Originally Posted by Bill W
You guy are making me Hungry!

Bill you can always come for dinner at my place

Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fire240
Bill it could be worse we could be talikng about baconators again.

I put Bacon on my Meatloaf tonight...LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 247 Likes on 239 Posts
Sounds good Sean.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well everyone is sleeping..

I thnk I will do the same thing and good night everyone

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 318 Likes on 289 Posts
and I am just making it here to New England.

Evening Don.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Evening Neil..

I guess all the old farts went to bed..

Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Yeah it sure looks that way......
how was your day today???

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
donjamer
Originally Posted by tiny1
Yeah it sure looks that way......
how was your day today???
Not bad... Had some work so I got things accomplished, but had to go to a wake for my mothers cousin..

So all in all I had a good day.. At least it wasn't my wake..

Thank God...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
I am sorry to hear about your mother's loss, and you are correct, at least it was not yours and that it was not mine.

Busy day here.... I am having some work done on the truck at the garage and it has snow balled a little. I took it in yesterday to get the lower ball joint and inner tie rod end replaced on the right side. It also needed to have a front brake job done. Had them replace the pads, rotors and calipers. I mentioned to them that I was hearing metal to metal and hoped that it was coming from the front. It ended up being the rear brakes so I ended up having the rotors turned, calipers replaced and I had bought last year a set of pads for the rear and they installed them. Come to find out besides the other suspension work that was needed, they found that the tire had been rubbing against the upper ball joint on the same side. So that ended up getting replaced.

I got a call from them today late morning telling me that it was done. Now the garage is right in back of my office so I walked over there after work to get it. Walked in and the truck was still on the lift and the front tires were off. I know the mechanic and asked him whats up. He informed me that the parts store sent over the calipers for the 7700 lb front end and not the regular 150 ones. Everything bolted right up to boot. On the test drive, the rotor ended up hitting the inside of the caliper frame causing the edge of the new rotor to get scored a little. They were trying to get another pair of rotors for it at 4:15 today so that they could get it done. The store did not have them and they would be shipped in for tomorrow. The parts store did have the correct calipers though.
So other than this soap opera, things today went pretty good. Took some time tonight to cut some firewood.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
donjamer
I am sorry to hear about your mother's loss, and you are correct, at least it was not yours and that it was not mine.

Busy day here.... I am having some work done on the truck at the garage and it has snow balled a little. I took it in yesterday to get the lower ball joint and inner tie rod end replaced on the right side. It also needed to have a front brake job done. Had them replace the pads, rotors and calipers. I mentioned to them that I was hearing metal to metal and hoped that it was coming from the front. It ended up being the rear brakes so I ended up having the rotors turned, calipers replaced and I had bought last year a set of pads for the rear and they installed them. Come to find out besides the other suspension work that was needed, they found that the tire had been rubbing against the upper ball joint on the same side. So that ended up getting replaced.

I got a call from them today late morning telling me that it was done. Now the garage is right in back of my office so I walked over there after work to get it. Walked in and the truck was still on the lift and the front tires were off. I know the mechanic and asked him whats up. He informed me that the parts store sent over the calipers for the 7700 lb front end and not the regular 150 ones. Everything bolted right up to boot. On the test drive, the rotor ended up hitting the inside of the caliper frame causing the edge of the new rotor to get scored a little. They were trying to get another pair of rotors for it at 4:15 today so that they could get it done. The store did not have them and they would be shipped in for tomorrow. The parts store did have the correct calipers though.
So other than this soap opera, things today went pretty good. Took some time tonight to cut some firewood.
That was some adventure.. That is why it is best to pay someone else to do the work.. I used to hate it when you get everything jacked up, take everything apart then realize they gave you the wrong parts.. It happened many times..

My son has a 77 F250 and tries doing the work himself and I laugh when he gets the wrong part or can't find the part to begine with..

My favorite saying is "That's the benefits of a 30 year old vehicle.."

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Normally I do the simple stuff like the front brakes (rotors and pads), but I am just too darn busy to take the time to do them myself.
The garage that I use is/was a Ford garage. They do not sell too many new vehicles and it is a family run setup. I believe that the family deceided not to renew the franchise when it came due this spring. Anyways, the service writer who is one of the sons and has done repair work since the late 60's early 70's stated that about 3/4's of the vehicles that they do brake work on and reuse the exisitng calipers, have the piston stick due to it getting pitted from the winters that we have and then they have to replace them along with the pads and rotors if there is damage. Also with it being in service for 8 years and 90k miles on it, I figured that it was time to replace them. I may have had a caliper sticking some anyways as this will be the third set of front brakes that I have done in about 4 1/2 years or 60k miles.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
donjamer
Normally I do the simple stuff like the front brakes (rotors and pads), but I am just too darn busy to take the time to do them myself.
The garage that I use is/was a Ford garage. They do not sell too many new vehicles and it is a family run setup. I believe that the family deceided not to renew the franchise when it came due this spring. Anyways, the service writer who is one of the sons and has done repair work since the late 60's early 70's stated that about 3/4's of the vehicles that they do brake work on and reuse the exisitng calipers, have the piston stick due to it getting pitted from the winters that we have and then they have to replace them along with the pads and rotors if there is damage. Also with it being in service for 8 years and 90k miles on it, I figured that it was time to replace them. I may have had a caliper sticking some anyways as this will be the third set of front brakes that I have done in about 4 1/2 years or 60k miles.
Good idea replacing them.. That is one are you don't want to skimp..

Do they use alot of salt on the roads out there??

We do here and it causes rust.. Haven't had any brake issues from it though..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Most of the towns that I normally drive in use a mixture of traction sand and salt. The state specifies that their roads, whether they plow them or the local municipality, have straight salt used on them.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
donjamer
Most of the towns that I normally drive in use a mixture of traction sand and salt. The state specifies that their roads, whether they plow them or the local municipality, have straight salt used on them.
I haven't seen it yet, but I understand they have some substitute for salt that is like a syrup.. It is suppose to be more enviropnment friendly..

Maybe if it works our vehicles won't rust as fast..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
fat chance of that happening Don

Quick Reply: Sept B/S thread anything almost goes..Part 4