Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 F150 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
stanger_missle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F150 questions

I have been doing some research on my truck, but there are a few things I cannot get a clear answer on. First, its a 1995 5.8L/E4OD. I'm assuming its speed density because I cannot find a MAF meter anywhere in the intake tract. Where is the SD meter at? I followed the intake from the air box to the throttle body and I don't see anything that would resemble a SD meter.

Second, I guess I have the worst combination for a MAF conversion. If I attempt it, I want to go the DIY/junkyard route. Are all pre-1996 5.8l/E4OD speed density? I can't use 1996 and up because of them being OBDII. Basically, if I can't source all of the parts from a junkyard and I have to do a major rewire, I'm not doing it. Its just too much effort/money for a $2000 truck .

Third, how would I know if my 351 is a "true" roller engine? I heard before that I can look on the block down by the starter to get the casting number to see if its a roller block. But what about the cam? I thought the Lightning 5.8Ls were the only "true" roller engine.

I kinda wanted to do some small performance upgrades (extreme case being ported E7TEs, intake, small torquey cam and exhaust), but I want to know what I am dealing with first.

Thanks a ton fellas! It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge and experience reside on FTE .

Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Your truck is almost definitly speed density. SD doesn't have a meter. Does it have 2 tubes running all the way from the throttle body to the air filter box? If so, its SD. If it is mass air there will be a sensor at the air box and a single larger tube running into a Y just before the throttle body.

As far as upgrades:
A cam could be a good choice. Maybe Conanski will chime in.
The truck upper/lower intake is more than adequate.
Ported heads would be good.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the reading I've done on here, I'd suggest putting the head porting a lot lower on your to-do list. I've got almost the exact truck and everything I've read says that a better cam and exhaust work is the ticket. According to other threads I've read, the cost of head work on these heads isn't worth the result. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
As stated above, there is not a "speed density sensor." The term speed density refers to how the computer determines how much fuel the engine needs - speed is engine speed (RPM) and density is determined using a manifold absolute pressure sensor.

I'm not sure which year 351's had a roller cam from the factory, but all 351 blocks from 94-on were roller ready. Without taking off a valve cover or intake manifold, I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it has a roller cam or not.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
stanger_missle
Senior User
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
As stated above, there is not a "speed density sensor." The term speed density refers to how the computer determines how much fuel the engine needs - speed is engine speed (RPM) and density is determined using a manifold absolute pressure sensor.

I'm not sure which year 351's had a roller cam from the factory, but all 351 blocks from 94-on were roller ready. Without taking off a valve cover or intake manifold, I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it has a roller cam or not.

Ahhhh. I understand now... My buddy had a 1987 Turbocoupe that was speed density. It had a box under the airbox that had a movable flap that measured airflow into the engine. Thats what I think of when I hear speed density. I think it was called Vane AirFlow (VAF).

So, in theory, I could by a roller cam and it would fit? Or I would have to buy the conversion spiders and rocker arms for it to work? I would be looking for a low end, towing type cam. Any suggestions?

Even though I only paid $2000 for the truck, I still want to hang on to it for as long as I can. So far I have replaced the front drive axle u-joints and the waterpump. I also have replacement rear spring hangers and shackles. I like keeping my options open .

Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM
stanger_missle
Senior User
Originally Posted by BCHauler
From the reading I've done on here, I'd suggest putting the head porting a lot lower on your to-do list. I've got almost the exact truck and everything I've read says that a better cam and exhaust work is the ticket. According to other threads I've read, the cost of head work on these heads isn't worth the result. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

What if I could find some GT40 or GT40Ps? I have a 1993 Mustang GT Hatch and I regularly hang out on Mustang forums. I'm sure I could find some for cheap.

I like budget-minded upgrades. Just small things here and there to increase performance and reliability. I'm also thinking of a shift kit for the E4OD.