General Automotive Discussion

wierdest stuff that youve found or seen on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 AM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wierdest stuff that youve found or seen on the side of the road

ive seen some wierd stuff on the side of the road at least in my lifetime a while back i saw a pallet jack that had fallen out of a truck was sittin in the middle of the road and when i was a kid i remember my dad findin a hammer in the road and pickin it up another time he told me that he saw a guy towin a boat up parleys canyon here and his boat came off his trailer and slid down the canyon lets hear your stories

Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
hahaha thats awesome ive seen some deer looks before they give me a pretty good laughs

Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Jolly Green
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, good topic.

My dad is retired from the PA Department of Transportation with over 30 years of service. I worked there for three summers in college too, plus I'm just on the road a lot. Together, the old man and I have found lots of stuff!

A few I can think of now..and some more common finds:

--Tarp straps. I've never, ever, purchased a rubber tarp strap in my life, but probably have enough of them to stretch from here to Detroit.

--Tools. I have all kinds of rusted "road kill" tools that have come in handy a time or two. We actually used to have a tool kit on our boat made of all road kill tools, since they were probably gonna rust on a boat anyway.

--Just the other day I found a real nice crescent wrench laying right on the yellow line!

--I once picked up a hitchhiker named Russell along the road.

--My dad found a new 35 mm camera in the case once. This was in the 90's when that was something to have!

--Lots of old license plates found on the road now hang in my garage.

--Mufflers off of my Harley. Yea, they came off one day and passed me! Just as I thought, "Gee, the bike is getting real loud", I looked down in time to see them drop off and skate down the highway. I threw a glove on real quick (they were hot) and went and picked them up, and slid them back on. They got chewed up real good. I found out they were faulty and the shop replaced them with a different brand free of charge.

Tip: Never put Rush brand pipes on a Dyna Wideglide!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
yeah my dads a truck driver out here and ive started to pick up on it the hammer we found is still around i we find tons of bungee cords too probly cause we live close to the dump i still think that the pallet jack in the midddle of the road and the boat are the best that we have seen for awhile i have to say though the pannies and mufflers are pretty good too

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Jolly Green
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1985 Ford F-150
yeah my dads a truck driver out here and ive started to pick up on it the hammer we found is still around i we find tons of bungee cords too probly cause we live close to the dump i still think that the pallet jack in the midddle of the road and the boat are the best that we have seen for awhile
Yea, the boat would be something to see!

I used to have a CB in my truck, and once I was running a back road close to Interstate 80. I could here the truckers out there talking about a big animal on the road. I took a spin out by it and saw that it was a beautiful bull elk that got railed by a jimmy. Really a shame for the animal. The funny part though, is that some city slicker gear jammer went by and yelled over the CB, "Hey somebody hit a moose!"

Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
hahaha that probly did a ton of damage to the jimmy that hit it i saw a spike deer that was hit a couple of days ago by my house though about goin and cuttin off the antlers my cousin said he cut some off an antelope he found on the side of the road could mount em on my hood that would be funny

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts
Just the other day I scored a nice trenching shovel from an intersection.

I've gone to Phoenix several time in Feb. for the NHRA races. Almost evey trip I've seen a dead Moose in the bar ditch snow with it's feet sticking straight up in the air.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
yeah it wouldnt suprise me down there in the winter ive seen tons of cars down in the ol bar pit round here in the winter time i like to go pull them rice burners around in a foot of snow

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
my dad has found all kinds of tools.

one time in West Texas (I live in Central Texas) we were driving and there was an alfalfa bale in the left lane of I-10.

about 2 weeks ago I saw a lady turning around in the middle median of the interstate in a van. about 4 miles later they passed us.

about 3 months ago in Dallas we were going down the freeway in a charter bus. 2 African-American women passed us in a POS car. about a mile down the road they pulled over cause it was smoking. we passed by them and saw that flames were coming from under the car!!!!!

in San Antonio I was on the interstate with my dad and we came across a part of the road where an 18-wheeler lost the load of wood and everyone was dodging it........good times

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
F250army45d
Elder User
Well also in PA along route 30 I run with a volunteer fire dept when I'm home. We responded to an accident involving a tractor trailer reported leaking fuel so we went out helped the patients and then were controlling the deisel fuel leaking from the saddle tanks on the tractor trailer. Well he had two saddle tanks I think 150 gallons each leaking on the berm of the raod so we dug a trench to contain it as not to let it run into a small creek. Well while digging the trnch we found a big black ***** yes we speculated the trucker had thrown it out before we got there. but any way we had to call hazmat and EPA because the amount of fuel that hit the ground. Well one of are old fire chiefs now the chief of the hazmat team showed up and we told him we had some odd material we needed him to check out of course it was the ***** lol. But have found tools bungy cords even a trailer ball and reciever.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
LTAR
Senior User
Moved to Belgium when I was 14 (dad in air force) and wasn’t there a week and saw a lady squatting on the side of the road taking a leak. Eyes about popped out of my head. Not an uncommon sight in Europe.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 148 Likes on 121 Posts
Forgot to mention the dead meese were in the Flagstaff area.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Brewski
Senior User
I'm sure tool finds are quite common. I found a screwdriver along a roadside that has a very normal size flat head and regular size handle, but its about 3 feet long! I have no idea what its manufactured purpose is, but I find it useful from time to time.

For the past 7 years I've commuted about 20 miles one-way to work and during that time I've seen no less than 1/2 a dozen aluminum and fiberglass step ladders that apparently fell off of work trucks and were then destroyed by interstate traffic! What a waste.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
n9lhm
Senior User
My dad taught me as a youngster to ALWAYS look around at intersections for tools that fall off of vehicles, especially trucks. Over the years I have picked up a lot of them -- often expensive stuff like Snap-On or Mac. My wife always used to ask 'What are you doing" when I'd open up the car door at an intersection and pick something up. Now she doesn't bother anymore.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
hell come to think of it my dad did find an aluminum ladder and hung it off of the mirror to bring it home

Quick Reply: wierdest stuff that youve found or seen on the side of the road