Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Mississippi Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.
Mississippi Music, Literature & Culture (Our Gifts to The World)

Think about how bland life would be if it were not for the contributions that Mississippians have made.

Blues, Jazz, Rock & Roll & all the variants that grew from them have their roots in the fertile soil of the Delta. Our writers have formed words that touch the minds of all peoples across the planet regardless of language. Our Artists paint & shape the materials of our land to display their love of it. The actors born here entertain billions with their craft on both the big & little screens. Our athletes are champions in all sports. Our military soldiers & leaders have been key to keeping our country free.

Our history, despite dark periods, is an example of how good can triumph over evil and the inherent goodness of people when united and the beauty & signifigance of their crafts.

Please feel free to talk/discuss your favorite song/music/singer/band/book/writer/movie/actor/food/historical site/school/scientist/artist/actor etc, etc that is a product of the Great State Of Missisippi.

And no, you don't have to be a native to contribute. That wouldn't be representative of the place that is known as the "Hospitality State".

Have fun Yall...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
This is a great idea for a chapter thread, David.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think Mississippi music is all of those great bluesmen - Son House, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker among others - and what an influence they had on Rock and Roll.

Edit: I just realized i left out B.B. - but I had to stop somewhere...
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yal would be supprised how many folks i run into that swear elvis is from memphis and they can't believe he was born in tupelo!!
PAA #27
North Mississippi Regional Director

1999 F-250 Superduty 7.3 CC 4x4
Diablo Predator, Autometer gauges,4" turbo back,6637 filter w/ Pete's Cover, Foil Delete,HPX, Cobra 29 w/echo, super swing kit, and talk back,Sportsman Camo Covers. a new door piece... springfield arms 9mm
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.Scndsin has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks Steve B. When I thought about this thread, I started to make a list, but it would go on damn near forever. So I figured I'd let folks add their favs as we went. I knew of the Blues artists in the 60's, but it took the Stones, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Ten Years After & EC to make me reach back & learn more.

Big Steve one of these days I'm gonna visit that little house up there. The times I've been in Tupelo in the past I just didn't have the time to stop & see it. And speaking of Tupelo, somewhere in my music collection I've got a tune by Cab Calloway about Tupelo.

We just lost one of our greats recently & can you imagine a world without "That good time music with the Bo' Didley Beat"?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Senior User

mds47588 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I work for Amtrak and every 2nd or 3rd trip someone will be getting off the train at Greenwood to find Robert Johnson's gravesite. Trouble is, there's at least four of 'em.
'92 Chevrolet C-3500 5.7L/5 speed extd cab dually
'82 F-150 LB/5.8
...all kept at a lil house in south Mississippi...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 PM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
I work for Amtrak

^^^ Ever checked out the Casey Jones wreck site? There's a lil' run down museum, but I've never gotten by when its open.

Quote:
Trouble is, there's at least four of 'em.
I've seen a program showing some of the locations. Though they'd figgured out the most likely site.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Senior User

Never been to the Casey Jones musuem. Lot of folklore associated with him as in many other historical figures, but he was known to be looking at the bottom of the bottle quite often, and by most accounts he was under the influence that fateful night. The "ripsaw" manuever that was supposed to take place is still something that occurs daily, even now. Especially now with the length that some of the freight trains are.
'82 F-150 LB/5.8
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior User

Mitchissippi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Charlie Pride
Hank Cochran
Tennessee Williams (I think)
Marty Stewart
Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Quote:
The "ripsaw" manuever that was supposed to take place is still something that occurs daily, even now. Especially now with the length that some of the freight trains are.
I wanted to ask you about that, but got off on another tangent.

Started thinking about Jimmie Rodgers, "The Singing Brakeman" from Meridian. Considered "The Father" or one of, country music. One of the first to record country music.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Right on all counts Mitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchissippi View Post
Charlie Pride March 18th, 1938 Sledge
Hank Cochran Aug 2nd, 1935 Isola
Tennessee Williams (I think) March 26, 1911 Columbus
Marty Stewart Sept 30th, 1958 Philadelphia

Turns out I'm just shy a week older than Marty.

Wish I had a fraction of his talent. (And his money)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior User

Faith Hill!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
MS Sweet Magnolia Blues

Her parents live 9-10 miles south of here on a nice little place she built. I've done service work there for them a few times. They're really nice people. Never met her though.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Senior User

HAAAAW!!!!! Mr. Jerry Clower!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior User

Jim Henson = Creator of the Muppets.
How could one forget John Grisham from Southaven. He now lives in Charlottesville Virginia and our train literally is almost right in the backyard of his horse farm, just a few miles south of the station.
'82 F-150 LB/5.8
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Senior User

Too late to edit, but does Brett Favre from Kiln count?
'82 F-150 LB/5.8
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Mississippi Chapter

Tags
4wheel, culture, drive, ford, gifts, literature, mississippi, mississippian, music, truck