6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Had enough....dumped my '08 6.4L yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
rrrr2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had enough....dumped my '08 6.4L yesterday

After a year of poor throttle response, shift choices that were apparently done by an electronic slot machine, incredibly poor fuel mileage, vacant stares from Ford service techs, and generally an all around complete cluster ***** of a vehicle, I unloaded my F-250 CC King Ranch on some poor unsuspecting dope.

He got a great deal......a $47K truck for $33K, only 20,000 miles, but I couldn't stand to drive the thing another day. As a matter of fact, it was parked in my shop for the last three months and I have been driving a '08 F-150 CC that is one of my company trucks. It's a nice vehicle, at least it gets 17 MPG like my 6.0L Excursion did and goes when I push on the gas.

A couple of weeks ago I found a V-10 Excursion with 27K miles for $11,500........Now I/m back where I started except for the gas engine, but I figure with the cost of diesel I'm not giving up anything. The Excursion is a helluva vehicle and I'm happy to have another one.

It really twists me off that I have owned several Ford diesel trucks that have performed great, and the 2008 6.4L was nothing more than a poorly thought out end-of-the-road half baked engineering dud that Ford sold to me with a straight face and a pat on the back. They never once offered any insight as to the issues with the engine, just acted like there was no problem at all.

It'll be a long time before I consider another Ford diesel product.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear about your crappy experience. Unfortunate situation for someone after they invest so much money in a truck.

I love my 08 but I know some people have had a bad time with them.

What job # was your 250?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
rrrr2
New User
I bought it in July '07 so I would say #1. Why couldn't the geniuses at Navistar make some programming changes to make it run? What was the difference between it and later models?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
It seems like most of the problems with the Job # 1 trucks have been solved by job # 3.

I totally agree with you that FORD should have the fixes for all of the problems for the job # 1 trucks as those are their responsibility.

I have read about a lot of dealerships not being cooperative with people regarding their problems with the job # 1 trucks which is just sh**ty to say the least.

I wonder if a lot of it is because the dealers just do not know what they should about the entire 6.4 and they get defensive? I think the biggest problems have come from the entire EPA required enviroment friendly system.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
KingRanch250
Senior User
My 08, 6.4 runs like a raped ape. I am very happy with the truck, with the exception of the mileage. I am averaging @ 12 mpg. But as far as the throttle response, it has less lag than my 06, 6.0 did. My truck is Job 3. Maybe thats the difference. Sorry to hear that you were un-happy with yours. You have to realize that this is a transition time for all diesel engine manufacturers As they struggle to meet new EPA guidelines, the consumer is sometimes made the "test rat". I am not saying that I agree with that but thats just the way it is. Things will only get worse for the 2010. I just don't understand what good they are doing making an engine better for the environment and causing it to burn more fuel. Good Luck to you on your next one. Wade

Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same problems with a Duramax, with thousands of owners documenting over heating issues and GM always saying to all that called to complain " Oh really your is the first one we have heard of" .

Anyway with poor diesel mileage at 12 mpg, I dumped it and went with a V10. I'm getting better mileage and no over heating problems.

I remember when I brought my 2000 Excursion in with repeated poor cooling ( it came out the vent at 72 degrees in the summer ) and Ford techs kept telling me that was within spec. WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME, ....on a GM temps come out at 42 degrees. " Nope sorry nothing is wrong with your vehicle"

Then I got Lemon law smart, my next two vehicle were bought back by the manufacturers. I don't deal with service anymore, it goes in three times, then I deal directly with the Mfg, who buy my vehicles back. No more blank looks or bs from service techs.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Sucks to lose that pretty 50 gallon tank you put under it....

You've been complaining since you've bought the thing, so I'm not suprised you dumped it. Better luck with the Ex.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:49 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Originally Posted by kendall69
I had the same problems with a Duramax, with thousands of owners documenting over heating issues and GM always saying to all that called to complain " Oh really your is the first one we have heard of" .

Anyway with poor diesel mileage at 12 mpg, I dumped it and went with a V10. I'm getting better mileage and no over heating problems.

I remember when I brought my 2000 Excursion in with repeated poor cooling ( it came out the vent at 72 degrees in the summer ) and Ford techs kept telling me that was within spec. WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME, ....on a GM temps come out at 42 degrees. " Nope sorry nothing is wrong with your vehicle"

Then I got Lemon law smart, my next two vehicle were bought back by the manufacturers. I don't deal with service anymore, it goes in three times, then I deal directly with the Mfg, who buy my vehicles back. No more blank looks or bs from service techs.

How many lemons do you get?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
All you needed to do was remove the Tier II emissions equipment mandated by our Govt.
A Spartan or SCT DPF delete program, a DPF/DOC delete pipe and you would have instantly gained over 200 HP, 5-7 mpg and tire ripping throttle response.
Don't blame Ford, they are doing what they have to do to pass Emissions. Don't blame the techs because 99% of them don't have a clue on how to get to the root of the problem.
A little more research and you could have avoided a ton of frustration and saved about 10K, and had a fire breathing monster like the rest of us who used a tuner to straightened out the truck's fuel program..

Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrrr2
After a year of poor throttle response, shift choices that were apparently done by an electronic slot machine, incredibly poor fuel mileage, vacant stares from Ford service techs, and generally an all around complete cluster ***** of a vehicle, I unloaded my F-250 CC King Ranch on some poor unsuspecting dope.

He got a great deal......a $47K truck for $33K, only 20,000 miles, but I couldn't stand to drive the thing another day. As a matter of fact, it was parked in my shop for the last three months and I have been driving a '08 F-150 CC that is one of my company trucks. It's a nice vehicle, at least it gets 17 MPG like my 6.0L Excursion did and goes when I push on the gas.

A couple of weeks ago I found a V-10 Excursion with 27K miles for $11,500........Now I/m back where I started except for the gas engine, but I figure with the cost of diesel I'm not giving up anything. The Excursion is a helluva vehicle and I'm happy to have another one.

It really twists me off that I have owned several Ford diesel trucks that have performed great, and the 2008 6.4L was nothing more than a poorly thought out end-of-the-road half baked engineering dud that Ford sold to me with a straight face and a pat on the back. They never once offered any insight as to the issues with the engine, just acted like there was no problem at all.

It'll be a long time before I consider another Ford diesel product.
Glad to hear that you are finally at peace. Confession is good for the soul

Old 09-28-2008, 09:59 AM
goneon66
Junior User
Originally Posted by George C
All you needed to do was remove the Tier II emissions equipment mandated by our Govt.
A Spartan or SCT DPF delete program, a DPF/DOC delete pipe and you would have instantly gained over 200 HP, 5-7 mpg and tire ripping throttle response.
Don't blame Ford, they are doing what they have to do to pass Emissions. Don't blame the techs because 99% of them don't have a clue on how to get to the root of the problem.
A little more research and you could have avoided a ton of frustration and saved about 10K, and had a fire breathing monster like the rest of us who used a tuner to straightened out the truck's fuel program..
i agree, after my warranty, if i still have this thing, i am going to seriously consider the dpf delete.......

i know this epa b.s. got shoved down all auto makers throats but..........

there is no excuse for not repairing defective components of these 50k trucks that we have all dumped our hard earned money into.

dpf's: deny, deny, and deny. when the techs call ford with the symptoms (sooty tailpipes, excessive smoke, no regens for 1000's of miles, etc.) and there are no codes thrown and you are told there is NO PROBLEM. what???? ford KNOWS there is a problem but they don't want to spend the $$ to back their product that was greedily released without proper r&d. when your truck's warranty has expired and you take it in with sooty tailpipes and excessive smoke, FORD will gladly replace your dpf at your cost and a profit for them. think about it, after our warranties expire, we are screwed.........

radiators: Ford knows they are junk. again, ford had NO problem taking our $$$ for these trucks but they STILL don't want to spend any of it on quality radiators. look at the bright side, when you are 5000 miles from home, towing your 5er, in the middle of nowhere, during an electrical storm, your radiator could implode leaving you stranded on the shoulder of an interstate with 18 wheelers blasting by you at 70 mph, but ford will gladly replace your radiator...............what a comforting thought.

the list goes on..........

yes, I DO BLAME FORD..........

Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
Lemons

How many lemons do you get?
TWO lemons. Two separate manufacture's.

Well since the "dealer" wants to quote " within FORD spec" to me, then I quote LEMON law to them.

Here is Ca. if you take a vehicle in three times for the same problem, it's a Lemon.

One vehicle died on the way home, I took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't duplicate the problem, so I picked it up it died, I caled them back and said you know that problem you couldn't duplicate, well I'm on the side of the road and I duplicated it - I took it back SAME day. Now that's TWO repair orders in one day ahhhhhhh. Next day they said OK it's fixed, drove it home it satalled, I said you didn't fix it I'm bringing it back. BINGO three repair orders in one week.

Now I deal with ONLY the manfaturer, send a certified letter, site the Lemon law send in proof of three visits, now they call ME begging for one more try. Knowing I can tell them to pound sand, I gave them one more try. Thu kept it two weeks, and called and said pick out a new one.

Here's the good part. The vehicle Ipurchased was one of those bait and switch vehicles thatthy advertise for real cheap to get suckers in and then say you don't want that one you wnat this one. Anyway I bought THAT ONE, which was 10K off retail. Now on the buy back they gve me RETAIL for that vehicle, but I also had to buy the new one at retail - I still amde out.

The first Lemom I used Lawyers and it cost them 60K plus a new vehicle, plus a five year warranty, plus I drove the lemon for three years for dree no milage taken off.

What I learned from the Alwyer I applied and did the second on on my own, and every vehicle since.

As we all know almost all vehicles have to go in more than three times for the same problem OR is out of service for many weeks, either way that all falls within my states Lemon laws.

Bottom line, I don't get jerked around by dealers I jerk dealers around. I got tired of it, and now I make them pay or do it right period.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
goneon66
Junior User
thanks for the info kendall.

i've already had -1- dpf replaced and now i haven't regened in over 1200 miles (one of the same symptoms from my previous cracked dpf). i'll put 2500 miles on her this week and see what happens.........

i've read that some people are already on their 2nd radiators with this 2008 6.4 psd. if they need a 3rd radiator would that qualify for the lemon law???

thanks,

Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 PM
richfaa
Elder User
On the other hand we have a early job 1 truck and execpt for a defective DPF early on has been flawless.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:56 PM
kendall69
Mountain Pass
in Arizona,:
It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if either:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
However, this presumption does not apply against a manufacturer unless the manufacturer has been given written notice from or on behalf of the consumer of the alleged defect and has had an opportunity to cure the alleged defect.

Most people won't bother they will just put up with it.

I on the other hand go back the same day and am a real PITA to the dealer, why not, if I spend 40K on a vehicle I want it perfect, am I asking for too much, I think not.

Keep taking your vehicle back till it meets your states Lemon Law rules, and follow the steps to make a complaint , not a huge problem.

Quick Reply: Had enough....dumped my '08 6.4L yesterday