1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the info but you seem to have missed the part where this is a VERY temporary solution.

This rear came out of a buddies truck for the exact reasons mentioned (hard finding parts = brakes mainly). I told him we'd throw disks on it to combat that, but he wanted 4.10's and since this thing has a 3.07 gear ratio in it my buddy replaced the whole deal with a d60 I found him with 4.10's and an LS.

He needed this thing out of his house/way so he gave it to me. It's only going in the truck so I can cycle the suspension & possibly roll it around without making the effort of moving the spring pads on the stock d60 which will soon be sold. And even then that's only because I had the thing sitting here.

The plan for this truck was a corp 14. It MIGHT shift to a Sterling as of now but I need to do a little research 1st.
My point with putting the d61 in was just to be able to move forward a bit without putting all the stock stuff back in, while still figuring out what will permanently go in the truck.

Back on track.

No work got done last night but I did go in for a short stint this morning. Got to wire wheeling the rear frame in prep for paint. I HATE dodging flying wires like this, but there really isn't a great way to do this aside from sending the entire frame out for sandblast and I kinda missed the boat on that one already so I'll continue as I have been.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Thanks for the info but you seem to have missed the part where this is a VERY temporary solution.

This rear came out of a buddies truck for the exact reasons mentioned (hard finding parts = brakes mainly). I told him we'd throw disks on it to combat that, but he wanted 4.10's and since this thing has a 3.07 gear ratio in it my buddy replaced the whole deal with a d60 I found him with 4.10's and an LS.

He needed this thing out of his house/way so he gave it to me. It's only going in the truck so I can cycle the suspension & possibly roll it around without making the effort of moving the spring pads on the stock d60 which will soon be sold. And even then that's only because I had the thing sitting here.

The plan for this truck was a corp 14. It MIGHT shift to a Sterling as of now but I need to do a little research 1st.
My point with putting the d61 in was just to be able to move forward a bit without putting all the stock stuff back in, while still figuring out what will permanently go in the truck.

Back on track.

No work got done last night but I did go in for a short stint this morning. Got to wire wheeling the rear frame in prep for paint. I HATE dodging flying wires like this, but there really isn't a great way to do this aside from sending the entire frame out for sandblast and I kinda missed the boat on that one already so I'll continue as I have been.
I did miss that it was a temporary solution - I thought you were planning on building the D61 and I was slightly confused (you do everything else so perfectly, why use a D61!?).

I love using a wire wheel in the angle grinder - as long as I've got long sleeves and a full face mask (which makes it suck to wire wheel in the summer time in 95* weather with 80% humidity!)

The only thing I lament is that it's hard to get it into corners sometimes, which would be the only time I'd choose to use a sandblaster - I'm not wild about the amount of dust it can raise, and my little compressor can't support it (yet!)

But, it sounds like you're making progress! (more than I've done recently!)
-Brad

Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I was in a full jumpsuit with earmuffs, full face mask & MIG gloves on this morning as I HATE getting stuck with wires. It's 80+ here (I'm RIGHT on the beach) so while not as hot as some places it's still VERY unpleasant.

Hope to get a bit more done in my short trip tonight. I'm ready to paint & move on!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80 schmatey

Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
you get acreage and I get better temps. Take your pick. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other is...

I'd like a lot of room for all my crap but I HATE the heat & LOVE the beach

Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear that. I've found that if I can wear a loose layer (like a thick hoodie) it helps the most. Still, I understand getting slapped by a wire bristle going a million miles an hour, it stings. Wear shorts, and use a wire wheel when crouching. You'll only do it once!

I wish I could have both - a warmish beach and an acre or two. Four would be ideal - then I could play mad mechanic all night long and noone would care!

-Brad

Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Been there, done that with the wires & looking like a porcupine afterwards. Those wires go (and stick!) places they shouldn't!

And yes I'd LOVE a beach spot with an acre or so. Would LOVE to move to central Cal. just for that but job market up there is tough so I'm stickin here for now.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Beach life would be nice....but keep in mind that there are lots of beach like settings up here in the much cooler Canada setting....although those cali bikinis would be an awefull nice distraction. lol.....

Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Waters a bit cold up there though

My dad just spent a week or more surfing Tofino (I'd LOVE to go next time!) and the water was 55*F or cooler in summer! I may be a wuss, but I'm not paddling out in much colder than that = no surfing all winter long

While I LOVE Washington & lower BC it's a bit far from Baja, etc. so I'll stick down here for now. Although a buddy in Oregon is currently helping a desert racing association up there take off, so there may be hope for me in the Pacific Northwest yet. I'd still have to figure out what to do for a living up there though!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Slight update. Haven't done much in the last 2 weeks or so. It's been HOT here & I've had other stuff keeping me from the shop - like being out of town, etc. I got in there briefly & wire wheeled the rear frame a bit more 2 weeks ago, but that was it.

Last Mon. night I finally got back in the shop for a real night again. Still hot though & still no bent aluminum for the gas tank so I started thinking of a few things to do until it was cooled off enough to put on the jump suit & do the last of the frame wire wheeling.

I messed a bit with the t-case again, taking measurements to draw up a couple mount ideas. I also got to looking at the poly replacement bushings I ordered for it a while back. Should be a bit better than the large stack of washers they were using

Next I started messing with the drag link again. I made a mock up version & bolted it up & started looking at clearance. This loooong, Scout II pitman arm I have just might work yet.

I was trying to avoid having to take the front leafs apart again to cycle this thing for steering, but it's just too close & then with my new exhaust idea I wanted to REALLY cycle that anyways so apart it will come again.

It was now cool enough to wire wheel so I jumped in the monkey suit & finished that up. I then also hit the sharp edges & knicks with a fin grit flap disk to make everything soft & smooth. My clean up/stripping disks I ordered to do the final attack on the frame with weren't here yet so this is where I left it and called it a night.

I went in briefly in the morning and started to take the front end apart to get the thing back down to the main leaf to cycle, but I spent most of my time there working on some projects for the wedding so I didn't get far.

My stripping disks did come in the mail while I was gone though so it is game one whenever I get back in there. Hopefully I'll get back up to speed making progress again!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
BlueOvalDismantlers
Senior User
Slight update. Haven't done much in the last 2 weeks or so. It's been HOT here
Whats hot? 85? You wuss!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
90ish in the shop. And that's waaay too hot for me! F that - I'm a beach bum & don't deal well with heat!!! There's a reason I won't move east of the 405 - hahaha

Although I just left 108* or so weather after spending a week on the lake

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalDismantlers
Whats hot? 85? You wuss!
Costa Mesa will be a bit cooler but it's been high 90s low 100 's by me the past few weeks

Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
yup!

seems to have cooled down slightly in the time I was gone, but it's still a bit hot for my tastes. No big deal though as the wire wheeling is done for a bit, so no need to get in my coveralls and sweat to death anymore.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
90ish in the shop. And that's waaay too hot for me! F that - I'm a beach bum & don't deal well with heat!!!
I don't deal well with heat either and it's been a bit warmer here...I HATE IT!!!

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab