Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a mall crawler a mall crawler, and other mall crawler info....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also what gear ratio's you got in your axles?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol hell yea it spends more time in my driveway thean at the trail. You see the price of diesel lately lol. No I recently was in a car accident and broke my hip so its a pain in the butt to get in and out of the trrkc on crutches so its just been sitting there. Gears are 4.10 limited slip but it doesn't even matter in a diesel. Its never low on torque and could be geared with 2.08 and not make much difference in its accelration. It did run a 13.8 in the 1/4 mile with the 38's. Lol I was just seeing if I can say that I offically own a mall crawler yet. I do buy grocery's in it to; does that make me a soccer mom. Lol jsut kidding around a little bit. The truck is worth to much to do any serious wheeling with it.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Truckin4life
yup its a mall crawler... Gears do matter in a diesel, just not nearly as much as in a gasser. I wasn't sure if you had 3.55's or 4.10's as something told me they were factory gears.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
jonnysteals
Senior User
lol yea its still factory gears. They never offered 3.55's though. Only 3.73 or 4.10 in the f250. F350 and f450 diesel could get the 4.30 or 4.88 gears stock. I dont feel the cost of new gears is justifiable because they are only slightly better than what I have now. I would probably put 4.88 in it which in my perspective is only margianlly better than the 4.10 I have now. Anyway I am not trying to argue with anyone but I am can now claim that I own a mall crawler lol.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
is it still a mall crawler if its never been to a mall?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Truckin4life
pavement pounder mall crawler.... Same thing. It will see more (mall) parking lots then it will off road obstacles.

It "flexes" its suspension on mall speed bumps.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
mine will probably end up a pavement pounder, but im ok with that. not sure my G/F would let me go trail riding every weekend, maybe once a month.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Truckin4life
That would be a pavement pounder yes, but also a weekend warrior type of rig too... Thats basically what mine is, i wheel it when i get the chance, but its also got to get me to work, basically i wheel it on the weekends and drive it to work during the week.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
wileec
Tuned
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
I want rock lights like this

Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
That would be a pavement pounder yes, but also a weekend warrior type of rig too... Thats basically what mine is, i wheel it when i get the chance, but its also got to get me to work, basically i wheel it on the weekends and drive it to work during the week.
well, mine is 2wd, so its already looked down on as a mall crawler

Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Louie3
Senior User
Would a truck be considered a mall crawler if it rarely see's mud but its actually used as a truck. Towing, hauling, transport ect? But has BFG AT and just a leveling kit?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Louie3
Would a truck be considered a mall crawler if it rarely see's mud but its actually used as a truck. Towing, hauling, transport ect? But has BFG AT and just a leveling kit?

Body lift + A/Ts + TTB = ?

The red thing is your gallery with the metalic blue paint all over the underside... that's something special rite thar.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Louie3
Senior User
lol that thing is there because I wondered how boggers would look on my truck! But the truck I asked about was my dad's truck

Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnysteals

Would you guys consider my truck a mall crawler.
2006 f250 diesel. 8 inch lift with 38 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ on 20x10 Chrom rims. Has a 2 inch stock block in the rear and the rest is all lifted leaf springs. Its pretty fast as well. Well even if you guys consider it a mall crawler it doesn't really matter to me. It towes my other truck around effortlessly and still manages to drive on the beach so I can go surf fishing.

Your obviously like me, I too have an '06 with 8'' lift and 36-15.50-20 MTZ's on chrome wheels. My truck is capable of some off-roading, but do I take it? Nope! $44K truck and $6K in upgrades, I keep it squeeky clean. Only used for hauling cars. Call me a Mall Crawler or whatever you want, but it serves my purpose quite well. IMO a true mall crawler is like the pics posted in this thread. deathly steering setups, 12+'' of lift blocks, especially on the front. 200 shocks, 20 KC lights, no front driveshaft, TTB's with big tires, 44's on dana 44's and 9'', leaf springs with so much arch they cant flex an inch, and so on and so on. Ive had plenty of off road toys that had been used and abused, covered in battle scars, boggers and everyhting in between. My truck is great to load 6 buddies in and take off and look good doing it.
so on and so on.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Truckin4life
My deffinetion of a mall crawler is a rig that spends more time in mall parking lots than off road, or rolling around "looking good" If its for looks then its a mall crawler, if its for purpose it a purpose built rig. Yea i can understand a lifted truck being kept clean and looking good, but thats all everybody does anymore, its ALL about the looks and nothing to do with the functionality of it. Which is what is so frustrating about it. Big companies are catering to the crowds with the money, they all want "show" trucks, well what about us that want the truck to function and dont give a **** what it looks like? Hell my truck gets washed when it rains... Very few times in between, ill hose off the big mud and hose off the under carriage so i can re grease but other than that, its dirty.

Quick Reply: What makes a mall crawler a mall crawler, and other mall crawler info....