00 Exp Speaker Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 11:10 PM
rspezfam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am interested in replacing the stock speakers in my 2000 Expedition Mach audio system. Can anyone share their own experiences and/or offer any advise on their success's. I have looked at several 5x7/6x8 speakers for the doors, but can't decide based on just reviews, price and appearence, perhaps your input will help Also, I have looked at replacing the factory sub with either Clarion's PSWFSU powered sub or MTX's FEN10A. Anyone have any experience in wiring these up? I know there made to fit in the exsisting location, but I'm sure it won't plug right into the exsisting wiring (that would be way too easy). I appreciate any help, advice, tips, warnings that anyone can offer, Thanks in advance,

Rick

Old 01-11-2002, 11:16 AM
Drawsoncad420
Senior User

I Had the premium sound package in my 01 Xped...which i removed 1 week later. I replaced all the door speakers with sony Xplod Mid's with the built in Tweeter. They fit right in there nice and snug. Stereo wise, Ive replaced every bit of equiptment in the truck. I run mostly Kicker and Sony, you can get that equipment at a fairly good price, and the sound is amazing. Im running about a 1000 watts in my truck right now. (2) Tweets on the dash, (4) mids in the doors, and (6) Xplod 10's in the rear. They're all Powered by a Sony head unit and Kicker Comp Amp. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Old 02-04-2002, 06:34 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go on ebay, and get the Orion Cobalt 5x7's. You will be blown away. Silk dome tweeter kills Infinitys and all others. I am really impressed. And they are cheap.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:24 PM
trueblue_79
Senior User

you found something better than infinity?:-staun
Mike S.

Old 02-06-2002, 12:51 AM
rspezfam
New User

New sound system update.
I replaced the entire Mach system and man I am not sorry I did. Initially I did have some reservations about removing the factory look but I got over that real quick.... as soon as I turned on the power to the new system I wound up putting JL Audio speakers all around. XR570-CSi components in the front doors, TR650 in the rear doors for fill and JL's 10" sub enclosure in place of the factory sub. They make one that fits nicely in the rear panel for the EXP. The door speakers are powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400.4 amp and the Sub is driven by a Rockford Power 200.1 amp. The head unit is a Clarion DXZ715. This system is exactly what I was looking for. For the price, around 2K installed, it's loud and more importantly it's clean. No distortion. The highs are crisp and the bass is a huge improvement over the factory. You can feel the difference. The Clarion head unit allows the user to fine tune the system by having a non-fader ouput for the sub, seperate adjustments for bass, mid and treble. Another nice feature is the 4 volt line output level. All-in-all this is a system I am very happy with. I could have spent less money but I would not have wound up with a system that's as loud and clean. On the other hand I could have spent more money and wound up with more than I need. For me this system is just right.... except now I need to add a CD changer. There's always something.
Hope this helps anyone who might be looking to upgrade. Thanks for those who responded to my initial request for help. Any questions, let me know. Take Care and Good Luck!

Rick

Old 02-06-2002, 01:28 AM
charlez
Elder User