1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Long Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
F-350PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Trip

Ok on friday I'm driving my truck 850 miles from Simsbury CT to Pawley's Island SC. I will be towing a 19 ft. Aeroglass boat. What should I worry about? What parts should I bring just in case? The truck is a '97 with the E40D, regular cab. It has the Tymar intake and downpipe, boost, pyrometer, and trans. temp gauges, it may have a TW chip in it by that time too. It has 4.10s and the tires are 35's. Would I be better off putting my stock tires back on for the highway and towing? I also only have a spare for the stock tires.
-Thanks

P.S: Just changed the oil and the brakes were done about 8 months ago.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
CPS! have a new one in my glove box always.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If it were me doing this, I'd use the tires that match the spare. If the spare tire doesn't match the one it's replacing, that's a dangerous situation when you're not towing.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
i don't think that i would be too worried about the spare being different sizes as long as all your tires are in good shape, and you don't have a limited slip diff, if by chance you do have a blow out a different size tire will still get you a few miles up the road driving slowly to the nearest service station. if your really worried about it you can probably pick up a used tire in the same size as your others for $25-$30 you may have to go around to several tire shops to find one that has one available though. main thing is make sure all your fluids are in good shape your hoses and belts are in good shape, carry some tools with you i also carry a spare belt under my back seat just to be safe. its actually my old belt that i took off last time i replaced it. grease your trailer bearing good before you leave and grease them again before heading back, boat trailer bearing like to fail seems how they get dipped in watter often.