1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What was your "Handle"? Back in the day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM
mellowyellow55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was your "Handle"? Back in the day!

Just going through some of my old stuff, and some things I aquired after my dad passed away and wondering if any of you had a "Handle"?

Remember the day when you could only purchase gas on odd or even days, according to you license plates? Interest rates on home loans were double digits. Remember the hit that came out by C.W. McCall (think thats right) CONVOY!

I was looking at a CB radio that came out of my dad's truck, you know, one of the good ones, with the extra power that you could "Walk" on anyone around you. Got me thinking about the good old days, you know, back in the day.

I had a "Handle" because I spent about every weekend going from Tucson, AZ to Phoenix ,AZ hauling my racecar hooked up to the back of my new 1976 Ford F150 burnt orange with the white stripes on the side and the hood, with a 460 and a super towing package and the bed of the truck loaded down with tires, tools, gas and gears for that nights race. I raced in the Late Model division, and my car # was 55.

I used a CB radio in my truck when I was traveling down the freeway at 70 -80 miles and hour, towing my racecar,(Speed limit then was 55mph) I needed that extra help from the truckers, you know, they all had CB radios back then. I was trying to keep from getting a citation for going to fast, and as a fact, never did I get one either! My "Handle" was "DOUBLE NICKEL" stems from the number on the side of the door. As I passed the trucks late at night on my way home from the races, the truckers would call out to me, "Hey, is that you Double Nickel?" Pretty easy to figure that one out! So we had fun talking and driving down the road, lots of those drivers would tell me stories of thier home town tracks, racers, and events.

Well, I was young, not married and lived for racing. Great days, great times, funny how looking at something like a CB radio would make you want to post something like this for other to read. Just thought there might be some other out there, that may want to reveal their "Handle". Some good stories about people that communicated over the open air waves, nice people, late at night on a dark road, going home. Kinda reminds me of here, FTE, nice people, good conversation on our way towards home (building trucks I mean).

Well, if you want to, tell us your "Handle" and add a story. We all like stories!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read post.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from way back till the present everyone knows me by mine in most cases . i took it from my favorite popeye character .... wimpy . oh and i was watching another iconic movie that i went to see with my hero ... smokey and the bandit , the other night and waxed poetic over the past . yer right man .... good times . i can stiil remember gramps smoking the hides on his 73 f-150 ranger xlt all the way through the malls parking lot when we left , the duals just bellowing .....

Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I was a teen during the CB craze. I still have my old base station on a shelf somewhere, even a linear to boost the power. We lived out in the boonies and at the time there was nothing for a bunch of us school kids to do but sit in front of the radio and talk, sort of sounds like us in front of the computer now, Huh? It was a big thing back then when conditions were just right and you could catch some "skip" and talk to someone far away. I was in south LA and have post cards from folks as far away as Nova Scotia. I wish I could find some of the cards that had my handle on them, it was a picture of a big rock with a CB radio sitting on top and dual antennae sticking up on the sides. My handle back then was...... here it comes......"Pet Rock" sounds sort of stupid nowadays, but that was what I was known as back then. Now I go by the "Mechanical Magician", still use a slightly tuned up CB especially when I am looking for some of my customers in the log woods.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
homade
Posting Guru
WOW, some of the things I've heard on the cb airwaves well on second thought we better forget that, I drove for many years running all 48 at the time and talked to many cb'ers and COPPER PENNY got to be a handle that was pretty well known especially from LA to Cincinnati to Boston but I sure do like this retirement a lot better than trucking so take out your crayons and color me gone 10-4

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
I almost got into CB radio. Listened to one for a while, then moved to radio scanners, then into Ham radio.

There's a CB in the Kenworth that I get to play with at work, but I think I've turned it on...twice, maybe, in the last year. Aside from all the garbage on there, I'd just rather listen to a big ole Cat holler through the 6" straight pipes.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Gator.....

Me and a guy I worked with use to bs on our way to work. He was jack rabbit or JR.
He had a damn setup in his car I forget the terminaology I think it was a linear like mentioned but not sure. Anyway he could back up tot he building and hit that thing and come over the pa system.
We use to boost it up and mess with the drivethroughs at lunch.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

I was (garage man JR), my father was , you guessed it garage man sr. My father had a trailer building shop and we used to plow in the winter for extra cash. This was back before cell phones so it was cbs in all the trucks. Mom would tend the homebase to let us know if there was a land line. We called her mother goose. Things you remember from the past. It never got old, Roger over and out!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
73s

Originally Posted by LiftTech
I almost got into CB radio. Listened to one for a while, then moved to radio scanners, then into Ham radio.

There's a CB in the Kenworth that I get to play with at work, but I think I've turned it on...twice, maybe, in the last year. Aside from all the garbage on there, I'd just rather listen to a big ole Cat holler through the 6" straight pipes.
Hey LiftTech,
Do you still keep up you license? I'm KB8TRR.

Later Man...

Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
I do indeed, sort of. I took my mobile rig out when I sold my '02 diesel and bought my '56, and just haven't had the time to set up the rig as a base yet. Heck, I haven't even updated my information since the wife and I moved out of Nashville almost two years ago. We just finished remodeling the upstairs, so I'm hoping to get an antenna up here soon. I'm N4WLF.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Street Rodder

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Back in the day '70's (with the van clubs ) the handle I used was Speed Freak ,or Flame One Phase Two .No need to elaborate on the first one .The second was for the correct flame job on the van ( in candy apple tangerine on hemi irredecent base with gold pearl ) after the wreck .Some AWOL private crashed into me at over 60 mph while I was stopped at a traffic light . He was driving a '74 white Trans Am .Wiped out everything to the firewall on his car .What a launch !!Sometimes still get that feeling but only when I am the passenger .That was in '75 .The two things that saved me were the high back seats and it was a truck .It still bent the seat base post 3" backward .

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in the '70s I went by the handle "Boomer". I still have a CB in the truck and go by "Mr Goodwrench". And yes my license # is KRU9693

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i will agree with the garbage on it now . i have one in the work trusk {s} always havw always will , but hardly turn 'em on nowadays because of the garbage . dain shame if you ask me ...............

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 34 Plymouth street rod during those days and often traveled with a rod club. My handle was Mopar. I even remember my call number KTC-6349. Woohoo, those were the good old days....

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
The Blue Light Special

When I bought my first CB at age 20 back in 1975, I was employed as a night janitor at the local K-Mart. Back then, they used the flashing blue light for in-store specials ("Blue Light Specials"), and so I took the name as my handle.

These were, of course, pre-cellphone days, and we used our CB's mainly to communicate where the parties were on the weekend, and keep tabs on local law enforcement.

Quick Reply: What was your "Handle"? Back in the day!