Aftermarket water necks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
TexasRho83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket water necks...

I hate people who put the cheap aftermarket chrome **** on their engines - well let me rephrase...I hate people who do all that and then I buy their truck to have to deal with the b.s. that follows shoddy hardware lol

Currently noticed a leak comin out of my thermostat housing water neck and thought eh no big deal just a gasket problem. Pulled the thing off and noticed the chrome neck had an inner O ring + the felpro gasket that was added to it. Went to the store and bought a new gasket even when I noticed there wasn't anything wrong with the one I took off (decided to put a new thermostat in while I'm at it). So I get back and put everything back together but after I put the radiator hose to the neck, water and air was squeezing out the bottom of the neck. Pull the stupid thing off again and re-assess the situation. Decided I would go back and try to get an OEM neck - O'Reilly's don't have one. Went to Autozone. They don't have one. Picked up a new gasket and decided to try the neck w/o the O ring and just the gasket. Miserable failure.

Ordered the OEM neck and it should be in tomorrow morning. Better work!

Yeah easy fix but eh I'm hungry and grumpy lol.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one off those cheap aftermarket waternecks with the o-rings. It was soo warped from them it leaked really bad. Finally put on a mill and put it straight then put a regular gasket on it. Been fine since I redid it.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
TexasRho83
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dirt racer
I had one off those cheap aftermarket waternecks with the o-rings. It was soo warped from them it leaked really bad. Finally put on a mill and put it straight then put a regular gasket on it. Been fine since I redid it.
Why did you go through all that crap when you could've just bought an OEM housing?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if you have a water neck with an Oring you should never try to use a gasket, they don't work been there done that.
I personally prefer to have GOOD water neck with the oring seal myself but I agree you get what you pay for. If I am going aftermarket water neck I buy GOOD alum versions instead of stamped steal chrome.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already had the crappy crome one and had the mill at work so that was free.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 AM
TexasRho83
Senior User
So I put on the OEM neck and gasket and thought done deal. Eh still leaking. Looks like it's coming up through one of the bolt holes (closest to carb) WTF!!!

I tightened it down a little more...hopefully that'll kill this stubborn a$$ leak!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRho83
So I put on the OEM neck and gasket and thought done deal. Eh still leaking. Looks like it's coming up through one of the bolt holes (closest to carb) WTF!!!

I tightened it down a little more...hopefully that'll kill this stubborn a$$ leak!!!
Just put some gasket sealer on the bolt threads like you should have done to start with. Any bolt that goes into a water jacket should always have sealer on it or Loctite. Anything as threads will not always form a water tight seal.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I always use Permatex/Locktite PST thread sealant w/ Teflon on anything that threads into the water jacket.
YMMV