1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help For All You Newbies !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
John, what a complete and useful article for those new to this addictio ... I mean hobby. Along with about a million other folks, I wish this had been available when I bought Earl. I made several of the bonehead mistakes you have guided others around. In the end, though, I was lucky enough to be a part of the FTE fellas and gals and all the help and advice kept me on the straight path - mostly.

Thanks for taking the time to write a great article. I promise to remind newbies to read it whenever the opportunity arises.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Jetman
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice

Great information. Keep it going

Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Good link.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
SVT-F100
Tuned

My first official post on FTE.

I was born a Ford Man. Mother retired from Ford, currently Dad has F150 and probe, mom has Fusion, Wife has a Focus, and I have 04 SVT Cobra and on and on with sisters and cousins.

I love my Cobra but always dreamed of a vintage Ford. With that in mind this Friday I made the big step and purchased a 55 F100. There is a lot to learn, time, and sweat needed but with people like you posting great information I foresee a great adventure.

Thank you all for your posts and your assistance in advance.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You should probably introduce yourself in a new thread rather than posting to an existing one, but welcome to FTE anyway!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

Thanks GNW will take that into consideration and post later on after work.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome SVT-F100

If you get over to Yountville. Stop by and see me neighbor.

Goodluck

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
KC Ray
Junior User
Good article! I will have to make that priority list! It's kinda in my head, but I know I'm missing a lot of aspects to what needs to be done. Thanks guys!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM
calebbrewer74
New User
my alternator light in my truck wont shut off,cant figure it out

what is some things to check to shut my alternator light off

Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
stan48312
New User
Newbie to forum (experienced Newbie)

Good article. I just bought and started on another project; a 56 ford truck. I have done several other cars and just finished up a 4 year restomod on a '69 mustang coupe that I love. I am leaving that one to my 7 year old granddaughter and got the '56 to finish for my 5 year old grandson. Now thats planning ! HA
The decisions mentioned in the article are truly valid. It's hard enough to picture the end product when it is for yourself, let alone a grandchild. Many years of future, change everything, but what's another challenge ?

This truck is so clean I want to keep it as original as I can but upgrade the safety and operational aspects; (steering, brakes and possibly an auto trans if nec). Most of this can be purchased as kits due to the popularity of these trucks. Since I am not the first to try these conversions, I plan to tap info from this forum and add info as I can.

I found this truck in the city and paid $4200 for it. I saw it listed on craigslist for a whole year with pictures. I couldn't figure out why it had not be scarfed up by now. I called the lady and realized she was still in love with the truck and wanted folks to see it but really didn't want to sell it. I talked to her last fall but she wouldn't set a firm price and would write down names and offers. Well winter came, The ad on CL was removed but I saved her name and phone number. In Feb I fell and broke my hip. while on the operating table I had a heart attack. I am not a newbie at this stuff, when you get to be 65 you experience such minor infractions like this and strokes and all the other stuff that comes along. It does slow up the work I can do, but what the hell ? I got it home, have torn down the top part of running 272 engine to be sure internals were all good. Am just about to start putting it together. I always do "end to end" rework of mechanicals first. I let my wife pick out the paint colors as she is very good at that. She has helped me pull and replace about 6 engines/trans. That's what makes a team.

I have purchased the new Power brake booster and disc brake conversion kit. I will post any problems I find with the install, but it seems pretty simple. I havent decided on the power steering system to use yet, so if you have any idea, pls let me know. I have very minor body work to do, so that is a blessing compared to my other projects here in Michigan. I have found also that it is cheaper doing a restomod than a restoration. There are plenty of original spare parts around, but they command a good price on ebay.

Enjoy your toyz boyz !

Old 08-28-2010, 04:46 PM
audra805
New User
Wink 1950 F1 oil/fluids

Originally Posted by 56efffie
I recall reading alot of this invaluable info through the years here. I hope all the newbies find it as helpful as I did. Thanks again John!
Hey, I'm totally new to forum use. Hoping I could get some help. Gotta look up what type fluids for this 1950 F1. Trans oil, engine oil, coolant and differential (?) oil, brake fluid (Dot3?). I am new to mechanic shop and already get crap for being a girl. I haven't had luck looking up the info I need. audra805@yahoo.com

Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Rust_Rat
New User
Originally Posted by audra805
Hey, I'm totally new to forum use. Hoping I could get some help. Gotta look up what type fluids for this 1950 F1. Trans oil, engine oil, coolant and differential (?) oil, brake fluid (Dot3?). I am new to mechanic shop and already get crap for being a girl. I haven't had luck looking up the info I need. audra805@yahoo.com
Getting crap for being a girl, eh? That will stop when you get it running. I know quite a few capable mechanics who are girls, one who can also weld underwater! Your sex is only a hindrance if you think it is.

Good luck with your F1!
-Rust Rattus

Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WOW...

Great advice, put in great words. I've had a '54 Panel sitting on its rims on a cement strip in the backyard for nearly two years now and the "plan" is barely starting to look like one.

This is great word to keep in mind while I move forward with it. There's a story behind it, that the forum will eventually know of. Thanks for taking the time of putting it together and sharing it John.

Eduardo

Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well thought out. Nice article. Thanks

Tom

Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
hylkman56
Freshman User
Great read, as I start to get back into the hobby.....thanks!

Quick Reply: Help For All You Newbies !!!