Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head gasket help ASAP!

I bought the felpro head gasket kit and ended up having identical head gaskets(1988 302) I checked everywhere and they are all identical. One store said I could flip the gaskets, but my mechanic said not to. If i didint flip them, that means one stamped(front) would be facing backwards, laso leaving the water holes(two) at the front, while the original, right facing one has the water holes in the back. The block has two holes on both ends of the block, but I dont know if this will cause problems.

Would this be the right way to install the gaskets? Will water flow the right way if I had the passages in the back on the drivers and in the front on the passanger?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not following what you are on about - the heads are produced without the block and either head does not know whether or not it will left or right.

Therefore if some sort of shenanighans are done where some holes are used on one side and not the other - it would be done via head gasket. Not a single set I have in stock makes the call.

Can you photograph the offending heads and edit the pic to circle the holes? I have a 302 on the stand headless and a couple sets of heads loose, I can compare.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at the block, there's two water ports on both the front of the block(where the head bolts over) and two in the back. From everywhere I have looked, all the felpro head gaskets are universal. So one side had some color, and the other side didnt. I found the intructions and it siad the gaskets were stamped FRONT on the top and Bottom. When you go to install the felpro gaskets, one will have to be flipped so they are both facing the front. All the holes line up, but I would have thought all gaskets should have the colored side up, but these gaskets werent the case.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 980 Likes on 774 Posts
Yes you need to flip one of the gaskets over.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the word felpro so I am assuming you mean the printoseal set? I happen to have some of them in stock. since both sides of the fire ring are essentially covered, they can be flipped. If you have a set where the fire ring is covered one side and not the other- no they cannot be flipped.

by covering holes I assume you mean the 2 trapezoidish ones on all ends of the block? blocking those off in the front keeps water from doing a quick 'turnaround' creating hot spots in the rear.