Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roger, can you see Mast's place from your deck? just west of the elevator on 6, white house with a white fence.

If you are wanting some good level B roads to play on, there are some good ones around where I live, North English. I burried my 77 F150 explorer(3" lift...33x10.5) up to the rockers on some of them

Old 08-09-2008, 06:29 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is before you cross Bear Creek, I can see it, west of there, the trees block the view...
Ever been out to Seven Hills Road, west of Parnell? That one is pretty wicked...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is (was) a Seven Hills Road north of Dysart. One end was a T intersection and if you miscounted......... The county has gated both ends.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Y'all need to come over to the Loess hills and hit up Timber Ridge ATV park in western Iowa.

Also, there are some serious cow paths in them hills that just begging to be drove on in a 4x4.

I recently moved from the western part of the state to about an hour west of CR. It's a little different but not much. Just more people and development.

I don't know how man PSD members are in the area, but I have a pretty good range of tools if ya ever need borrow them.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
its the first place west of Bear Creek, south side.

Yeah..seven hills....lets just say spring shackle bolts may or may not have been broken by going to fast over a couple of those hills, neither confirm nor deny that statement hahahahah.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I was thinking that was the place... my ex inlaws lived right at the bottom of the hill where the gravel ends if you turned instead of going on the dirt road... my old 75 was known to have been taken out there in the rain a few times by a previous owner...

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
haha yeah, i used to hit that road out west of rhino ridge when it got a lil soupy, till i kept hitting huge sand spots, theres a couple good ones out on Pigeon too, like cherry and flat foot road....lets just say some farmers HATED me and my buds in highschool

Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 PM
maadman
Senior User
Lisa, definetly come to the Fair. Where else can you see an event such as "Washing chickens" or life sized "butter sculptures"? As far as real estate goes, Roger is right on as far as the smaller towns in the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City area are great places to live and still reasonable priced, except of course the price of diesel...Ha-Ha. I think you will find that most everyone here is more than helpful and wants to stay in Iowa as it is a great place to live. Is this heaven? No it's Iowa!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Hi guys,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

I'm back in Denver and back at work this morning.

I enjoyed Iowa, got to do a quick tour of the state via I-80 on my road trip out there. The drive itself was pretty uneventful. Terrible fog just outside of the North Platte area, which was a little scary. Caught the attention of an Iowa Statey just outside of Council Bluffs, doing 77 in a 70 (I was trying really hard to be good). Luckily, right as he turned around to come get me, a lil red mustang on the opposite side of the highway had just broke free from a big convoy of truckers and I figure he was probably doing 95 to 100 mph. That statey had bigger fish to fry.

CR is nice, Randy took me around and showed me some of the flood damage. All I can say is, wow..and I was impressed with how quickly people are getting things cleaned up and rebuilt.

I loved MV, as I thought I would. Took a bunch of pictures of that area. Here is a link to my photobucket account of those images if you all are interested:

dryerlisa/Mount vernon - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We had a heck of a time finding a place to rent. We got tied up with a shady property management company..so we started looking through the paper and got lucky and contacted a cool lady named Susan who spent hours with us showing us some of her properties. Good thing we found her! We ended up renting a 3 bedroom farmhouse on the NW side of CR. It sits on a 1/2 acre, a huge garage for all our vehicles..it'll do fine until we are prepared to buy a house.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Glad to hear you are happy with the area. You'll have to swing by the 16th Ave Autozone some evening when I'm working... otherwise, just have to get together sometime...

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by fellro86
Glad to hear you are happy with the area. You'll have to swing by the 16th Ave Autozone some evening when I'm working... otherwise, just have to get together sometime...
Well if you see a big red lifted powerstroke, with a redhead driving, you'll know it's me.

Someday when I can drive around without getting lost, I'll stop by.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 AM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
roger you're workin at the 16th ave autozone? may have to stop up there and get parts when i'm up stayin with 'the wifey' up in CR, my regular parts guy is taking a vacation(sparky at Advanced Auto in iowa city) and I don't trust many people when it comes to parts for my truck.

you see a blue/white GSXR, yellow 65 stang, or a tan exploder roll in and a...well you know me haha...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
We really have a good group of guys working there, if I'm not there, just as for "Sarge" as most call him, Ron to me... he has been there since the store opened. Most everyone knows their stuff there. I work about 20 hours a week, so it can be tricky at times catching me actually there, but with classes starting again, I probably will be there either nights or weekends again...

Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
well it'd probably be monday or wednesday nights, otherwise i work at the other job at night. i swear its hard to find a good parts guy anymore, these punk kids that saw the Fast and Furios movies think they know enough to be a parts salesman.

Proof: a certain Audi/VW/Nissan/Mazda/Benz dealer in the IC area, 4 orders......4 screwups, not slight but MAJOR(need a crank pulley..they send us a water pump, and so on).

so are we going to have a welcome thing for the new girl? a lil gtg over here in eastern iowa?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Sad mthi8ng about that dealer, back when I worked there in the 90's they had top of the line parts guys...

Quick Reply: OT - thoughts on living in Iowa?