Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, someone explain to me how a thread about the performance of the F150 derrailed into which brick is more aerodynamic according to what source posted on the internet in a forum linked by 4 people arguing 12 totally different topics?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fosters
Ok, someone explain to me how a thread about the performance of the F150 derrailed into which brick is more aerodynamic according to what source posted on the internet in a forum linked by 4 people arguing 12 totally different topics?

lol

Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Mustangtoby2001
Senior User
Bottom line, the 5.4 is down on power but still the best selling truck on the market. I personally want more power, am pissed that my Ford has the least. But I still buy the Ford because it is the best truck, period.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
It's an internet forum, get used to it. It's like having a drunk conversation with every single person in the bar minus the "I love you man".

Mike

Old 12-04-2008, 06:59 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO Ford has missed the boat again.

They should have forgot about the competition, and done something that will have to be done in the future.

The F150 has grown like a pig. The years of trying to out do the competition have brought it to where it is today. An over bloated Lincoln. How many peeps really need to have ventilated seats. Sound deadened firewalls, ect., ect. This is supposed to be a TRUCK! Not a freaking grocery getter.
Trying to outdo every other truck brings us to this 11.5K towing rating, for whats supposed to be a 1/2 ton truck. WTF? If Your a serious towing freak, You won't buy a F150, You'll step up and do the right thing. Buy a F250/350.

They should have scrapped the current chassis, and lightened the truck back down to 4500 lbs. As every sports/racing person knows, loosing weight is like adding power. The 5.4 would have spanked every other truck on the market. Plus added mileage. Do some serious work in the tunnel and I'd bet 25MPG could be achieved.
Peeps would be waiting in line to buy a truck like that. Think about what 80-90% of trucks are used for. They are NOT used to pull 11K trailers. They are used as daily drivers with nothing in the bed. Occasional weekend loads. Boats, ATV's, TT's. If Your an owner of a 12K TT, You should be in a SD anyways. This truck trying to do everything is stupid IMO. Especially when You offer another complete line of trucks that are already designed to do what They're trying to accomplish with the over bloated F150.

Build an aerodynamic, 1/2 ton pickup that gets an honest 20+ MPG. Then, let the competition play catch up.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I won't argue with hard numbers, but unique the Flex is not. It's been done. It's called the Scion XB.

Mike
Have you been in the flex??? Its not even close to a scion xb....i've driven both and the flex is MUCH MUCH MUCH better....

Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
IMO Ford has missed the boat again.

The F150 has grown like a pig. The years of trying to out do the competition have brought it to where it is today. An over bloated Lincoln. How many peeps really need to have ventilated seats. Sound deadened firewalls, ect., ect. This is supposed to be a TRUCK! Not a freaking grocery getter.

They are used as daily drivers with nothing in the bed. Occasional weekend loads. Boats, ATV's, TT's. If Your an owner of a 12K TT, You should be in a SD anyways.
Your first line says they are trucks that don't need cooled seats or sound deadening because they're not grocery getters.... your second line says they are daily drivers that run to the store and rarely haul anything.....Make up your mind

Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
They should have scrapped the current chassis, and lightened the truck back down to 4500 lbs. As every sports/racing person knows, loosing weight is like adding power. The 5.4 would have spanked every other truck on the market. Plus added mileage. Do some serious work in the tunnel and I'd bet 25MPG could be achieved.

They already have a 4500 lb truck that gets 25 mpg....its called a ranger....

With your continual bashing of the F150 i have to wonder...is it that you don't like it, or that your mad other people have them? If you really don't like the new trucks, it seams you'd be jumping ship to somewhere else by now

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Your first line says they are trucks that don't need cooled seats or sound deadening because they're not grocery getters.... your second line says they are daily drivers that run to the store and rarely haul anything.....Make up your mind
Go back and read his post again, he's right on both counts. 1/2 ton trucks used to be about the DIY guy(or gal) doing yard work and going fishing or snowmobiling on the weekend. Now they're a 4x4 limousine status sysbol.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Because sometimes in all the mayhem, someone posts a statement that makes your day......

Thanks for the new sig BLK94F150!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Conanski
Go back and read his post again, he's right on both counts. 1/2 ton trucks used to be about the DIY guy(or gal) doing yard work and going fishing or snowmobiling on the weekend. Now they're a 4x4 limousine status sysbol.
They still are, they're now just much safer, comfier, and better to drive....remember the waldoch conversion trucks of the 90's......they were the limo status trucks of the day

Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
They still are, they're now just much safer, comfier, and better to drive....remember the waldoch conversion trucks of the 90's......they were the limo status trucks of the day

If people don't want these new trucks with all the gadgets then go buy a pre 1990 ford and restore it. I'm glad these new trucks have the lux items they have because my truck gets used for work and play. I love to be able to sit on that nice warm eat when it's -20 outside and i love to sit on that same cold seat when it's 40+ outside. I love not hearing the engine noise and road noise over the sound of everything else. I love having electric adjust seats and pedals because someone uses my truck and changes everything. I love having nav and Sirius radio. I love having voice control and mp3 docks. I love having trailer sway control and side steps. I know that for me it makes my trips a lot more comfortable after a long day of work or a family trip to ski or a beach trip.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Who said anything about discrediting anything. Your the one discrediting another source ONLY because it doesn't fit with your "agenda"

You are right about numbers are numbers but who buys a crossover because it's coefficient of drag is significantly better? And better than it's Asian competition? Hint the sarcasm. Last time I checked, the Flex doesn't get best mileage out of all crossovers.....

Isn't the whole idea behind the crossover is a vehicle that is offroad capable to some extent? And they don't get this car at all? Obviously YOU get this car, you tell us then.
Oh come off of it, SMIGGS. Look at the low-riding Flex, unlike most other crossovers this thing makes no off-roading pretentions. None. Zero. Zilch.

The whole idea behind the Flex is to offer a large, useable interior with three rows of seating wrapped in a stylish package that offers better gas mileage and superior drivability when compared to large SUVs. It's a large SUV for people who want to trade favorable truck traits for favorable car traits.

The Flex is really more of a minivan alternative that sacrifices some usability (which is the ability to carry a sheet of plywood flat on the floor) in favor of some style. It's an alternative to what's out there, and yes it is unique. C&D and T/T simply do not take the car for what it is.

And also, please name a full-size 3-row crossover that gets better fuel mileage than the Flex. Good thing it has that low coefficient of drag...

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big Bad
And also, please name a full-size 3-row crossover that gets better fuel mileage than the Flex. Good thing it has that low coefficient of drag...
2009 Ford Flex SEL - Car And Driver

The only crossover in the test that can't seat 7 ( 3rd row ) is the Toyota. As for the Flex and it's low coefficient of drag, reference the "Powertrain Chart" to see how much the Flex shines in the fuel mileage department.

EDIT:

Test results found under "Introduction" on right side of page.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I love all the arm chair engineers in this thread.

Quick Reply: Performance