1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't drive with your fog lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
years back my dad (cop) and a fellow officer put those union 76 ***** on all the attenaes in a bar parking lot,back then all cars had attenaes, went diff ways down the road and waited. They pulled over the ***** as they went past,anyway my dad got in trouble and so on but you gotta admit its still a funny story. Early 70`s
Back to topic , im pretty sure 4 lights max is the rule out here. My piaas fogs look yellow from in the cab looking out but from facing my truck head-on they appear white.I leave-em off unless its bad outside or some guy comes at me with highs on. They do lightup the area quite a bit.

Hanklin

Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been flashed (hy-beams) by other drivers,for having my Fog lights on,,,So they must be Brighter then some on here think !!

I also find them rather Bright,,,annoying when approaching vehicles have them on,,,,some worse then other's,,,and most cars have them today !

Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Yeah, fogs have the same wattage with a different beam, so the light output is bright, but a shorter wider pattern. It's still plenty of light to **** people off.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Here in Texas we don't get ticketed for having our fogs on. As long as you're not using your off-road lights on-road, they have no problem with it.

The only times I ever got flashed was when I had my HID's in.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1st off 99.9% of people that get blinded by oncomming vehicle lighting is typically only because of the following.

1) They have their high beams on and are not intelligent enough to know when (or how) to shut them off.

2) They have improperly adjusted "Factory" lighting.

3) They have improperly adjusted "Aftermarket" lighting.

4) Or are just brain dead and run "off road" or illegal Euro lighting to tick of the general public.

In saying all of this #1 is probably the most likely culprit with #3 being the next most likely.

I drive the hills, curves and straight-aways of New England and get blinded on a Nightly basis from vehicles of all sizes, shapes and colors with stock and after market lighting.
Most times this is a natural occurance that cannot be avoided. 90% of all oncomming traffic (9 out of 10 for example) is not a problem for me and i think statistically for all of you as well especially for us driving SD's.

In addition to stock lighting (Including factory fogs) I have 100W EagleEye orange fogs that are aimed down and only used in extreme adverse conditions and 100W KC''s for off road or Emergency situations. I have never had a complaint or been stopped with my additional lighting and the only compaints from other drivers(flashing their highs at me) are typically when blinding them coming over a hill. In this situation the opposing driver just doesn't have enough intelligence to realize i am doing exactly that, Comming over the hill.

Remember when driving at night with not much traffic it doesn't take much light to upset an opposing driver..Try it with a flashlight.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Mr Incredible
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving lights are for the open road, fog lights are for fog. Unless those conditions exist you are being a pain to other traffic.

In a perfect world, all lights would be properly aimed and properly used, but this isn't a perfect world. Smaller cars get them square in the eyes & mirrors. Glare conditions make other people's aux lights blinding, as well. Seldom do these aux lights serve any duty other than to make the driver appear cool and hip. The rest of the time they are just a pain for others.

I don't use the ones I have to be kind to other people...it would be nice if other people were as considerate. Not everybody sits high in a truck or has the eyes and reflexes of 18 yr olds.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
nick381970
Freshman User
I bought the truck with the fog lights on it and i will use them when ever i want .

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't think of one time that i have ever been "Blinded" by or PO by a SD or other truck of it's kind with additional lighting period let alone the mimimal lighting capabilities of stock "Fog" systems. I am not saying that no one has ever had this problem but come on this is not a regional problem of epic proportions like it is being made out to be.

It is the absent minded Joe blow's of the general population that only care of themselves with no respect for others, has minimal if any knowledge on lighting systems or the correct way to use them, not the educated or respectable people that put alot of time and money into their vehicles to make them presentable, legal and respected.

Untill i get opposing drivers flicking their lights at me (which i don't) as too inform me that my lighting is excessive in nature i will continue to run my systems day and night as i see fit as it improves others visibility of me as well as increasing my view of the road and my surroundings at night.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Go COugs
New User
Just because you have something doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. When its not foggy you don't need fog lights, turn them off they are friggin annoying.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nick381970
I bought the truck with the fog lights on it and i will use them when ever i want .
And someday somebody is going to follow you till you stop get out and bash them out of your vehicle.

As stated if it's not foggy you have zero reason to run them except "to look cool" guess what you are endangering yourself, your passengers and everyone around you running them "just cause it's cool" I drive for a living and hate "fog" lights and yes I do knwo the difference and they are annoying, blinding, and anyone running them when it's not foggy deserves a ticket, I won't tell you what I think the ticket should be for as I am sure it doesn't take rocket science to figure it out.
I have actually had highbeams on a vehicle that didn't blind me as bad as the fog lights when they switched to low beams. And I have actually left a note on a SD windshield one time because being on a dedicated run I saw the joker every single night and he blinded me every single night sometimes to the point I had to stop in order to not risk running off the road, finally seen him sitting in a gas station parking lot WITH HIS FOG LIGHTS TURNED ON, you know it's cool. I stopped wrote the note about turning them off and adjust them because it's not foggy.

I hate them and can't stand people that think they need to run them all the time, if they are truly fog lights and set properly they do zero good when it's not foggy so why are you running them? If they ARE lighting up the road so you can see better then they are NOT fog lights OR they are improperly aligned and once again why are you running them? Your being discourteous in either case.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 AM
navyfordman
Junior User
Ok.. Here is my $.02 worth for all of you. Being in the Navy (hence navyfordman) i know what cowboy-79 is talking about when it comes to trying to do the right thing and getting in trouble for it anyways. For those of us that drive or move around a lot as for a perfect example, service members, we need to be up to date with the laws of the states that we drive in. Now I am not saying that he should not fight it, BUT!!!, if there is a law in OK that prohibits fog lights when not foggy then he was in the wrong. BUT!!!!, if there is not than he could fight it AND get the cop for harassment for just driving down the road and getting pulled over for nothing!!! YEP its true. Now I am no big fan of PO PO's but they do have a job to do and we are all but thankful when they show up when we need them most. So my advise would be for Cowboy to go to his MP's office and ask them for OK's state driving laws. they should provide for free so there is no more issues next time. It is a very helpful thing to know. This would go for all of us that travel and spend a lot of time in other states. WE NEED TO KNOW THE LOCAL LAWS SO IF THERE IS AN ISSUE WE CAN FIGHT IT OR ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES AS GIVEN!!! This in only IMO, but I do believe that I hit a homer with this one. Fun drivin out there to everyone. Oh by the way, if someone knows how to replace rear axel seals on a 2000 F150, could you hit up my post in the 97-03 F150 section. info woud be greatly appreciated!! LATERS!!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
nick381970
Freshman User
Like i had said before i bought the things on the truck i will use them when i want and they are fog lights not driving light if your eyes are that sensitive then you need to do something about it and I am a service member myself , I would go to jag and find out if you are able to fight it, and let someone follow me i am very attentive to my surroundings and i fill sorry for the guy that does that . In Texas we have alot of deer and the fog light helps keep them from jumping in front of my truck

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Lots of guys with SDs in my area and I come across them a lot at night coming towards me in the other lane. Most have their "fog" lights on, they are not bright at all IMO. I run mine most of the time and don't really care if others like me running them or not, never got flashed or anything either(The people that SD fogs **** off are probably half loaded and light sensitive) I know I'm legal in my state, lows equal 2 and fogs equal to for a max of 4 lights and highs equal 4. They help me see right in front of the truck and along the side of the road for people and critters that may be close by.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Seems like there is a line in the sand when it comes to this. People are advising others that it's annoying, and the response is if I can do it and want to I will, regardless of whether it's annoying to others. There is also courtesy to others to think about. Just because you can do something, and want to do something doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the thoughts and ideas of others.

I personally think it's stupid to run the fogs in town because there is enough ambient light that it doesn't make any significant difference to have fog lights on from a safety aspect. I know for a fact it's annoying to other drivers, because I am one of them, and others have posted in this thread. If you're out in the rural areas and it helps you drive, more power to you, but since it's known that it annoys other drivers, why not turn them off when you don't need them. Why not be courteous to other drivers even though you're "right" that you get to run them if you want? Where's the harm in being courteous to other drivers?

By the way, the SD is taller than other vehicles and fog lights provide a lot of light in a relatively short, wide, space. So, when you're behind someone, or someone is oncoming, and they enter that spacing where the fog lights put most of their light, it is significant. To say it isn't is to say your lights aren't putting out significant light. If that's the case, what's the point. They either put out a significant amount of light, and that's why you need them, or they don't put out significant light, and then you don't need them because they aren't offering additional driving benefit.

They do not prevent deer or other animals from entering the roadway.

And, finally, you probably don't get flashed because other drivers realize they're fog lights and you are within your "rights" to run them, even when they are annoying. I've flashed someone my lights before because of their fog lights. Their response was to hit their high beams, flashing me back. I took that to mean they were running low beams, with fogs, which was legal and the alternative was for them to run their high beams. I'd rather be blinded by their fog lights than their high beams and left it at that.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Go COugs
New User
Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that there should be a law banning fog lights at all. Users discretion, its what they are there for. But they are still annoying on trucks and even on small cars, especially on rural roads with little traffic, eyes just cannot adjust fast enough.
But this still is not a good enough reason for police to harass people trying to fish up a DUI. And I am adamantly against drinking and driving, but if the cops have to use other means to tag someone with a ticket then what are we really gaining.
A few years back I was leaving a Drinking Event and was pulled over by a trooper that passed three rigs being navigated by marginally sober people to get me for no front license plate. When he asked if I had been drinking, my response was. "You have worst luck than I do, you just pulled over the only guy leaving town that hasn't had a beer yet today" He laughed it off and gave me a warning.

Quick Reply: Don't drive with your fog lights on?