1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Selector Valve Motor Fuse Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selector Valve Motor Fuse Question

I have a 97 F350 and it recently appears to have stopped using fuel from the front tank.

When you change the position of the in-cab switch the fuel guage reading changes to read the fuel level in the appropriate tank, however, it only pulls fuel from the rear tank.

I did a forum search minutes ago and learned that the selector valve has a small eletric motor that operates the "valve" to switch fuel supply.

When I get home tonight I will crawl under the truck and locate this valve, anyone want to save me some looking and point me in the right direction?

I will have my wife turn the key on and switch the tanks so I can see if the electric motor is working.

Two questions in advance:

1. Is there a fuse specifically for this electric motor on the fuel selector valve?

2. If my electric motor is bad, can I only replace the motor, or do I have to buy a complete assembly from Ford?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,
RA

Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fuel selector valve is on the same fuse as the a/c compressor, it's #6 in the cab and should be a 15 amp.

The selector valve also selects which tank the gauge is reading from, so if the gauge is changing tanks the fuse is probably good.

The valve is located inside the frame rail just above the transfer case skid plate. it's black molded plastic and has a 5 wire connector and 6 fuel lines. The whole thing is about the size of a beer can.

With the key on and someone switching tanks you should be able to hear a faint "zzip" as the motor changes the valve. The whole thing is a sealed unit and the electric motor is not replaceable.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueMule
The fuel selector valve is on the same fuse as the a/c compressor, it's #6 in the cab and should be a 15 amp.

The selector valve also selects which tank the gauge is reading from, so if the gauge is changing tanks the fuse is probably good.

The valve is located inside the frame rail just above the transfer case skid plate. it's black molded plastic and has a 5 wire connector and 6 fuel lines. The whole thing is about the size of a beer can.

With the key on and someone switching tanks you should be able to hear a faint "zzip" as the motor changes the valve. The whole thing is a sealed unit and the electric motor is not replaceable.
Thats what I was going to say ....

If I had Known....

Not ....

Good post Rodney....

Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run across a couple that had trash in the selector valve which would not let the valve cycle and change tanks. On one truck the valve was stuck partway and it siphoned the fuel out of the rear tank into the front tank and ran fuel out the filler cap. I had to remove the fuel lines form the valve (after pinching off the fuel lines with vise grips) and then blow "LOW" pressure air through the valve as someone cycled it back and forth. It has worked the two times that I did it. Just a thought.

You might try tapping on the selector valve as someone cycles it, I would try this first. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't get home until 10 last night, so it was this evening before I could check it out a little.

With the key on and me leaning down as far as I could and still reach the tank selector switch, I did hear a "zip" kind of sound each time when flipping the switch back and forth.

My wife wasn't home yet to work the switch while I tap on the valve,, assuming its possible that the electric motor is working and the valve isn't switching?

Is this possible?

I plan to crawl under it and check it out a little closer tomorrow, if I have time after working on my wife's suburban. ha.

I know I can call Ford, but anyone want to save me the hassle and tell me what a new valve costs?

Assuming that the "zip" sound indeed indicates that the valve is functioning correctly, any other ideas why its only pullin fuel form the rear tank?

Thanks guys,

ra