Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Freestyle owners experience requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:31 PM
diamondt29
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 freestyle with 5700 miles for half the price of a new one. My 2000 x is getting tired and the mileage was killing us. we love the freestyle and is has plenty of room for the family. this was a concern. I am now looking at converting the x to a powerstroke from the v10 to keep for long trips where we need the extra room for luggage etc. would recomend the freestyle, you will not be dissapointed.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM
johnpvb
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great deal, diamondt29! Have been looking myself for a low mileage Freestyle. Did you get the extended warranty?

Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Scott_XLT
Senior User
OK, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've got an 06 Freestyle AWD with CVT and I love it. It does go great in the snow, and we've got two kids, but sometimes will be shuttling around family and friends such that all seats are taken, and it does a great job. In town mileage is not so great, around 18. However this is a seven passenger vehicle, so what does one expect? I have taken some highway trips where I have averaged 26 -27 mpgs. With the CVT, if you can keep the speed down a bit (~70 maybe) the CVT has a nice tall final gear ratio that can deliver great mileage for such a big vehicle. Plus I have hauled some bulky items in the back with the back two rows folded down, no problem. I highly recommend it.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by R-WEST
Just picked up an '08 Taurus X, and it's the same as the Freestyle, except for the tranny. I only have 200 miles experience with the new one, but I don't like that transmission already.

The Freestyle's CVT was light years ahead of this one - when I came to a hill or something, a little pressure on the loud pedal, and up we went. With this one, a little pressure gives - nothing - a little more pressure, still nothing, then a bunch of pressure and we're downshifting and revving like crazy. It feels like it's a 4-cylinder or something. Maybe a top-end run will show the 3.5's supposed extra 60 HP, but for general cruisng around, it's not impressing me.

And, while the CVT wasn't the greatest at holding you back when going down a steep'ish hill, it was a nuance I could live with. This one has an Overdrive cutout button on the side of the shifter, but even in "cutout" mode, it doesn't really hold you back very well. I think they should have kept the CVT.
I agree with you completely, the CVT is lightyears ahead of a coventional auto, the lack of downshifts is a huge plus in my book.

The problem is (from what I've been told) that the CVT was only designed to handle 221 lb-ft of torque and would have taken some pretty significant investment to be able to handle the 3.5s ~250 lb-ft. And most people are just accustomed to convetional auto and just can't wrap their minds around the CVT.

But I agree with you totally, once you become used to the CVT, going back to a conventional auto makes you feel like you're taking a step back into the stone ages.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
These posts seem to have halted around 2008 . Are any of you Freestyle owners still around here ? My daughter bought one a couple of years ago and I believe she is having that input shaft problem now . I see two of you had the problem at around 60K , one of you said it was a manufacturing defect , did they ( Ford ) admit this ? Anyone else have the issue since these postings ? I was just curious as to how you detected it was that , what were the symptoms or sounds ? Her's is making a ticking sound when the vehicle is in Park or Neutral and its definitely coming from that general area , its not a engine tick.

Thanks for any help

XJ

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
My father bought one in 06 the same time I bought my wife's new Freestar.Needles to say the Freestyle stayed in the shop with transmission trouble for about half of the time he had it.Ended up swapping it for a Freestar in late 06

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Diesel Smoker
Senior User
I posted back in 08 wow but still have 06 freestyle AWD now has 96,000 miles. Still no problems change oil every 3-5000 miles rear brakes once and tires once.Still looks like a new car even after 5 years of wi winters.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
We have an '07 we bought new in June, 2007. Black Limited.

It has always been my favorite "family" vehicle we've ever had. But I'm slowing turning away from that. It has a little over 50K and has been driven by my slow, easy driving wife since new.

First, it was the throttle body intake sensor.
Last month, it was the AC compressor.
The dealership keeps reminding me about the rear brakes getting very close and how the rotors must be replaced as well.

Yes, its been four years. But I've had many vehicles do far better. My biggest issue is how I read each of these problems I've had is a "common" problem with the Freestyle. Dang, is there anything else coming up that's a common problem? That compressor replacement was a doozy.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
XJeepGuy
Senior User
Well the dealer ended up taking back her car and exchanging it for something else . She now drives a 08 Charger