Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

No topic thread,,, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Randy_270
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evening everyone. Super nice out today. Got some of my yard pooper scooped. Had the day off today because I start evening shift on Monday.

Sherwin, that sucks to hear about your Explorer, hopefully its fixed soon. How well does your aftermarket remote start work? We have the factory remote start on both my truck and our Explorer. Lately the Explorer has just been honking at us and not starting a lot. My truck has done this maybe twice in the two and a half years I've owned it... Either way that remote start on the Explorer is making me mad and I'm going have it ripped out and replaced with an aftermarket on if it keeps this up.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
My truck's outside covered up. I'll try to measure it tomorrow. Is your measurement right at the rear of the rail? What size tire do you have on it?
Yes that measurement was at the end of the frame rail and the tire size on these rims are P215/70R15's. will likely go with a taller tire once things are further along as these are just rollers.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:24 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Hello All . Hope you are well ! Life getting back to normal after the arctic cold snap .Thunderstorms forecast for next week ! ???
Tennessee , If you don't like the weather , Wait till tomorrow . It will change ...

Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Happy Saturday mornin'all. Have a great day guy's.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning Fellas... Pooches let me sleep in past my usual 5am rise. Love my pooches.

Randy, the remote seems to be ok. I'm not the guy who starts it inside walmart when I'm 1/2 way through shopping. I don't shop I like to be able to see the vehicle when is starts. I'm not sure if I would call it an aftermarket remote start or what. It wasn't factory installed, but it is a Ford branded "plug and play" system. The dealer installed it as per our sales agreement.

Hope everyone has a great saturday. I'll be truck hunting. An aquaintance of mine has a small dealer here in town. He's got a 2007 F150 with 174k on it that I may look seriously into. Its got some dings and such but its relatively cheap I think...

Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
It has a dealer installed Ford remote, its not a factory remote though. Are you aware of some interactions/complications from such a system?
Afirmative, Over
Confirmed no, quite a few complaints i've heard of an brought up when getting mumzies installed. Local installer. Only guy other than a couple Ford Dealerships that's authorized to "Lazer" cut new keys or Valet key for all new Ford Vehicles. He also can program the keys. He's been doing them for over 20 years and does majority Ford. I did bring it up to him and he advised to stay away from certain remote starts. Highly recommended Compustar on ours. 90% of the issues related to command start installs from what was said. We chose the 2way.
Basically he said with the new systems there has been reported issues and basically stated he will not install certain models. Has fixed many "Other" installers work and confirmed it can and does mess up the factory system if done incorrectly. He wouldn't go into detail nor be specific. He also stated he's had a few issues with the New Generation CompuStars going into the Fords so he uses an older Model that's been true and problem free.
It was brought up to him as my cousins Edge had one installed. He had major issues after. $50G vehicle NEW and over a month in Ford and they found a wiring issue directly related to "Modifications made to the factory wiring". Some Ford dealers here do there own installs, most dont, there all taken to shops to install. Visions is one, Our installer is the other number I got. Does it out of his garage with his son. His issue Turned into a 10G autopac claim after months of fighting. Directly effecting the computer. It recieved an entire wiring harness ect ect. That's coming from a family member. Rare, i'm sure it is, but when I called around to get one installed in mumzies escape most wouldn't install on the newer Fords....... Have to remember, with the millions spent in engineering these computer systems to last a loooooong service life and installing a generic car starter to interupt factory peramiters to do a "remote start" can put some weird values into the mix. Especially the newer and more complicated these vehicles are becoming these days.
Sherm with yours being a steering issue I highly doubt this is the culprit but may be worth a look into what type (model) you have and research issues related to it.

RANDY< The Horn or "Chirps" directly relate to what the remote starter is having issues with. 1 chirp means one thing and 5 mean another.
Honks or chirps usually mean something needs to be set OR it's not reconizing the key as the "Admin" key. A no start with a honk usually means that (learned alot as I had a few issues after I re-flashed eXcursion with PATS) The "Factory" ones are usually generic brand name ones. Check the type and model number and you'll find the manual on line. That'll help you big time!!

Ok, my Brain hurts now. Put a couple hundred km's on the sled last night. Awesome night ride. Went to Grand Beach and played in the sand dunes, well snow dunes. What a blast!! I think I'm going to head out today for a lil rip. Played with suspension again and it's a rocket in and out of the corners, soaking up stutter bumps much better AND Gained 10km/h!!! Amazing what only suspension settings can do!!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
It has a dealer installed Ford remote, its not a factory remote though. Are you aware of some interactions/complications from such a system?
Years ago I had a Lincoln LS. Bought it used and had a Ford remote start added. Yup, real Ford stuff, installed by the dealer. Supposedly, it was a plug and play system consisting of a module that plugged right into the wiring. Remotes had actual Ford logos on them and it worked flawlessly.

Now, the reason for insisting on the factory stuff was Ford PATS. That's the computer chip keys. Pretty sure your Explorer uses the same system. I'm not sure how the Ford system got around it, but you will not get your PATS equipped vehicle to start without the physical presence of the transponder built into your Ford key. No aftermarket systems addressed this directly and required some sort of bypass that usually involved hiding a programmed transponder key somewhere in the vehicle, effectively bypassing PATS. Since PATS is part of the vehicle PCM, you can't just cut a wire or remove a module. I was living in Manitoba at the time and MPI was all gaga about vehicle immobilizers, which is pretty much the same thing as PATS. I'm pretty sure any disabling of the technology would not be well received should you have a theft claim.

So, long story short, I would not trust an aftermarket remote starter in a PATS equipped vehicle even if the dealer did the installation. I think PATS is something that can be turned off in the PCM. I believe Ford was doing just that for certain customers like law enforcement, but I think it would be frowned upon by the insurance industry.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I know First hand , some ... Law enforcement vehicles do not have pats . Some ... Dodge products with the Police package do have their security system turned off also ....

Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hockey this morning, and Matthew scored a goal and also made a great toe save on a breakaway so he was a happy guy. They lost 21 - 19 so he was a bit bummed about that. Just another Jr. Novice game. Then off to dance this afternoon and the to Moose Jaw to watch the Warriors and Pats. It was a barn burner with the Warriors winning in OT.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
Hockey this morning, and Matthew scored a goal and also made a great toe save on a breakaway so he was a happy guy. They lost 21 - 19 so he was a bit bummed about that. Just another Jr. Novice game. Then off to dance this afternoon and the to Moose Jaw to watch the Warriors and Pats. It was a barn burner with the Warriors winning in OT.
ATTA BOY MATHEW! Happy Sunday mornin'all. Our hot water recirculation pump packed it in yesterday, and at midnite the RO line under the sink broke, pouring water all over the kitchen floor and running down into the cold room in the basement. Pump's ordered. be here Wednesday, and hoping Home Depot has the fitting's I need to repair the RO line. My Bro's out of town, so I've been at work yesterday and today. At least I got my Truck all spiffed up. Jordan has 2 trucks and a reefer to wash out then it's back home to play a poor excuse of a plumber. I'm far too big to be working under a sink.Have a great day guy's.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Morning Fellas. Too bad about the loss Colin, but great that your little guy is a promising player!!

Pretty sure our Explorer steering issue has nothing to do with the command start. I talked to the tech that is working on it yesterday, he has done 3 of them in the past 2 years. It seems if temps are below -30 that something malfunctions. I have to agree with him, because both times were very cold and cold winds with the Ex not plugged in. Built for life in Canada eh?

Well my truck shopping yesterday turned up nothing to my specs. I have a hard time finding the right value in used vehicles. Most of it is overpriced, or simply what I'm looking for is unavailable. On the other hand this Focus loaner car is getting 42 mpg, I think I'll keep it...

Sucks about your plumbing woes Grant...

Have a great day everyone!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by yamagrant
ATTA BOY MATHEW! Happy Sunday mornin'all. Our hot water recirculation pump packed it in yesterday, and at midnite the RO line under the sink broke, pouring water all over the kitchen floor and running down into the cold room in the basement. Pump's ordered. be here Wednesday, and hoping Home Depot has the fitting's I need to repair the RO line. My Bro's out of town, so I've been at work yesterday and today. At least I got my Truck all spiffed up. Jordan has 2 trucks and a reefer to wash out then it's back home to play a poor excuse of a plumber. I'm far too big to be working under a sink.Have a great day guy's.
Sounds like you had a bad day Grant and need to pull up your pants or fix that crack too

Old 03-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To bad about the water line, that is always a pain. I am not much of a plumber either.

Sherm our auto sliding door on our van doesn't work when it gets real cold also. There are few other people who have Montanas in town and they have the same problem also.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Morning Fellas. The air is taking on a different feeling and smell... I hope its spring!!

Colin, who says vehicles don't have feelings?

Hoping to pick up a truck tonight, if it doesn't sell before I get to it. 2002 F150, supposed to be real mint with 200k on it. Kms are low for the year, so if its in as good shape as the ad says and the owner says, I'll bring it home.

Have a great day everyone!!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Happy Monday mornin'all. Good luck Sherm. I got 1/2 my plumbing woe's fixed. I'm just waiting for the circulation pump. I'll get it Wednesday. Crazy busy today. Have a great day guy's.

Quick Reply: No topic thread,,, Part 2