1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
TheRedPheonix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anytime! And ive got the opposite problem, I need to move up from my MIG and get a TIG for my garage. I love that clean bead look but cant find an affordable machine when the funds come around.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So the clips were waiting for me in yesterday's mail. Hadn't had a chance to sign on & say thanks until now!

As for the welder - watch craigslist for a used one. All of my welders have been purchased used for much less than new cost and all have served me well!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM
TheRedPheonix
Senior User
Your welcome, glad to help. And I have been, only most people here want insane money or the welder is too big for the power service ive got. But I'll keep up the hunt!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I hear ya on the power service available not holding up. I had a sub panel put in here and then ran a 220v circuit with #6 wire and a 50 AMP breaker & my TIG pops that breaker about 15% or so of the time when I turn the thing on. The amp draw on these things on startup can be pretty crazy.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 AM
TheRedPheonix
Senior User
Oh i believe it! If my outlet wasn't 2 feet from the panel I probably couldn't use my little MIG or buzzbox outside on an extension cord. For a TIG I'd probably run long leads if I have the same issues you've got, that way the service has the shortest path to the machine for that extra juice on startup.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Sorry - been super busy & haven't had time to log in here.

My leads are 25' or so and then a 20' or so cord coming out of the back of the welder for the plug so they thing really can go pretty much anywhere. Funny thing is the only outlets I've made time to install for the TIG are far away from the panel (each far corner of the garage - so I can run the welder out in the RV acess or dwn at the street/curb if I need to!) and the welding table is currently in between the panel & that plug so is VERY easy to reach.

I guess I should get off my but & do another circuit run but I've had way too much else going on. One of these days I guess...

In the mean time I just walk over & re-set the breaker when it pops.

I REALLY hope to start messing with the fuel tank straps & rear end stuff again here in a bit, but from the honey-do list the wife has going it may be a while!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Man she must be keeping you really busy haven't heard a peep from you at all.

Just remind her that the more garage time you get the closer she is to getting to park her car in the garage....not that you will work on getting her car in but should work for a while at least.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Yes, I'm staying busy for sure. Work, life, family and the house have all been going strong. Leaves little time for cars unfortunately. Oh and I actually AM working on getting her car in the garage though, and of course I've tried to use that excuse. Working on the garage means organizing all my "crap" to try & make room though, not working on cars. I've done that gate, built a new stand for the drill press (it fell in the move and toasted the old one) and a bunch of other stuff. Just nothing I REALLY want to be doing.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
It's crazy how life will get busy when you get married. Cuts your shop time in half. Kids will cut it in half again.

Thank you again for shipping me some mounts.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
No problem. And yes, time to get back to work on this thing has me very worried. LOTS going on right now with all of the above and I keep staring at the truck sitting there in the yard, begging to be worked on.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me tell you a quick story. My green regular cab was my dream truck. I built the exact truck I wanted. I had time to do so as well. Over time, I now have a family of 5. My wife and I decided that a crew would be the way to go.

Enter the Dodge.

Here comes the conundrum: I needed it because of my family...and I don't have much time to work on it because of my family. It's just part of the married life. Don't sweat it. Just take the little time you have and enjoy it and be greatful. Eventually, you will get it done, it just takes longer now.
Hang in there!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm getting married on the 11th and trying to slam out a lot of projects, just did the 460 swap in the crew and going to splice the frame with a Super Camper Special, 5spd swap on my 91 SouperCoupe, head gasket on fiances Buell then change quite a bit on my bike. Just got a nice shop space and been moving everything there and setting up/organizing.

Hope you're able to get back to work, your quality of work is inspirational.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I know the conundrum oh too well. My projects were always supposed to be done before house, marriage & kids so I didn't get to where I am now. Well, I played around & never focused & nothing got finished. Add in a bit of ADD on what I actually wanted to build & here I am with 4-5 projects part way along & no free time. That's life I guess.

At least I am able to press forward "shop" wise a bit as I continue to do things like adding more shelves (just walking in from welding one up on lunch break!), setting up my air compressor system, organizing my tools & hardware & trying to make this place somewhere that will be easy to work in when the time does free up again. It's good that I can explain the garage stuff as work on the "house" & organization/getting settled so I can sneak it in!

And thanks for the compliment oldfordjunkie. I am chomping at the bit to get back to work & currently planning on how to incorporate some crew work in with the other goings on.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 PM
punkrockpilot
Senior User
So glad to hear Im not the only one who has very little time to tinker with the truck. The wife and kids are great but certainly require alot of attention. Two hour windows are a Godsent when they're allowed. Keep up the good work, we all cant wait to see progress!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Wow. Another month gone by and NOTHING! ugh!

1 garage door broke 2-3 weeks ago & that slowed me down. Then the 2nd one broke last week - about an hour and a half before i had to leave for the airport to be gone for a week. That'll teach me to try & sneak in some welding...
No welding got done & I almost had to miss/delay my trip, but I got the door down & now sit here waiting for the garage door man to show as this one is out of my league.

Gotta love all the stumbling blocks keeping me from progressing! Keeps life "entertaining" to say the least.

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab