1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying A Lifted 2000 F250... Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
99F350LIFT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying A Lifted 2000 F250... Need Some Help

Hello

I am currently selling my 2005 Cobalt SS/SC and I am just waiting for the guys approval for the lease.. So I have been looking at some trucks and some cars... I am debating between a lifted truck or a 2004 Cadillac CTS .. Lifted truck cause I have always wanted one and the Cadillac cause it's a very nice car and I drive in traffic so it would be nice.. So it's basically dream vs comfort..

So my questions are about this truck

Now the guy in his ad says it has a 15" lift on it.. Now when I stand beside it I am almost about eye level to the side of the bed.. I have 5'10 so the top of the box is approx 6 feet. Like I can't even see in the engine bay unless I stepped on the rim...

Now the truck is lifted with all spring in the front and the back has springs and a block.. The front axle is solid and has 2 steering stabalizers.. The tires are 44" super swampers.. It's the 7.3 with 105,000 miles on the truck.. It's got a diablo performance chip, 5" dual custom exhuast, side rails, its a long box as well, mickey thompson rims, cold air intake, 6 speed transmission. It is 4 wheel driver and has manual locking hubs.. The truck in in great condition for its age and runs strong.

So I don't wanna get ripped off so I am asking for advice from the group cause you know better then I know..

Now he says that because of the chip when you honk on it the Engine light comes on and then goes off.. And he says it affects the ABS or something so that light is on as well... Something to do with the chip..

Now I would need to drive this in the winter as well.. So my best bet would be to get rid of the swampers.. Does anyone have any suggestions on tires that I could use to use year round.. I am not using this to do any crazy off-roading. I just like the looks of lifted trucks..

Also.. The rear moutns of the struts.. I notice that the passenger side the bottom bracket for the strut is point more down and the drivers is up. It looks like the shocks are different lenghts.. Is that suppose to be like that?

Any comments of advice would be greatly appreciate.. As I am loooking to get into this or the CTS within a week or so..

Thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
99F350LIFT
Freshman User
Oh ya..

Asking Price is $18,000 he said he would do $16,000 CANADIAN

Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
Were all the accumulated miles put on the truck after it was lifted? If so, I would factor in a suspension rebuild (ball joints, etc)...

Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The price is right for that truck.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
99F350LIFT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rwhite692
Were all the accumulated miles put on the truck after it was lifted? If so, I would factor in a suspension rebuild (ball joints, etc)...
he said all it needs (and he will replace) is a left front tie rod.... and also a u-clamp for front differenctial or something

Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have crossover steering and a relocated trac bar?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 AM
CaRKrAzEE
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
Does it have crossover steering and a relocated trac bar?
in 44" there really arnt many options besides mud terrains. none of which are "good" in snow. i would try to find something in a radial but in that size there arnt a lot of options. what size are the rims?

i would try to find out more about the dash lights try to find out what code is being thrown. depending on the chip he used his programmer might pull it out of the trucks memory. and the chip should not have anything to do with the ABS that i have ever heard of...

...but my opinion, id drive a lifted Ford over any car, any day!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
NV250
Junior User
That is a beautiful truck! My advice is to bring it to a good mechanic or check it out really good yourself. With 15" lifts, there are a lot of things that could have gone bad on the truck, particullarly if it has been lifted all it's life. I just bought a F-250 crew v-10 with an 8" lift on 36" in. tires. I really wish I had gone to a truck shop or mechanic before buying it though. After 3 months, I have near six grand into repairs, including a tranny rebuild and am still working on getting the truck up to par.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Just my two cents worth but if you had asked for help in deciding between an F250 and an F350 or maybe even 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive it would be a toss up, but since you are trying to decide between a 15 inch lifted monster truck and a Cadillac, I would have to say stop and think about what you really want because it sounds like you don't really know; you just want to buy somethng.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
99F350LIFT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by high ho silver
Just my two cents worth but if you had asked for help in deciding between an F250 and an F350 or maybe even 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive it would be a toss up, but since you are trying to decide between a 15 inch lifted monster truck and a Cadillac, I would have to say stop and think about what you really want because it sounds like you don't really know; you just want to buy somethng.

It's not really about not knowing what I want...

I have always wanted a lift truck and everything.. The problem I am having deciding is if the truck is like gonna be in a pain in the *** for the winter and also if it's like practical for daily driving...

I mean it's high. but I don't need to jump into it.. but I do need to like grab something in the truck to get in.. The only thing I really am thinking about is the lift size.. I mean it's 15" (well so he says but it don't look that high compared to some 12" lifts I seen ont his site)

So if you were to choose between these 2 trucks then what would you say..

The second one is this..

2003 Ford F250
Lifted 8" with Superlift.. ALL BRAND NEW INSTALLED.. So the dealer just put a lift and nice tires on it to sell..
98,000km on it (so almost 61,000 miles)
Priced to me for $31,000 basically
Dual Steering Stabalizers
6.0L V8 Diesel
Like MINT condition
Crew Cab (mint shape inside)
Front Bucket Seats (not bench like the other truck)

link to the truck
2003 FORD F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Short Bed

The other truck needs this stuff replace too

Eventually a tailgate
Rear Window needs to be replaced before winter
The tire hit the fender and dented it a bit.. but not a big deal

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
CaRKrAzEE
Freshman User
if your lookin for a 6.0L stay away from the 03. first year of those has too many problems with the turbo and head gaskets. if you lookin in that price range i have an 04 with 49,xxx mi lifted and absolutly fawless that i am forced to get rid of. i will take $27k check it out my email is IMDAVIDJ11@AOL.COM i also have several more pics of interior and exterior
Race Ads | For Sale: Modified crewcab diesel

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know squat about lifts. The check engine light is probably an ICP code (injection control pressure) from the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) not keeping up with what's called for from the chipped programming. Does the truck have any gauges in it? Unless the diff gears have been changed out, you're putting quite a load on the engine with those tires when you mash the go pedal. I'd check for blowby and inspect the intake tube from personal experience (I've been looking at trucks too). I'm not so sure about the Diablo causing the ABS light to flash since performance tuning doesn't have anything to do with the brake system. Get that part checked by a mechanic.

Some of the 03 6.0's had some problems, so I'd get an OASIS done (you can get this for free down in the 6.0 section) so you know it's history. The link you provided shows it to be a 7.3, but doesn't show any under hood pics, or list the vin.

I'd pay attention to any questions DC Special asks about the lifts, and make sure you test drive the vehicles, including a test drive after he replaces the couple of parts that's "all it needs"

Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
CaRKrAzEE
Freshman User
the '03 is the first year of the 6.0L they have too many problems including the turbo and the headgaskets. but if you lookin in that price range i have an 04 6.0L lifted with 49,xxx mi lariat modified that is absolutly flawless that i am forced to sell but i will let it her go for $27k cuz she needs to go kwik. my email is IMDAVIDJ11@AOL.COM i have several pics of iside and out.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
CaRKrAzEE
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 99F350LIFT

The second one is this..

2003 Ford F250
Lifted 8" with Superlift.. ALL BRAND NEW INSTALLED.. So the dealer just put a lift and nice tires on it to sell..
6.0L V8 Diesel
Like MINT condition
Front Bucket Seats (not bench like the other t
the 03 is the first year of the 6.0L and they have a few problems with the turbo and headgaskets. but if your lookin for a nice truck in that price range i am forced to sell my 04 lifted diesel kwik. nicely modified lariat with only 49,xxx mi i will let go for $27,000 my email is IMDAVIDJ11@AOL.COM i have several more pics of inside and out if interested. heres a link to it
http://www.racingjunk.com/post/12815...b-diesel-.html

Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
CaRKrAzEE
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 99F350LIFT
The second one is this..

2003 Ford F250
6.0L V8 Diesel
Like MINT condition
Front Bucket Seats (not bench like the other truck)
stay away from the 03 diesles since they were the first year. if your lookin in that price i have an 04 lifted lariat with only 49,xxx mi that i will let go for only $27k here my email IMDAVIDJ11@AOL.COM i have several pics of inside and out if interested but heres a kwik link to view some mods

Quick Reply: Buying A Lifted 2000 F250... Need Some Help