1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Totally Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Totally Stumped

I should say this is going to JOE. How in the world do you do that. I have
a nice Cannon that takes nice sharp photos. They are loaded in "my
documents". In other sites I belong to, to download a photo , in their
photo section I click on download photo, then click browse, click on
"my documents" click on the photo I want, then click on download. Bang
soom. If I want to includ a photo in a thread I can click on insert, browse,
click on what I want, then insert. There it is. This site will not let me do
that, which is so easy. However somehow I managed to get some in my
gallery and that took some time. Here you need some http number or
something. I dont even know what that means. I thought it means
hard top. If I only could do that, I probably could help a lot of people,
showing the power of a lathe. I make a lot of rare stuff on that thing.
Rare stuff like a photo of how to fix missing teeth on a ring gear without
taking it out. Example the fellow with his bashed in fender. That a normal
thing with trucks in construction you gotta see the tool I made to
straighten out the complex lip on these fenders which F100 you can get
my fenders you cant get. A photo will tell the story. I even made a
tool to make louvers , bead & cutter rollers. And I never took a lesson on
that, but, a local old timer god bless him gave me a lesson, gave me a
block and a round bar (steel) he said when I come back I want you to
make the round one square and the square one round?? Some reason
cold Buds make me think. I did it got photos so easy. Now if I can do
that, how come its so hard to download a photo in here.
Sam

Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
cause they control posting of photos to keep the space under control..

you have to put the pictures someplace

1. on some hosting site, like photobucket.com (free)
then link to them (include url to picture)
while in your photobucket album click on the direct link under the picture, (it will auto copy to the clipboard), then click the picture of the mountain here and paste in the link code.

2. in your fte gallery, then you have to clik the 'forum codes' link under the picture, manually copy & past the http://...... goop, between the [IMG] strings, then push the mountain picture... etc

3. IF you are a money contributing member, then you can paste INLINE up to 4 pictures I think, with limited size, without having to upload them first.
(you call it download, I always think of the server as UP from me)..

Sam

Old 10-12-2008, 08:29 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
When uploading pix to your gallery DON'T load the applet offered there. If you don't load it you can do it manually by brousing and selecting just like you are used to doing (assuming your picture file is not too large, check the file size limit specified). I resample my pix I want to upload to 600x800 pixels, 65dpi, *.jpg and compress them 50% with 10% smoothing in a photo retouching program, rename them to a recognizable name (using "save as" in the program file menu) then put them in a separate folder on my hard drive where I store all my uploaded images.
You cannot place a photo directly into a post unless you are a (paid) supporting member, but you can link to your gallery pic in the post.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Different, but the same?

Ax, my problem is my camera takes pictures in a big MB range and that by the time I have it reduced down to within size limits, it's dang near avatar size. Does your program reduce the pixels, yet keep the size big enough and still detailed enough?

I'd rather sacrifice quality/detail than picture size, but with both being reduced to fit on a page without scrolling up/down or side/side. Some emails without reducing pic size end up being so large, the picture doesn't make sense, lol....ends up scrolling over so far, one fails to see the "big" picture.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
yes, it has a function called resample where I can chose the picture size (in original size, mm, in, points or pixels, I select the smaller original dimension and set it to 600 pixels and click on maintain aspect ratio. 600 x 800 pixels displays the whole picture at a functional size on most monitors) resolution (in original, or choice of Dpi, I choose 72 as this is the resolution of most monitors) and save it with a new name and file type .jpg.
The .jpg filter gives me the choice of compressing and/or smoothing the file. I find I can compress pictures 50% with 10% smoothing without degrading the image. All that will reduce a 5MB picture file down to about 75K. Take a look at my gallery pix to see the quality that gives.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just copy and paste. I open a window for the "post reply" for the thread I want to reply in. I then open another window and go to the gallery photo. I bring up that image in the second window, and right click it. i select copy, and then go back over to the other window with the thread, and right click again, and then select paste. Voila, copied and pasted, picture now in the thread right where I want it. I don't have to copy any address, or go to some third party site and make people jump all over the net to find the image I want them to see.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Oh yeah, Ax is incorrect. You cannot add an attachment unless you are a paid supporting member, but oyu can add an image to any post be using the post reply button, instead of the quick reply box, and then copy and paste the image you want.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
learn something new every day!

Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Tell me about it. Today, I learned, that yellow jackets are far easier to drown in the cool weather of early fall then they are in the warmth of summer.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Nextime carry starting fluid, them nasty yellow jackets drop like a zero.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
My father was a roofer, and they would often encounter YJs and wasps occupying space they needed to work near. He and his work mates carried a trigger oil can filled with gasoline with their tools. A hard pull on the trigger would send a 15' long stream of lethality at the swarm or nest from a safe distance. They would simply drop like a stone, spin around on the ground for a few seconds and die. The gas fumes would evaporate in a couple minutes allowing them to work in safety. (and it had a tinge of sadistic fun...)
With the current gas prices it may be cheaper to use Chanel #5 tho.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
ROFLMAO. I have been stung three times in my life. Twice when I was little, and suffered mild to moderate reactions. The last time I was stung, and it was a yellow jacket, it was a couple years ago, while fighting wild fire here in central Oregon. They had to put a medivac chopper on stand by. Now, I'll kill the little pests, but I make dang sure I got some distance between me and them before I give it to em.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I had a yellow jacket/wasp nest on the back of my building was larger than your head!!

I used (2) 10' pieces of 3" electrical conduit on the end of my 6hp shop vac hose.

I just rested the conduit on a ladder and pushed the end of it up to the nest and bumped it.

They of course all came out of the nest like angry hornets do........right into the end of the conduit and right into the shop vac. Any hornets coming to investigate what was going on near the nest also went right into the tube.

Once the numbers dwindled (about 5-10 min) I started bumping the nest with the conduit and sucking large parts of the paper nest into the conduit until it ALL went into the vac.

Once it was all in the vac I removed the hose from the vac (with it still running) and sprayed hornet killer aerosol into the vac for about 20 sec or so.

When I opened the vac a little later there was NO movement inside.......

There were a few stragglers hanging around after it was all over but they didn't hang around very long... end of story.

Regards,

Rick

Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Woah! That was a cool idea up until you spayed the wasp killer into the running vacuum. These days with the worry that we are blowing holes in the atmosphere with freon, many aerosol sprays are using a "much more environmentally friendly" propellant: PROPANE! Yes the same stuff that powers your bic lighter and your gas grill was being sucked thru your running electrical motor. The hornet sprays also contain a light oil to knock down the flyers and make the poison stick to the nest and the little buggers. If a stray spark sets off the propane with a boom! then the oil will make sure the machine burns to the ground.
(A public service announcement, not a personal criticism of Rick)

Why can't I put smilies in my posts??? Yes smilies are "on"

Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rick!!

Looks like great minds run in the same track A? I had a similar experience about 20 years ago now. I was out front of my house working on my ******* Overland and was setting up my compressor for my air tools when I got stung right under my right arm. After doing the oh S&^% dance for a bit I realized what happened and took some caution were I was standing and tried to find the nest. I could not see the nest after about 15 minutes so I figured I caught a wild one somehow and went back to what I was doing and bang got stung again.

This time I sat a chair out on the front porch and waited till I could see where the little flying devils were. After a bit I caught sight of one weaving it's way through the bushes and then it was gone. So this went one for a bit till I discovered they were flying into and out of a knothole in the siding. The hole was about as big as my thumb and right outside the laundry room. I went in the house and knocked on the wall behind the dryer and listened and could hear the little buggers in the wall. I looked out the window and they were all over the place after I knocked on the wall.

After some thought I rigged up a 10-foot piece of PVC to the end of the hose of my girlfriends Rainbow Vacuum with good ole 100 mile an hour tape. I slowly pushed the pipe through the bushes to within about 3 inches of the knothole and waited. My girlfriend came home and found me and my buddy on the front porch with her rainbow vac runnin laughing our heads off.

The rainbow has the added feature of having a collection tank made of clear polycarbonate plastic so watching those Wasps do the 100 mile an hour tornado inside was worth it. Also there was not much left of the wasps afterwards so no spray was needed. Cleanup was easy, dump out what was left and hose it out.

My girlfriend however was NOT amused. I ended up sleeping on the couch that night and I ended up buying her a new tank for the rainbow because she insisted she could smell "something funny" every time she used it after that. After all it could not have been the vomit in the backseat of her car that she used the vacuum to clean up after a rowdy Saturday night with her friends could it? She had one of those typical friends who you could count on at a party to drink too much and wander off naked somewhere and pass out then wake up and spew all over the first person she seen.

Cyrus Cheers!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a trip!