Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need second opinion on odd brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
mstngmikegt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need second opinion on odd brake noise

Did front brakes on my 95 F150 4X4 now twice. Thought I had some glazed pads so got them warranted and went with a different brand. Old pads looked evenly worn (barely..only had maybe 2K on em) and did have a glazed look to them. Pedal feel was fine although seemed a bit stiff. Calipers seemed free and normal, hardware is fresh and pins in good shape. Reason I changed em again is that I kept getting a bad squeak unless heavy on the pedal (like glazed pads). Odd thing is it seems to be doing it again now with the new pads but while much lighter, only on the driver's side. When brakes are applied traveling straight, no squeak to speak of. Pedal feel is normal, not stiff or soft. Truck does have a very slight right pull (alignment is right on and front end is pretty fresh..maybe 5000 miles...so I blame tires) and thus also has one when braking, but not anything significantly more than off brakes. When slowing into a low speed turn right, nothing. When slowing into a low speed turn left, I get some light squeak and it persists after off the brakes until the wheel is straight. Is not really loud or causes a pull or anything and goes away consistently once wheels are back to straight. Oh, I should mention I did the rears last fall (had a axle seal leaking I fixed) so all is good there (and adjusted).

I am thinking I have a left side brake hose that is partially collapsing when wheels are turned left vs straight or to the right. Keeping in mind the way the hose would flex, does this sound like the right idea? The hoses look fine but I know they can and still be bad. I can't think of anything else that would be affected so specifically as to cause this to happen ONLY on left turn after braking.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to accurately describe what is going on. Anyone have any other ideas? I appreciate your input!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good description of the problem. However I would not buy your theory about the brake hose. A lot of squeak noises are caused by the back of a pad moving against the caliper piston. Did you fit anti-squeak shims between pad and piston? Some people use a type of grease instead. Because the noise seems dependant on the truck turning a corner I would check the wheel bearings for play and also the axle shafts where they enter the knuckle. As a last resort you could consider getting the rotors machined but as a last resort. I`m sure there will be more ideas posted soon. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
njtinman2
Mountain Pass
i just did front brakes on my 94 f150 4x4 and one brake pad was stuck because rust built
up under the anti chatter clips if your pads dont move right they can glase and squik

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
If you put on fresh rotor's and do not clean them, it will cause squeeking. You just have to ride it out or clean them again and hope for the best.

I never used to use the grease/glue stuff, but its kinda helpfull actually, keeps the pad to the piston when it retracts so it will wear better.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Dukernc
Senior User
Ok, in addition to the anti-squeak shims here's what I suggest you do. Check to make sure that the anti chatter clips are tight.. What I also do is to make sure that the actual end tabs on the outer edge of the brake pad is making slight contact with the caliper assembly. You may have to bend the tabs a little bit (do it outside of the caliper so as not to damage it) so that the tabs on the pads are snug when the pad is on/in the caliper so that they don't move. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM
mstngmikegt
Senior User
I did install the new pads with the included shims in place and added a thin layer of the included grease to them where they contact the caliper piston. The hardware was also replaced and should be correct. Being that the rotors were turned awhile back (when the front end was done) I didn't have them turned again but also didn't take the time to put a little 'tooth' on them either. I generally would have with a scotchbrite pad on an right angle air die grinder. Tomorrow I am going to pull that side back apart and recheck the clips, etc and go ahead and rough up the rotors. The bearings and hubs were also cleaned, adjusted and set about 5000 miles ago along with the u-joints being replaced in the front axles so I don't believe there is any play or issue but will shake em down too. I still suspect the hose as a possibility and may still just do one or both since they are OEM and are cheap and relatively easy to replace. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks to all for the input.