1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

VIN code, Wondering what I got ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIN code, Wondering what I got ?

I was checkin thru the VIN info here and thought I would examine my truck to see where it was made. I think I have A 1952 F 1 panel but now I aint sure. I have a New York registration with same VIN #'s, and is regestered as 1952 Ford, but the plate on fire wall reads F1H1EG30322.
If I am using the VIN I.D. info right , ( also looked at one at The Classic Car Shop site ) I have a 1951 F 1 that was built with a 6 cylinder 226, built in Egdgwater New Jersey. It has a 8BA in it now. ( motor has blue paint and tranny has red paint. I guess the 239 was put in later ) Not much history came with it. Stamped code on body above fire wall reads EGF1B24G556. Any Ideas????
John

Old 08-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi John,

Well, this is a discussion that seems to pop up every few weeks here on FTE.

According to the F1H1EG30322 Number, the truck is as you described. If it had been a 52, the third and forth characters would have been different - the "H" (which was for the 226 Cu/In straight flathead 6) would have been a "D" because Ford switched 6 Cylinder engines to the 215 Cu/In Overhead Valve 6 cylinder for the 1952 F-Series, and the last "1" would have been a "2" for 1952.

So, nothwithstanding the external changes - the word F-O-R-D spelled out on the upper valance on the 52where the V8 emblem was on the 51, or the circular hood spear caps instead of the straight spear, there wasn't really much of a way to tell. The 6 cylinder change is a biggie.

One other thing that is usually pointed out in these discussions is that most of these trucks at their age have been modified, restored, or re-engined at one time or another. Somethimes there have been body swaps (along with the firewall "Patent Data Plate" ) or glovebox door changes (with the "Rating Plate" as well).

You didn't mention what the glove box door rating plate said.

But one way to find out for sure is to locate the serial number stamped in the frame. The "1951 Owners Manual" states that the Serial Number (these were not VINs) is stamped on the right upper frame rail above the axel. Thats right where mine is on my 51, but I have heard of other folks saying thees was on the other side as well. You might want to look there for the serial number to confirm if you have had the body swapped out.

The resident expert with numbers "Number Dummy" will probably be along shortly to unravel your mystery. He's singing the darksider song with Dina Shore at the moment.

Can you post a picture of the front of your Panel?

Good Luck!
Julie!

PS.. is it at all possible that your "EGF1B24G556" is really EGF1R24G556? That sounds more like a "Production Code" number which would also be on the glove box rating plate in the lower right corner. The EG is Edgewater F1R would be a half ton (F1) with the 239 Flathead 8 (R) it would have been ORDERED on the 24th (24) of July 1951 ("G") and been the 556th vehicle in that plant to be ordered that month in Edgewater. The numeral for the year was not put in the code as it was in the truck serial number (so that "2" does not mean 1952) because the "G" was month and year specific - July 1951. Chances are this was a "Special Order" truck - probably military. Remember that the Federal Fiscal Year ended (at that time) on June 30 of each year and all contracts let after that date were for the following fiscal year. Military Special Order Truck "Special Order" numbers tended to follow the "contract number" or "top drawing number" of the batch being ordered. Thus it was possible to order 1951 trucks currently being built but with 1952 Contract (and possible Special Order) Numbers. (in other words any 1951 Vehicle purchased ofter June 30, 1951 would have been purchased in Fiscal year 1952, and the military Special Order Number would reflect that) And in some cases, that lent confusion between the year on the serial numbers and the Special Order numbers -not the case here though. Chances are very high if you have the right glove box rating plate for the truck chances are very high that the "Color" code will be "SS" (Special Paint) and there will be two asterisks in the D.S.O. (Domestic Special Order) box.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI.. if you'll click on the FTE homepage button at top left of this page, there is a VIN decoder. I think it is at lower right on the homepage.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will try to post some photos tommorrow however the hood spears are straight and the valance has FORD spelled out. No tag on glove box and I just went out to double check the frame but wasnt able to locate a serial # on frame above axel,....both sides. I just spent Saturday cleaning up the frame to paint didnt find any thing.Also put my nose right on the firewall stamp to see if the B was maybe a R but, if it is.... I am Pocahantas. Its a B. The only questionable simbol on the firewall is the last one. If it not a 6 then it a lower case b.
P.S. Got most of my wiring figured out. I GOT LIGHTS !!!. Thanks for the diagrams Julie