Sponsored by:

the goodies... need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prozon
Why is everyone saying that i'm out for posts? What the hell do I care what my post count is? Does it help in anyway ? No! You guys get too riled up when it comes to disagreeing with somebody. As I said, its my opinion. I have set up leafs and I have set up coils. I prefer leafs, so shoot me!

Is full hydro steering street legal? I'm fairly certain that its not. Just to reinforce your "hydro assist" idea. I mean, if that goes out, you can't steer AT ALL. And i'm not sure if you said anything other than "cheap" but what is that 79 d 60f costing you?
I wont say what he's paying for the axle, BUT it's Under a good price even.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote=Prozon;6682432
I mean, if that goes out, you can't steer AT ALL. [/quote]

This statement referenced hydro assist, and this statement is not quite true.
If there is a hydraulic failure, the ram can be disconnected, and the power steering will still work (provided the fluid is still kept at a minumum level)
Most failures come from either striking an object on the trail, and bending the ram, or cylinder. Again, this can simply be disconnected and it will still function.
Hydro assist, called "power assist steering" actually cam from the factory on 73 to 77 4x4 trucks. These are still on the street today, so reliability is very high on this style of a system. Failures are not common at all. Hydraulic rams are pretty robust, and failure rates are rather low.

Full Hydro is not considered a DOT legall upgrade, and it can be tough to drive on the street because of it no longer permits the steer wheels to return to center. While there are systems available to regulate pressures and allow the hydraulics to stabilize in a center position so the vehicle can steer like normal, this is a very expensive and complex alternative.
This still leaves the legality issues, since nothing has actually been approved by any DOT institutions.
We can actually really split hairs here and say that even cross over steering systems may not really be legal for street use.
I have yet to see any steering arms that have been approved by the DOT, and custom fabricated drag links pretty much state "for competition use" or for "Off road use only" and these too would not likely be "street legal".
Heak we can take that a step further, and add Shperical rod ends. Zero (that I can think of) are considered street legal, and we use them on the street every day.
My point here is that DOT concerns are probably not limiting factors, since we break the rules every day, but actual driveability might weigh in quite a bit more. This pretty much eliminates full hyfro for street use (not a legal issue) but the same is not true for hydro assist.
Hydro assist can be a very reliable system with very few failures, or chances of failure.
The benifits that hydro assist provides far outweighs any of the potential drawbacks.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
True. But it all depends how cops react around where you are. If they see you have a big ugly truck they could start looking at things just to be an *******. I got pulled over with for no mud flaps and the guy almost gave me a ticket.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
hpheltersnach
Senior User
I would have to agree with Franken Truck. If the 79 d60 is that good of a deal and you don't need the axle tube length for a custom suspension I would sell it for a good buck (which should be super easy) and buy a newer bolt in d60 and have some money left over for some goodies for it.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full hydo can be contolled if it goes out, but its like driving with no power steering. Plus some. That is just what i have heard.

I think i am leaning towards coils here...

As far as selling the axle, i could be persuaded to do so.
I will say that i got it on the CHEAP!!!!
Actually since its already a done deal. I got it for 750... That gets it to my door step.

as far as cops. There actually pretty lax around here atleast about big trucks andwhat not.
Now if your car looks fast or sounds fast... Then you got problems.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
something about using the right orbital valve or something or other. if you're actually serious about full hydro you'll want to go on pirate4x4 and read up, a lot of them have it.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Truckin4life
Yea i have done quite abit of reading on pirate about full hydro, but for some reason never hydro assist.

Heck if i could remember all the things ive read on pirate, i would be rich and smart...
or maybe not.

But really, i have spent MANY MANY hours just crusing through pirate and reading threads of intrest, and linking to more tech treads and usefull threads...

As far as full hydro i dont think its what i want to do right now.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Truckin4life
alright, well i will run coils...
gears 4.88... or should i go 5.13?

What else am i forgetting here.

I might just do a spool in the rear, or a locker, im not really decided here. Any suggestions?

Front will get locked for sure.

Quite possibly going to put a roll bar in it as well. I feel comfortable with the restraints in it for now. But its likely i will go to a 5-point system.

For the motor, ive already got a lead on some gt-40 heads. They are ported 40 mili's i am gettin a deal on them as well... But i want some serious power. The motor is bored already. Probably not going to stroke it, but i do want to get some forged internals....
Any suggestions on building the motor up? Im lookin for some opinions on that.

Dont just say. spray it, or boost it.
Lay out a "build sheet" not specific but an idea of parts to work with.

alright thats all for now.
im off to start pricing different options out.

Ill report back with what i find.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Truckin4life
Randy's ring and pinion. 2k. 4.88 gears front and rear, ARB selectable locker up front and detroit locker in the rear.

one question though, on the 60 front i need reverse cut gears dont I?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Missed what kind of axle you are using, but I think all ford 60s are high pinion. How are you going to set up the coils? I am thinking that you can basically copy a bronco SAS with 70s coil buckets and a custom track bar mount from the engine crossmember.

Regardless of what you do, post up pics. I love seeing other's builds.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Truckin4life
its a dana 60 front out of a 79 ford...
ill be leaving the stock sterling in the rear...

I will post up pics as i go along, ill have a build thread for the truck, ill will probably add in the fender trimming from the begging to the end product where ever that maybe

Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Will you be browsing the mall-crawler and trust fund threads for inspiration?
perhaps a pretty pastel powder coat on the front coils,and the biggest bfg A/t's you can find? Im sorry,really,but i coudnt resist,knowing the love youve expressed For those BFG's.................

Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Missed what kind of axle you are using, but I think all ford 60s are high pinion.
thats true but only after 1977.

unless you are building a trail truck of sorts that sees way more trail than street full hydro is not for you. contrary to common disbelief you can steer a full hydro system without hydraulic power just the same as you can manually steer any other truck minus hydraulics but ONLY with the proper steer valve. also its way to expensive for the average joe unless you flex the suspension too drastically for mech links. i had the extra cash and was tired of bending and breaking tie rods

-cutts-

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Yeah, I meant all fords 78 and up. Should have been more clear.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Truckin4life
Originally Posted by iggybob44
Will you be browsing the mall-crawler and trust fund threads for inspiration?
perhaps a pretty pastel powder coat on the front coils,and the biggest bfg A/t's you can find? Im sorry,really,but i coudnt resist,knowing the love youve expressed For those BFG's.................

lol
actually it will probably be built up on my 33" shovels, then i will swap the
37's on after it roll's out of the garage...

The shovels are a good tire! They are great if you are building a rig up, they only come in small sizes so when your done building throw them on and roll out, then put on the REAL tires!

Quick Reply: the goodies... need some opinions.