1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Is there an issue with Exped ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM
yosemitesamiam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is sort of on topic. Ha my uppers replace 10k ago, everything good. Had two tires replaced just a couple months ago and had front end aligned. Old rears went on front, new rears in a C load put on back. Now, it seems like it is a rut magnet. Feels like the goofy mobile on the highway or street...one time it's going right next it's going left...almost like there is no middle in the wheel. It's bizarre. Anyone get this in their front end where it's really easy to unsettle even on straight road? Seems low speed cornering it likes best. Can pitch it in, etc on twisty roads. Nothing is binding, etc. nothing feels loose either. I just don't get it.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Randoo
New User
Toe angle effects straight line tracking. It sounds like you have a tow adjustment issue, due to the "wandering" you are essentially describing.
When switching out the rear tires to the front, did you check/adjust the tire pressure? It's amazing how much this can change steering performance.
I have always felt my Expedition steering is odd compaired to all other Fords I have driven.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM
yosemitesamiam
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randoo
Toe angle effects straight line tracking. It sounds like you have a tow adjustment issue, due to the "wandering" you are essentially describing.
When switching out the rear tires to the front, did you check/adjust the tire pressure? It's amazing how much this can change steering performance.
I have always felt my Expedition steering is odd compaired to all other Fords I have driven.
Interesting you mention this. First off...I've had pressure all the way from the door recommended 30psi, in five lb increments all the way to the max tire pressure of 44psi. Little to no effect.

Fronts are now wearing evenly.

I have my measurements before and after the alignment:

left front was -0.02 degrees right front was 0.17 degrees. Total toe was 0.15 degrees. Finally, Steer ahead was -0.10 degrees.

Current measurements:

left front is now 0.13 degrees right front is now 0.14 degrees. Total toe is now 0.28 degrees, and steer ahead is 0.00 degrees.

Those are really the only things adjusted. Caster and Camber are unchanged. May be worth mentioning Camber on the front Left is right to limit of spec at -0.9 degrees. Right front Camber is 0.2 degrees.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
yosemitesamiam
Senior User
I guess the question is now...what toe angle are you guys finding yourself happy with? I'll bring it down and tell them to fix er up!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by yosemitesamiam
I guess the question is now...what toe angle are you guys finding yourself happy with? I'll bring it down and tell them to fix er up!
Assuming you are talking about the XLT 4X4 without Air Suspension, your toe (in degrees) is within spec for a non-Air Suspension Expy.

On my personal Navi 4X4 (with Air Suspension), I have my toe set at 0.00 inches each side, so the total toe is also 0.00 inches. (I run with this to try and maximize fuel mileage. )

Caster, I have the left side at 4.6* and the right side at 5.6*. Spec calls for .5* more caster on the right side, but I run 1* more because most of my driving is on Secondary two lane crowned roads.

Camber, I have -.5* on the left and 0* on the right, that's with a full tank of fuel.

Note: these are my settings for an Air Suspension truck so they may not work for your non-Air Suspension XLT.

You might want to check your ride height, as sagging torsion bars or rear springs will effect the caster and camber settings.

Caster and /or camber changes will effect toe settings, but toe changes will not effect caster and/or camber settings.

Also, you might want to try mounting the head at different locations on each wheel to see if you get the same readings as you may have a wheel or two that are no longer running true.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM
yosemitesamiam
Senior User
Yea sorry XLT 4x4 standard suspension. Ride height all right on...hmmm maybe a bit more or less toe within spec is called for...do you track well at zero?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Toe angle effects straight line tracking.
Actually it is Caster that effects straight line travel. The toe being in or out is most noticeable when the edge of the tire grabs a rise in the road and follows it. This is commonly referred to as trolley tracking because of the similar way a trolley follows a track.

Here is a fairly good explanation of toe, caster, and camber for front ends.
Caster, Camber, Toe

Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
yosemitesamiam
Senior User
I've a crap load of trolley tracking. Lots of beat pavement here. I can live with some goofy mobile feel but on freeway it's dangerous. I find myself correcting too much. I'll read this thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
My2000Expy
Freshman User
Am I just imagining things or is there a defined design flaw with Expedition lower ball joints?
I had to replace my lower ball joints on my 99 Expedition 4x4 last year at 105,000 miles. Factory Ford joints should last a little longer. My truck is mostly street driven with some minor beach driving, on stock wheels and one size bigger BFG A/T's.
The lower ball joints are bad again just 15,000 miles later.
I used aftermarket ball joints but can't remember what brand.
I know someone else that has had the same problem with less miles.
Some things I have heard:
-Ford ball joints are no good for replacement.
-Moog ball joints are the only kind to use.
-Any other kind can/will fail again in as little as one year.
Does anyone have any info on this? or the same experience? Did you use Moog, Ford or other?
Thanks for your input.
Allow me to provide you some edumacation as a result of my experience.

The Ford BJ suck. Theyre sealed. They go dry and squeal in winters.
Moog used to be good till they moved manufacturing to Mexico.
Best you can buy and made in America, I bought off Rockauto, Raybestos, the Professional Grade only..More Information for RAYBESTOS 5051281

Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM
scottspoerry
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloro
Are you replacing them with cheap parts or high end ones?

I am at 210k miles. I've tried OEM and good ones from other sources.

It's not possible to read through the posts on this sight going back many years and not conclude that for whatever reason (design?) the 99-03 era expeditions just tear up the front ends....unlike any truck I have ever owned. Those trucks had other issues....sure...but not front suspensions.

I recall going up hills with broad sweeping turns and having the steering literally jump...you could feel it. New idler and Pitman arms finally solved that problem. But nobody suggested doing the idler arms...I just said screw it, do both of them this time. THAT's when the steering finally got a lot better. And don't even get me started on the 50mph wobble.

So if I am replacing one of the arms, I will always do both. I think that if I redo the front end, this truck can last two more years and pass inspections. Suspension is the only problem that came up the other day when it failed the Virginia safety inspection.

And if I am doing ball joints...screw it...both sides and upper and lower. I swear to god I have had ball joints go from good to bad overnight.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by scottspoerry
I swear to god I have had ball joints go from good to bad overnight.
Yeah they'll do that when they fall in with the wrong crowd and start drinking and doing drugs.