Anything for boosting mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything for boosting mpg?

Well I've never much worried about mpg before, yeah it hurt a little especially with the bronco but my 150 getting 14-15 was ok.

But after my recent move I'm now looking at a 80mi round trip to work. mostly hwy and my mileage is a little better at around 16. but just curious if there is any mods that can help mileage a little with the 4.2L?

Nothing I've done tuning things up have made any difference, new m.c. plugs, wires, synth oil, replaced all fluids in diffs, xfer, clutch, even taken off the mechanical fan for a month and so no gains.

I know I run bigger than stock tires but they did not hurt my mileage. Though I have a spare set of rims (the factory ones) and thinking about a skinnier tire like 255x85.

Of course I've also been thining about a car for the daily commute now, but wont be able to afford a newer car at least until will sell our other house (two mortgages right now yikes!) and cant trust a sub $2k beater, need something reliable.

I know some of the v8 guys have used programmers or tuners or whatever they are called and even on stage two or three and higher octane gas have seen improvements, wondering if something like that would work for the v6 since 92-94 octane right now is a good deal.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few threads here dealing with what folks get for MPG. You fall about in the middle.

The larger tires can mess with mpg calculations because they can change the odometer and you might actually be traveling more miles than indicated on the odometer. Have you compared your odometer to MM posts on the freeway just to be sure.
5-10% variation could make a diff in your mpg calcs.

Anyways, there is not a lot you can do.
Tuners, gas, etc. really just won't help much.
Absent any problems or modifications that require high octane gas, you'll do best to run 87 octane.

I can tell you for a fact, in my case, the biggest factor overall is my foot.
Next biggest is speed and terrain.
Next is (believe it or not) wind. A strong head wind will kill my mpg.

I drove 405 miles yesterday. 90% highway/interstate. I cruised along about 65 mph and got about 21 mpg.
That can easliy drop to 18 or 19 if I drive 75mph and mash the gas more often.

There are sooo many variables.
Terrain (hilly or flat)
rear end gear
driving habits
etc.
etc.

I'd guess you should be able to get at least 18 mpg driving 65 mph on a relativley flat highway.

Oh yeah, I'm a little confused about one thing....

What do you mean about 94-94 octane being a "good deal" ???

Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianA
Oh yeah, I'm a little confused about one thing....

What do you mean about 94-94 octane being a "good deal" ???
Well back when I first came to town here regular was about $1 a gallon (late 90's) and ultra was 20 cents more, so 20% more. Now regular is $4 and ultra is still only 20 cents more... so now it only costs 5% more.

As for the tires yeah I have verified with GPS the odo is off by the right amount (meaning the calculated difference in size is about 9.2% and GPS has verified that on a long trip).

Yeah I have posted in about every mpg thread here, but usually not to much info there about ways to help, just folks posting thier numbers.

I drive like a sunday driver. Folks always passing me especially on take off. Apparently I drive so slow that I really **** some folks of as often 2-3 cars ride my @ss when the light turns green and one by one slam the pedal to redline to pass me then dash back in right ahead of me. Doesnt bother me, its there gas they are wasting. I take my time with the v6 and stick shift, I probably grunt it into the next gear at a tad too low of rpm, still used to the ol 300 I6. I rarely ever do more than 5 over (hwy here is 65) and usually actually stick to 65 even. Its pretty rare you'd ever catch me doing 75 even if I'm late for work it isnt worth it. Its sad I drive so modestly and in the winter with cty/hwy mix I still only getting 13 or less (got in the 11's once this winter), thought there was something wrong with the truck but as soon as the weather came back up over 50 I was getting record combined driving mpg in the 15-16's so IDK. Will experiment with going 55 but that means I'll have to get up earlier in the morning! Already got to leave the house by 5AM. HWY is pretty flat and smooth, since its north/south the wind are usually cross winds. I've only ever got 18 or more like twice, and those were on 500+ mile trips. Maybe now I drive mostly hwy to work, going 55 I might be able to squeze it to 18.

Plus still thinking about putting on the cookie cutter 255x85's and seing if any gains can be had from the skinny tires.

I dont figure there is any huge differences to be had with mods, but just figured i'd ask.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good post back and I appreciate it!

Sounds like you drive like I do.
My wife drives a G35 coupe and I have several motorcycles so I have other ways to get my acceleration and/or speed fix if I ever need it. I pretty much keep it nice and easy in the truck.

I do notice that ALWAYS I get better mpg in the summer. Actually it seems the hotter it is the better my mpg. Go figure.....
I guess the hotter air is thinner and that lets the engine run leaner so less gas is used.
And, in my experience, running the AC makes zero difference.
The absolute best mpg numbers I have ever measured (21-23 mpg) were all in summer, on the interstate, running 65-70 mph, with the AC on all the time.

Thanks again for your post.