General Automotive Discussion

Support Breast Cancer Awareness

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Support Breast Cancer Awareness

In fitting with our current ride of the week, which was built to improve awareness on Breast Cancer:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6692639

And it being Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Ford-Trucks encourages you to support Breast Cancer, through informing others, and donate to their cause if you can:
BreastCancer.org - Breast Cancer Treatment Information and Pictures

Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
41inWV
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you folks SO very MUCH !

This sort of notoriaty is precisely this mission of this truck build. We're all 'aware' of cancer, but if ONE woman is encouraged to get regular screening because of it, the truck has MORE than served it's purpose.

And besides......it makes my wife happy

Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
dusred
Junior User
That's a very thoughtful idea. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone close got Breast Cancer.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent deal. At the Relay for Life event we had last summer the local car club was extremly helpful.

Great cause.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having lost a wife and now having a sister with breast cancer, this is a great idea!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
dallbright
Senior User
With ALL due respect...

I know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but shouldn't ALL cancers share in equal awareness, promotion of research for treatment and cures, and funding?

For instance, far more men will get prostrate cancer, but that disease doesn't get near the press (or funding) breast cancer does, even though most men will have it once they reach a certain age.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
41inWV
Senior User

Originally Posted by dallbright
I know someone is going to hate me for saying this, but shouldn't ALL cancers share in equal awareness, promotion of research for treatment and cures, and funding?

For instance, far more men will get prostrate cancer, but that disease doesn't get near the press (or funding) breast cancer does, even though most men will have it once they reach a certain age.

In my case, I have selected several organizations that I personally feel deserve my support. Susan G Komen, National Lung Cancer institute, Stand up to Cancer ,etc. Just because your perception is that Breast Cancer has the most "support" because you perceive it so because of the advertising it does doesn't make your perception correct. Instead of worrying about those 'perceptions', I would suggest picking something important to you and making your mission to support those causes.

Being a conservative republican, I'm not a buyer of what sounds like our new president elects 'redistribution' mentality. Although, one organization I listed above (Stand Up To Cancer) is predicated on using it's resources to join various scientists working on similar Cancer issues. No rule I'm aware of limiting how MANY organizations you can support.

People with MS probably say.....how come everything is about Cancer.....then there's the Autism cause.........anyone for the Aids cause ???? We have plenty of choices to make, just be sure to make a choice and DO SOMETHING.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two computers folding proteins for disease research (not necessarily only cancer) through Stanford's Folding@Home. It may not be much, but it's something pretty much any of us here can do. Join up, FTE is team #53449. A cousin of mine just passed a couple months ago at 42 after 7 years of battling cancer off and on.

Jason

Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
dallbright
Senior User
Guess I stepped in it

Originally Posted by 41inWV
....Just because your perception is that Breast Cancer has the most "support" because you perceive it so because of the advertising it does doesn't make your perception correct.........

..........Instead of worrying about those 'perceptions', I would suggest picking something important to you and making your mission to support those causes..........

.......Being a conservative republican, I'm not a buyer of what sounds like our new president elects 'redistribution' mentality.........
From The National Cancer Institute's web page:
<table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr valign="middle" align="center"><td width="18%"><center> Cancer Site</center></td> <td width="25%">
2005 Spending
(actual, in millions)

</td> <td width="29%">
2006 Spending
(estimated, in millions)

</td> <td width="28%">
2007 Spending
(estimated, in millions)

</td> </tr></tbody></table> <table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr> <td width="18%"><center>
Breast

</center></td> <td width="25%"><center>
$560.1

</center></td> <td width="28%"><center>
$557.3

</center></td> <td width="29%"><center>
$551.1

</center></td> </tr><tr> <td><center>
Colorectal

</center></td> <td><center>
$253.1

$251.9

$249.1

Lung

$266.1

$264.8

$261.9

Prostate

$309.0

$309.0

$305.6

</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
No perceptions needed, friend. I have made my choice. My dear wife is a brain tumor survivor. Anyone who has dealt with this knows even a slow growing tumor is an abnormal growth of cells...first cousin, maybe brother of cancer. Looks like the colorectal people are getting it in the.....funding wise.

Our younger son has been diabetic since he was seven (28 years now). We send our support to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.

Oh you conservative Republicans......you're far too liberal for me! I left the "R" column long ago when our Gov. George Pataki (R-NY) acted too much like a "D". I couldn't take it anymore...I'd rather wander alone in the woods than sell my soul....

Old 11-26-2008, 06:24 AM
41inWV
Senior User

God bless you and your family, I will hold positive thought and keep them in my prayers too.

...and trust me when I say, I have not nor will I ever "sell my soul"

enough said !

Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM
dallbright
Senior User
I never really thought you would.

I just had to give you a little jab there . Thanks for the prayers.

Sorry to hear the news, Jason. This stuff is everywhere and touches everyone, directly or otherwise.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was begining to wonder if anything I did here made a difference.

Thank God for you all!

(I mean that sincerely)

I think this thread has had it's run and doesn't need to be a sticky anymore. I don't really care for sticky's and today was the first time I acutally read this thread. - horsepuller