250
Because the customer is always right. If you didn't build what they want, they wouldn't be happy.
Are you saying the buying public doesn't know what they want?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Ford Truck
Are you saying the buying public doesn't know what they want?

I want the 7.3 back!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
As of today.

Originally Posted by jayandsam09
I got a call late Wednesday afternoon from the dealer. They're saying that they have one of the new ic's for me. Going to take my truck up there today to leave with them to install

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM
rogue40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Red Ford Truck
When it's worked so well for them up to now building vehicles they think folks want.

The problem with Ford and GM and Chrysler is they only see today,there for they cannot look back to yesteryear for inspiration and they cannot look to tomorrow for salvation because they screwed up so badly in the last 15 years.

If the big three were as good at designing and building autos as they are at platitudes and broken promises Toyota never would have stood a snowballs chance in hell.

The dealerships are another huge problem IMO, when is the last time you heard someone comment on how helpful the salesperson was or say something like gee they had no small print in the sales contract.

Customer service is a joke IMO and only getting worse.

I have been a Ford customer for many years and owned many New and used Ford products currently we own a 2007 Ranger but warrenty and product being what it is these days in 2012 we will be in the market for a new vehicle,
currently Ford has nothing that interests me. I guess that means Ford loses another customer.

It's truly a great shame and I'm sure if Henry Ford knew how badly his company has been driven into the ground he would roll over in his grave.

Rick.
"They can have it in any color they like, as long as it is black!"
Henry Ford

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I agree with RFT.

American companies are just copying imports these days I think because they don't know how to think for themselves anymore. Everything "new and exciting" on any american vehicle now days can be found on older import vehicles. "new" to ford, chevy, dodge, is technology I can sometimes find on 20+ year old hondas, toyotas, and the like.

"Engineers" just change up existing designs and call them their own.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
xSgtRenegadex
Junior User
That's fine, the big three are trying to get qualities in their cars that Americans find attractive in foreign garbage so people will start buying American again. That's what we need in this present economy. American Made!!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Well America used to make quality cars. Now they are a poor copy, you know that thing thats like the original but not quite, its cheaper, doesn't work as good, and doesn't last nearly as long.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I dont know, id take a new Taurus or fusion over any forign car now. I wouldnt have said that about the earlier Taurus's or the predecessors to the fusion.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The current Fusion is actually a foreign car for the us, since it's actually a Ford Mondeo.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM
xSgtRenegadex
Junior User
Foreign cars put so much **** in the vehicles that there is so much that could go wrong. Fords, GM, and Chevy are basic and easy. Which is awesome.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by xSgtRenegadex
Foreign cars put so much **** in the vehicles that there is so much that could go wrong. Fords, GM, and Chevy are basic and easy. Which is awesome.

I must clarify that when I speak import I am talking about the bigger manufactures equal to ford or chevy like honda and toyota primarily.

I understand imports like nissan are still junk. We don't talk about those. lol

Ford and chevy cars are not basic. They have all the same junk as any import and in many cases even more. A simple 1 component part in a honda or toyota is for some reason a conglomeration of 5 separate parts in a ford or chevy with impossible to get to bolts and nuts without pulling the motor or cab.

I have family and friends that ask me all the time what kind of vehicle they should get, I always say a honda. I then tell them if they don't believe me go around and ask honda owners if they are happy or not. I can find many many dissatisfied ford, chevy, and dodge owners but very very rarely I can find a unhappy honda owner.

Another huge sign of quality is resale price. This can be seen with the ford 7.3, a 7.3 truck is worth more than any truck even 5 years newer.

Honda has one of the highest resale values of any vehicle manufacture out there. They don't get that from being junk.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Speaking of resale value, my current edition of Truck trend has a back page posting of a 2005 Expedition as a potential used vehicle. TT doesn't recommend this vehicle and they report that the Expy has a $3000 lower resale value than an equivalent Tahoe or Burb.

The reasons? Spark plug issues, electrical issues and the difficulty in working on an Expy. I did a plug change on my '04 4.6L Expy and it took me over 2 hours.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Speaking of resale value, my current edition of Truck trend has a back page posting of a 2005 Expedition as a potential used vehicle. TT doesn't recommend this vehicle and they report that the Expy has a $3000 lower resale value than an equivalent Tahoe or Burb.

The reasons? Spark plug issues, electrical issues and the difficulty in working on an Expy. I did a plug change on my '04 4.6L Expy and it took me over 2 hours.
The '05 Expedition is gonna be the early 3 valve 5.4 with the sticking spark plug problem, so it is very clear that people will shy away from those. However, an '05 with the 4.6 will have the improved spark plug threads and in theory should not shoot plugs out (which was not nearly as much of a problem with the 4.6 in any year).

As for foreign cars, I have to admit putting my wife in a new '07 Civic, which now has 93k miles on it. It has needed oil changes and tire rotations, a set of front brake pads that I put in, some filters which I put in, and a set of tires. (This is aside from some problems cause by an accident which was not my wife's fault.) And the car was $17k new and should still be worth $8-9k on resale. I really would have loved to buy her a Focus, but believe that the sheer dependability of the Honda as well as the resale simply can't be beat. And the sucker gets 34-35 mpg on her work commute, has never had a tank under maybe 30 mpg, and has cracked 40 mpg on a couple trips....

There is a reason that a lot of Honda buyers, after getting their first one, keep buying them. When it comes time to replace my wife's Civic (maybe after she retires in a year or a year and a half), I will WANT to buy a domestic brand replacement but might have a hard time doing so, as we will both be living on pensions and not yet drawing social security.

My '02 Econoline has been a very good vehicle for 108k miles, has eaten a bunch of front end and brake parts (not uncommon with vans), but the big problem was a TSB that required the replacement of the cylinder heads at 42k miles (early Romeo PI 4.6), very fortunately covered because I bought an extended warranty. So Ford can build a really solid truck but has made some weird design errors with cylinder heads and spark plugs... And as with the Expy, I do NOT think Ford needed overhead cams in their V8's to make them huge and complex. The mod motors are relatively solid, but if a Corvette or Chrysler Hemi can have a cam in the block, any truck V8 can have one.

George

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The '05 Expedition is gonna be the early 3 valve 5.4 with the sticking spark plug problem, so it is very clear that people will shy away from those. However, an '05 with the 4.6 will have the improved spark plug threads and in theory should not shoot plugs out (which was not nearly as much of a problem with the 4.6 in any year).
George
This is the main reason why the article focused on the '05. I believe the 4.6L was not offered in any Expy after 2004. Simply not enough power to pull anything plus it's own weight. My '04 has been bullet proof for the exception of a fuel pump failure at 82K.

Looking at the Expeditions now, they look very dated and in need of a serious make over and drive line transplant. I wouldn't ever buy another at this point in life. Simply too big of a margin between MSRP and resale value. In 2004 and 2005, Ford was offering some pretty big incentives on the Expy's. Not so much now.

Quick Reply: Why would Ford build anything the buyer wants?