1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air bag light blinks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Araltd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still need help here...

I have a 2001 expedition eb, and my air bag light is blinking 3 6 code. Passenger & Driver side high resistance.

Looking under each of the two front seats, I see a yellow harness under both seats, but these are plugged in to a yellow cap, not into a place or harness or anything.. its like they are "terminated" with these caps. Can someone PLEASE post pictures of what I should be seeing under here? or tell me what I can try to resolve this error 36 blinking code. THANKS.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Araltd
Junior User
I inspected the cables wires etc of these yellow harnesses. all seem fine. i removed the caps, connectors look good, put them back - no change.

still getting 3 6 airbag flashing light

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Araltd
Junior User
bump .. plz help

Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
uncleben03
Junior User
I have an 03 XLT with the 5.4. My light is flashing 5 2. Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by uncleben03
I have an 03 XLT with the 5.4. My light is flashing 5 2. Any suggestions?
It's flashing out a code to you. When you turn the key on start counting the flashes til the pause, then count the next set of flashes. Say it was flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, this would be a code 23. Keep reading the codes until the pattern repeats at which point you're done. Post the codes here and we can tell you what they mean.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM
uncleben03
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
It's flashing out a code to you. When you turn the key on start counting the flashes til the pause, then count the next set of flashes. Say it was flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, this would be a code 23. Keep reading the codes until the pattern repeats at which point you're done. Post the codes here and we can tell you what they mean.
I did post the code, it's 52 still...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 PM
alloro
Code 52 means the airbag module sensed the battery voltage has dropped to 8 volts or less. Start by checking all fuses for the airbag system. I believe there's more than one.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM
uncleben03
Junior User
I unplugged the battery, disconnected the plugs under the front seats and hooked it all up again. that fixed the problem. makes sense because its been doing it since my old battery crapped out before I put the optima in. thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
fivestarairbags
New User
Originally Posted by TexFinn
Okay... Coming back to this airbag light issue...

Today when I picked the Expedition from the shop from replacing the pinion and carrier bearings I asked them to hook up their scanner to see what the airbag code really is.

It came back as B2292, which indicates a problem with the passenger side seat belt pretensioner.

Now... The question is: How do I fix it? I'm assuming I need to get a new seat belt buckle system to the passenger side. Or...? If so, does anybody have a part # for that, or what ever I need, as I guess dealer is the only place to go to get what I need...?

The problem is not in the seatbelt itself but in the large yellow connector connected to the seatbelt. Most of the seatbelt buckles will have a straight connector plugged into the "piston" on the buckle but that wire travels underneatht the seat and plugs into a larger yellow plug which ends up being defective. Since this "harness" does not come with a seatbelt when it is purchased new, replacing the seatbelt will not fix the problem. I recommend to my customers that they simply "cut out the section of the yellow plug on both sides of the harness and hard wire it directly". If the seat or seatbelt ever needs to be removed, you can simply unplug the harness from the buckle itself to do that. Once you do this and cycle the ignition, the code will go away automatically. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at five000@centurytel.net or go to www.fivestarairbags.com and give me a call. Hope this helps.

Chris Sullivan
Five Star Airbags

Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
fivestarairbags
New User
The code 33 is indeed a driver side seatbelt connector but can't be fixed by replacing the seatbelt. The yellow connector under the driver seat is the issue and can easily be fixed by cutting that section out and hardwiring the remaining wires together. If the seat or seatbelt ever needs to be removed, it can still be unplugged at the buckle pretensioner itself. Unfortunately, this is about the only way to fix the issue since the issue is in the yellow connector and you do not get the harness (which is the problem) when you purchase a new buckle from Ford. The code will go away by itself when the issue is fixed. Email me if you have any other questions at five000@centurytel.net or go to Airbags Air Bags OEM Air Bags Automotive Airbag Suspension Systems at Five Star Airbags and give me a call.

Chris

Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
TexFinn
Senior User
Cutting and slicing wires in the SRS system sounds a bit dangerous, but thanks for the tips, though. Maybe I'll check into that...

Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Can NOBODY help with a 3 6 code?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Araltd
Can NOBODY help with a 3 6 code?
We've already told you what is causing your code 36 and you're not following through with the repair. The problem is with the circuit under the driver's seat with the yellow connector and the cap on it.

I know you inspected the connector and the caps, but there's more to the circuit than that. You have to trace that wire and look for any breaks, or you just might have to run a new harness if you can't find any breaks.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Araltd
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
We've already told you what is causing your code 36 and you're not following through with the repair. The problem is with the circuit under the driver's seat with the yellow connector and the cap on it.

I know you inspected the connector and the caps, but there's more to the circuit than that. You have to trace that wire and look for any breaks, or you just might have to run a new harness if you can't find any breaks.
DOH! So like pull up the carpet and trace that harness all the way back to wherever the air bag control module is???

Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Araltd
So like pull up the carpet and trace that harness all the way back to wherever the air bag control module is?
Yes, unless you know where the airbag module is. If you do, you can unplug the connector and check the wires with a meter for continuity. Also, just in case you weren't aware; that cap that plugs into the connector under the seat is actually a resistor. The reason you're getting a code 36 is that the airbag module cannot detect that resistor. The problem could be as simple as that resistor being no good. If it fits, you could try swapping it with it's passenger side counterpart. If the resistor is the problem, the code 36 will go away and a code 37 will appear.

Quick Reply: Air bag light blinks!!!