N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Local Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
djs90f250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Transmission Help

First off sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or am not suppose to post these questions in the local chapter. Please move to the correct place or delete this post if its not right.

I have a 1990 f-250 4x4 with and e40d transmission that slipps erratically, it was rebuilt about 30k ago and the fluid was toast when I got the truck, I'm assuming its in need of a rebuild, can anyone recommend a "good" local shop to have it rebuilt, or does anyone have any experience with transmissions bought off of places like ebay? Or does anyone have a good running transmission for sale?

I already read through the local recommended shops list but didn't see anything local to me. I live in Martinez & work in San Leandro, so I'm open to travel to have the truck worked on, also its not a DD so I'm not in much of a hurry to have it back if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the long post,
DJ

Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Hey DJ,

First things first... Your post is not too long and this is the right place to post. I don't anything about transmission shops. If no one in this chapter has a transmission, try craigslist.org to find one.

Good luck with your hunt.
Karl

Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The only shop I would trust personally is too far away for you...up here in Lake county. I just don't know anything about Bay Area shops (although I can recommend a good Land Rover shop on the Peninsula...)

Having your current tranny rebuilt will be more expensive than swapping in a used tranny, but you get a tranny that's basically brand new and with a warranty as opposed to gambling with a used tranny. You could get a good one that lasts the life of the truck, or one that goes out in a few thousand miles, you just never know...

I would go into whatever local auto parts store you do business with (preferably a NAPA store, where the guys usually are actually knowlegeable) and ask them to recommend a good shop. They usually know what shops have a good reputation and which ones to avoid.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
djs90f250
New User
Thanks for the advice. I think I found the place I'm going to have the work done, its just hard swallowing a 2k bill on a free truck, but I think I'd also be buying piece of mind if I go with a rebuilt trans from a local builder.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at it this way...you got the truck for free. Just because you have to put some bucks into it doesn't negate that. It would be even worse if you'd dropped a wad of cash on it to purchase it and then had to replace the tranny...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
djs90f250
New User
Yeah, I'm sure I'd be pissed if I'd a paid for the truck and then needed to drop more money into it.