1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 f3 front leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
elliot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 f3 front leaf springs

i attemped to remove some leafs and left 4 now the spring is bending the wrong way i am going to put one back in. are there any other leafs that i can use or should i just get a new set thanks elliot

Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Elliot!

Rosta Ruck finding new springs for your truck.

The spring shop I took mine to says they can "respring" the leaves, but they do that by ADDING leaves, not removing them. Chances are if you have the original springs on your truck, you are pretty lucky if they are still functioning at "full spring." If your goal is to lower your truck, there are kits or other ways to do it. If you keep driving on those four springs you'll ruin them in short order - then you're in trouble.

You might want to drive down to the local spring shop and chat for awhile with them about what you want to do.

J!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 PM
elliot
Freshman User
i put one leaf back in that helped alot and was thinkingabout putting overload springs on the shocks.i am trying to lower the truck and change it to an f1 i just put another rear in it and put disc on the front thanks elliot

Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI Elliot,

I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't, that F3 front fender wheel opening is about 3 inches (radius) bigger than the F1s. So if you put 15 inch whells on it and modern day radials, it's going to look like it needs to be lowered in order to make the wheel fit he opening.

Maybe one thing that will help out your look might be to put F1 front fenders on it - if you haven't already.

Just a thought
J!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 AM
elliot
Freshman User
when i changed the bed i put f1 fenders on the back, i do not want to put fiberglass ones on. i did change the front fenders to another set of f3s because mine were very bad and hope to modify them to f1s. would you know if the wheelopening on a 1948 panel would be the same because my friend has a truck i could use to copy the opening thanks elliot

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 AM
john smith jr
Senior User
E L L I Ot........p H O N E H O M E