Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to thank all of you for being so cool and answering my questions!

Randy will be moving into the new place tonight, and I'm stuck here until i sell my house...but hopefully that'll happen quickly.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Great to hear you had a good time in Iowa!
Have you had any lookers at your house, or haven't you put it on the market yet?

I know how you felt when you were in CR and commented on how quickly things were getting cleaned up from the flood. I was in downtown Iowa City not too long ago and couldn't figure out why all the shops and restaurants were closed, it was only 6:00PM Wednesday, there's no reason a Lone Star shouldn't be open! After driving around long enough and seeing a few places boarded up I figured out the whole place had been flooded and they were still cleaning the buildings. But the parking lots and road looked good. The landscaping is what threw me, it was all green like nothing ever happened, I figured it would have been brown with trash all over it.
That's one thing I love about the midwest, mostly Iowa, people are out there doing the clean-up themselves, and getting it done and done quickly! I can't say for sure, but from what I know I don't think New Orleans and the surrounding area is still even close to what it used to be, they are all still waiting for somebody to come and do the work for them!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by farmdad
Have you had any lookers at your house, or haven't you put it on the market yet?

I know how you felt when you were in CR and commented on how quickly things were getting cleaned up from the flood. I was in downtown Iowa City not too long ago and couldn't figure out why all the shops and restaurants were closed, it was only 6:00PM Wednesday, there's no reason a Lone Star shouldn't be open! After driving around long enough and seeing a few places boarded up I figured out the whole place had been flooded and they were still cleaning the buildings. But the parking lots and road looked good. The landscaping is what threw me, it was all green like nothing ever happened, I figured it would have been brown with trash all over it.
That's one thing I love about the midwest, mostly Iowa, people are out there doing the clean-up themselves, and getting it done and done quickly! I can't say for sure, but from what I know I don't think New Orleans and the surrounding area is still even close to what it used to be, they are all still waiting for somebody to come and do the work for them!
Edit:
I agree with everything I said, only, I didn't say it. Farmb0y did. That will teach him to use my computer without checking who's on first. We haven't made it up to Parkersburg yet but from what I hear, the only things that haven't been rebuilt there are the trees. And they are starting to work on that.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Randy needs anything, just let us know, we'll take care of him...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by farmdad

Well I still have a few small projects to finish before I officially list my house. I want to make excellent first impressions to try and get it sold ASAP, I don't want my unfinished wanescoting to turn off a potential buyer..lol. Probably next week my realtor and I will get started on it. I'm listing it for a really low price in hopes I get a few buyers fighting over it.

Yeah, there is no comparison between the flood damage in Iowa and New Orleans..definitely cultural differences there. leave it to the rednecks to take charge and get $h*t done!

Yeah the first thing I noticed when I went out there was how green everything is, and how there is life everywhere you look. There are birds and bugs and frogs and little creatures and flowers everywhere. I talked to Randy last night and he was telling me that we have tree frogs in the big tree right outside our bedroom window...which is exciting. Denver is so void of creatures, you see an occasional Robin or whatever but it's nothing like it is there. He had a run in with a corn spider while unpacking some things from the truck last night. I've never seen one of those but he explained it to me...ewwwww. lol

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by fellro86
If Randy needs anything, just let us know, we'll take care of him...
I really appreciate that. He hired a few guys to come out Wednesday evening to help him unload the truck, and move the heavy things like the washer/dryer/couch and beds. Once all of that is done he should be okay.

Really all I want is for Randy to find some good friends. He had a few so-called "friends" he made with his old employer back in Denver that showed their true colors towards the end of his time here.

We're both really hoping this move can be a new beginning for both of us. He's 30 and I'm 26 and we're both just so burned out on working our lives away and not having any fun, and being surrounded by people who do nothing but cause drama.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
glad he has made it out and getting settled in. Hope the selling goes well on your place and you can get out here then we will have to plan a gtg. or you and Randy can come over to Newton like we talked about and we can beat up on all the cars with our diesels LOL

Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
or you and Randy can come over to Newton like we talked about and we can beat up on all the cars with our diesels LOL
Indeed! If I make anything "extra" on the house (beyond what i'd like to get), it's going straight into the truck. I'm thinking a BTS, DP, and a few other goodies.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

I have a DP, did the 6637 air filter and a 5" straight pipe exhaust as well as a home built regulated return fuel system.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Unfortunately, there are the fair weather friends no matter where you go... the general attitude around here in the country anyway, is not so much that way, but as more city folk discover the greatness of living away from it all, the city type attitudes are creeping out here too... I'm generally in CR most of the time, and my place is only about 35 miles SW of CR, so I'm generally available...

Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
"Please", "Thanks", "Need a hand?", and a friendly wave to everyone you see on the back roads. (Then argue about who it was and where they were going.)

Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by fellro86
the general attitude around here in the country anyway, is not so much that way, but as more city folk discover the greatness of living away from it all, the city type attitudes are creeping out here too... ...
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear
"Please", "Thanks", "Need a hand?", and a friendly wave to everyone you see on the back roads. (Then argue about who it was and where they were going.)
I hope you guys don't consider me one of those imperious city folk. I don't want to give Denver a bad name. It really is a nice place to live. There are some smaller towns in the mountains and out East and North that are still full of good people who still wave and will stop to help you out. If you run into a rude person around here, without a doubt they are from California. I hate to say it but it's true.

I'm going to have to practice my "Powerstroke wave". Every now and again I'll be driving around out somewhere rural and I get the wave and I am so shocked it takes me too long to respond...and I dont want to be rude.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
As long as you adopt our country attitudes and leave the city ways behind... no problem! The problem I have is people that live in the country, but still expect it to be like it was in the city. Sorry folks, but the roads don't get plowed immediately, we deal with it. Get out the tractor, clear it ourselves. The preferential treatment that many expect drives me crazy. Last spring, we had a wet spring, the roads got soft, they were muddy. Certain individuals that have apparently monetary influence with the county had rock dumped on their roads, but the rest of us were told there was no money to do that. Now if they paid for that themselves, fine and dandy, but it was taxpayer money that did it. Also, there are some new houses off to the west of me, their road is always graded and rocked, just as many people live on mine, but we will go for a month without the road being graded, while theirs is done weekly.
Then there is the problems with people moving to the country expecting the farmers around them to cease their livelihood because they moved there... the farm equipment is too loud, or they work at night when the neighbors complain about the noise. When it is harvest time, it is time to roll, we do it as long as we can, because if it starts raining, we can't do it. But these kind of people will call the cops because the farmers are making too much noise. Those are the ones I can't stand to see come out here, the ones that are paying too much attention to what their neighbors are doing, rather than keeping their nose in their own business. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to clarify the type person I would prefer just stay in town... If you notice the Kali attitude, likely, you are not one of the afore-mentioned persons... Not all city persons are that way, but the uppity ones tend to rub me wrong... They come out to join us, but still consider us below them, and a bother to them...

Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Roger you forgot the ones that move just north of a feedlot then complain to the state and DNR about the smell (yes that one happened to me when i was feeding cattle and sheep)

Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Yep, sure did forget them... even though the lots have been there for 20 years, people move in and then complain about the smell, kind of like developers building next to an airport and complaining about the noise...

Quick Reply: OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?