1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling up fuel on F250 5.4L (gas)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy fix

Originally Posted by Convcit
Ive got a 08 F350 with the 3v 5.4l and have been fighting the same issue... I have googled and looked like I would be replacing the charcoal can and this morning I climbed under to see what I would be up against. well for one I found that my charcoal can is not like the ones I have found online for my truck. they show to be tube like units and mines is like a sqaure box... still havent found one anywhere for sale so I decided to exsperiment. I heard a guy say blow some compressed air and see if theres a blockage in the fresh air inlet tube. So figured what the heck Id give a try and after about 14 times sticking the air nozzle to the opening of the tube and then removing it, it finally stopped spitting out dirt and a couple very small rocks. So stopped on the way into work and tried adding gas... it didnt stop untill the puaaamp reached the amount I had prepayed. went from 2-3 mins a gallon to no problem at all.. In the last six months we have done the ream job just like mt prospector did by drilling out the canister with two half inch holes and pulling the hose of of the top of canister which is on the top on passenger side and blowing out with compressed air. We got a pile of **** out of each one, just like mt prosspetor showed. Now the both trucks take gas like a new truck. You need to blow all that charcoal out and you will never have any more problem fueling up. Then silicone the hole up real good. It has to be air tight or you check engine light will come on and throw a emissions canister code, which mine did on the second truck. I re siliconed the hole real good and cleared the code with a borrowed code reader and no more check engine light. This was on two 05 trucks, a V8 and a V10. The 08 truck has yet to show any problem. We also have a 13 6.2 V8 also with no problems yet at all. It may have a different canister, but I haven't dropped the spare tire yet to see, as it fuels up fine. The hardest part of this fix is dropping the spare tire, which is pretty easy. The cost me 0$ to fix. The EPA and Ford can kiss my but as I refuse to pay Ford $600 for a new canister. That's what or local Ford dealer charges to replace one.

Dont know if this will work for everybody but it did the trick for me..
. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-23-2016, 06:15 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 08 with the v-10, and the same problem. Now I know where to start looking. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Convcit
New User
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
In the last six months we have done the ream job just like mt prospector did by drilling out the canister with two half inch holes and pulling the hose of of the top of canister which is on the top on passenger side and blowing out with compressed air. We got a pile of **** out of each one, just like mt prosspetor showed. Now the both trucks take gas like a new truck. You need to blow all that charcoal out and you will never have any more problem fueling up. Then silicone the hole up real good. It has to be air tight or you check engine light will come on and throw a emissions canister code, which mine did on the second truck. I re siliconed the hole real good and cleared the code with a borrowed code reader and no more check engine light. This was on two 05 trucks, a V8 and a V10. The 08 truck has yet to show any problem. We also have a 13 6.2 V8 also with no problems yet at all. It may have a different canister, but I haven't dropped the spare tire yet to see, as it fuels up fine. The hardest part of this fix is dropping the spare tire, which is pretty easy. The cost me 0$ to fix. The EPA and Ford can kiss my but as I refuse to pay Ford $600 for a new canister. That's what or local Ford dealer charges to replace one.

someone typed in the wrong spot... had me all confused thinking.. hey I didnt type that.. so I figured I would seperate it so others could see what he typed with out the confusion..

And note... mines doing it again, even worse.. I even took the charcoal box down and blew it out with compressed air, no luck.. thinking of breaking out the drill at this point..

Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
I was talking to my local garage about this issue today, and he was saying that if all the charcoal is removed, it will not pass an emissions test. I need to have one done every 2 years, so I'm not sure what to do now...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:31 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 300sflyer
I was talking to my local garage about this issue today, and he was saying that if all the charcoal is removed, it will not pass an emissions test. I need to have one done every 2 years, so I'm not sure what to do now...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Replace the charcoal canister...

Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Any suggestions? Thanks.
See what a "non dealership" shop would charge for doing the charcoal canister R & R. I just did this on my Wife's SD and saved about $200.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:18 AM
300sflyer
Senior User
Just for fun I called my local Ford dealer, and they gave me the low down.... They quoted TSB 12-2-14, and said all the parts would be about $1500, plus about $300 to install.

We sure do get ripped off when it comes to the prices of parts up here in Canada.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM
300sflyer
Senior User
So yesterday, I decided to remove the canister filter. I dropped the spare tire, and then disconnected all the lines and one electrical connection, before removing the canister. The vent pipe attached to the box frame, had some dust and dirt in it. Compressed air took care of that. Next I removed the vent filter from the canister, and it too was loaded with dust. Kept blowing air through both openings, and eventually no more dust came out. The canister itself didn't seem too bad, but blew compressed air through it anyway, and got some dust out of it too. Put it all back together, and headed for the gas pump this morning to test it out. SUCCESS!!! I can now pump gas at full speed, and it doesn't shut off till shes full. I almost called the ford dealer back and told them what they can do with their $1800 quote to fix it! LOL!

Old 12-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Wingit929
Senior User

Any suggestions? Thanks.
I don't know about your emission place but ours just hooks up to the computer. If the vehicle don't throw a code you should be fine

Old 12-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Wingit929
Senior User
So yesterday, I decided to remove the canister filter. I dropped the spare tire, and then disconnected all the lines and one electrical connection, before removing the canister. The vent pipe attached to the box frame, had some dust and dirt in it. Compressed air took care of that. Next I removed the vent filter from the canister, and it too was loaded with dust. Kept blowing air through both openings, and eventually no more dust came out. The canister itself didn't seem too bad, but blew compressed air through it anyway, and got some dust out of it too. Put it all back together, and headed for the gas pump this morning to test it out. SUCCESS!!! I can now pump gas at full speed, and it doesn't shut off till shes full. I almost called the ford dealer back and told them what they can do with their $1800 quote to fix it! LOL!

I bought my 2013 this year (138,000 miles) from Texas. First time I filled up I had this problem. I removed the vent hose that runs into the support to the truck bed and blew it out. Also I couldn't see through that support. So I ran my water hose through it before hooking the vent back up. The whole thing was blocked with dirt. I can see from one side to the other now. Put it back together and never another problem.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:16 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wingit929
I bought my 2013 this year (138,000 miles) from Texas. First time I filled up I had this problem. I removed the vent hose that runs into the support to the truck bed and blew it out. Also I couldn't see through that support. So I ran my water hose through it before hooking the vent back up. The whole thing was blocked with dirt. I can see from one side to the other now. Put it back together and never another problem.
Thanks for that idea! Just flushed mine out with the garden hose too. Lots of dirt coming out the bottom hole. Should be able to fill up the tank without issue for a while now.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:10 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
Thought I would upload a few pictures.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:14 PM
300sflyer
Senior User

This is the filter that had most of the dust and dirt in it.

The charcoal canister.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 PM
MaineHomesteader
Junior User

This is the filter that had most of the dust and dirt in it.

The charcoal canister.
I bought a 2006 F250 5.4 and cannot put more than 2.5 gallons of gas in at a time, then have to wait 3-5 seconds before squeezing the handle of the pump again. It's annoying. I'll come back to this thread again to assess my options and figure my game plan. Too tired now after working all day, to think it through. Sounds like some kind of flush with air or water or both is in order. So what does the charcoal do? And Ford expects it to be effective for 200,000 miles?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both 05 SD trucks are taking gas like a new truck. Cost to fix this problem was $00000 and I think will last the life of the truck. With the new people in power in DC which say they hope to dismantle the EPA things can get no worse. THERE IS A GOD������������������we have no emissions checks in Kansas as we are not a candy *** snowflake cry baby state. Maybe the whole nation will follow suite and do away with this costly BS for ever! Drill baby drill!!!

Quick Reply: Filling up fuel on F250 5.4L (gas)