Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Tire and Rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
CrpssFire
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire and Rim Question

I have an 08 KR 4x4 and would like to put on a different rim. The one I'm looking at is an 18x9.5. The stock KR rims are either 18x7 or 18x7.5(I think). My question is would the stock Continetals, size 275/70/R18 fit good on a rim that is alot wider???

Also, can 17's be put on a truck that came from the factory with 18's? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 PM
bfgfocus
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrpssFire
I have an 08 KR 4x4 and would like to put on a different rim. The one I'm looking at is an 18x9.5. The stock KR rims are either 18x7 or 18x7.5(I think). My question is would the stock Continetals, size 275/70/R18 fit good on a rim that is alot wider???

Also, can 17's be put on a truck that came from the factory with 18's? Thanks for the help.

Can the Stock size fit? Yes. Is it ideal? No.

I would go to continetals website and find the spec sheet on these tire, there you will find the min and max wheel widths for your tires.

Can you downsize to a 17 in rim? Maybe, but just make sure you clear brakes, tie rods, things like that. Also make sure the rims are rated to handle the vehicle weight.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your 18" rims are 8" wide. The stock alloy KR rims are actually very high quality units and I would not recommend swapping them out for a rim that is only slightly wider. Many aftermarket rims do not have the load capacity of the stock rims. Remember that Ford has to have rims tough enough for all of us that tow heavy loads or run snow plows. The stock rims handle that sort of work with no problems at all.

If you decide to go with larger and wider tires, that would be the time to look for different rims. I would not bother to mount stock continentals on new rims.

Lou Braun