1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Too nice to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can tell you, from my perspective, that I started on a driver 8 yrs ago, and only the paint has made an impact on that decision. I didn't start out wantin a trailer queen for sure.. if you can't drive it, what good is it?!...

but... when we finally settled on the paint (which started this mess), and tried to find other alternatives (which failed emotionally for us), then we were trapped.!.. trapped I say.

But, it couldn't have driven to Dallas, a measly 175 miles from here with the expected MPG (8) and the 20gal tank. Only thing it can't pass is a gas station!.. and I'd never be able to drive it all the way to KY for the anual show.. don't know whether I'd be thinking about rocks or wallet (gas) damage.

BUT, its been fun! and I like the time I spend on it, as a vent away from work.

Sam

Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I can tell you, from my perspective, that I started on a driver 8 yrs ago, and only the paint has made an impact on that decision. I didn't start out wantin a trailer queen for sure.. if you can't drive it, what good is it?!...

but... when we finally settled on the paint (which started this mess), and tried to find other alternatives (which failed emotionally for us), then we were trapped.!.. trapped I say.

But, it couldn't have driven to Dallas, a measly 175 miles from here with the expected MPG (8) and the 20gal tank. Only thing it can't pass is a gas station!.. and I'd never be able to drive it all the way to KY for the anual show.. don't know whether I'd be thinking about rocks or wallet (gas) damage.

BUT, its been fun! and I like the time I spend on it, as a vent away from work.

Sam
Sam - VERY well said!! Mine won't be a trailer queen, but it won't be a daily driver, either. Shows, Sunday rides, parades. Maybe to work once in a while. I'll have a LOT more hours into it, before I'm done, but currently have about 200 hours into the rear of the cab already, and not quite done. Then I have the front corners to do, as well. I already have a daily driver, that gets 35+ mpg. I may find another truck, as a daily driver, but I think next time, I'll find one that the engine swap, front end swap, rear end swap, basic bodywork has already been done. This one will be pretty much very stock. And there aren't too many F2's out there, in decent shape. I think if I had the time (and money) into a perfect truck, I'd be content with driving it only occasionally. And that would be to "special" events and places, where it would be appreciated - sure, all the honks and stares going down the road, are nice, but most of those only see "old truck", not a '51, not a Ford, not an F2. Some appreciate what we go through, but most don't. I'm anxious to get mine done, and on the road, that's why I work so many hours on it - everyday gets at least SOMEthing done. Sometimes not much, sometimes a lot. But I can't rest until I do get it done. Sure, I really wish it was a '32 roadster, but I can't afford the $20K they want for one in much worse shape, than I started out with the truck. We all work within our means - not really, most of us work just a step ABOVE our means, but we do what we can with what we've got. I don't chide anyone for trailering their truck, or vehicle, if they've done a good portion, if not all, the work. Those that pay to have EVERYthing done on their truck/car don't impress me at all. Sure, they're nice. Sure, they cost a lot. But it's the labor of love, that makes it so much more than just a nice vehicle. My labor makes it MY nice vehicle. And it will be done to the best of my ability. Sure, there are those with much more ability than I. But, I'm sure there's a few with less.

R

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
It would be a scary drive getting that piece of art down the road here in Houston. I'd have to have Oxygen masks like on a commercial jet just to maneuver that beauty down our H-Town freeways.

That is a really nice job.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdetweil
But, it couldn't have driven to Dallas, a measly 175 miles from here with the expected MPG (8) and the 20gal tank. Only thing it can't pass is a gas station!..
Sam
Don't feel bad, I got a big old F-350 dually diesel with all the bells and whistles that sits in the garage for weeks at a time. It only moves when it has a paying job pulling the enclosed trailer moving some one elses trailer queen and getting 10 MPG. I guess at this rate I'll never have to worry about wearing it out. I'm one of those guys that can get the enjoyment out of building and maybe some limited apecial trips.

Later Man...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice little TRUCK

Well I've been to 7 State Fairs and 3 goat ropings, and I ain't never seen nothing like that truck! It's a bute but not made for my kind of riding and waving at the pretty girls. I did not know anyone had built a see-thru bed like that, NICE
Mike

Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
bobbytnm got it right. started out as a driver then it got out of hand. still ok until it came to the paint and engine. like sdetwell said the paint made harder to drive everyday. then with the the engine going from a 302 to a 351 punched to 427 the gas mileage was shot. it would cost about 3000 to go to ky. and back. still i will drive it to local shows and maybe a few within 500 miles. but its been fun doing it all myself.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 PM
jm ray
Senior User
i would drive it like i had stolen it..just wait till my bucket o rust is running..something is burnin

Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
had a 64 impala ss that was a "show" car but drove the crap out of it , and then had a 74 big block monte carlo and a 63 balaxie with a big block that were all chromed out , polished up and a total pain to keep up and was always paranoid about driving them and people being near them , and could not enjoy myself . hence i've become a supporter of the driver . i will say this i am impressed with the workmanship . it is beautiful . i also apologize if i semmed like an a-- earlier as i have had some people look " down " their noses and make comments about mine when i show up . i get a bad attitude and its not directed at you or anyone else , just some have left an unfavorable impression upon me . as i said though it is PURTY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the rat-rod craze is nothing but a backlash against the posh rides.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well in a way i'd say it is . i hang out on another forum and the term rat rod ruffles feathers . they prefer unfinished or something of that nature . these guys buy what they can afford , build whats practical with what they have as cheaply as possible , and form comes second to function . i am a huge fan of it .the vehicle can be the most beautiful one i'll ever seen but if ya cant use it or it bankrupted you or like with the ones i had you are scared to use 'em , i just cant be a part of . now if ya wanna really ruffle the feathers post a pic of one of those goofy " shock " rods / circus wagons that some are putting together and calling them the same and these guys and i can get quite p-ss- about it . they were built to shock are ususlly unsafe p.o.s's and the owners usually have 'em on evil pay trying to get rich . now there is a second forum that they are just fools and think anything rusted and screwed up is a cool anti establishment rod and the term retard comes to mind

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
well in a way i'd say it is . i hang out on another forum and the term rat rod ruffles feathers . they prefer unfinished or something of that nature . these guys buy what they can afford , build whats practical with what they have as cheaply as possible , and form comes second to function . i am a huge fan of it
Maybe we need another term... How about ECONORODS or something along those lines?

Why do people have to get so upset at what others do??? Live and let live I say... I've actually seen some pretty nice looking stuff that I still wouldn't want to ride in due to poor engineering and/or lack of attention to the mechanical aspects. A big pile of new parts does not necessarilly make it a safe or enduring ride. But hey, it's their money, their life and their time.

Later Folks...

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 609 Likes on 379 Posts
Dave, that's exactly why I've quit going to shows, and don't join up with any local clubs. Shows are all about "judging", don't care for that. Local clubs seem to take on a life of their own, that is, The Club becomes more important than the rides. Sure there are exceptions, but I didn't build my truck to anyone's standards but my own, and I darn sure don't need any more bureaucracy in my life.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Dave, that's exactly why I've quit going to shows, and don't join up with any local clubs. Shows are all about "judging", don't care for that. Local clubs seem to take on a life of their own, that is, The Club becomes more important than the rides. Sure there are exceptions, but I didn't build my truck to anyone's standards but my own, and I darn sure don't need any more bureaucracy in my life.
Ditto. Though I'll attend shows for some BS'n with the guys I go with.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:00 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
From my limited experience, in the days of my father, they would put a car together with whatever they could find and make work. Some worked out well, some didn't. But now, it seems people are going out of their way to make their vehicles as "ratty" as possible. A few I've seen appear VERY dangerous. I don't understand it, the desire to do something like that. Perhaps it's because they know they can't do decent work so they will go to the opposite extreme. They can do what they want, within the limits of safety, and the only time it REALLY bothers me, is when they take a very desirable steel body, and junk it up on purpose, sometimes rendering it unusable for the possible next owner to actually make a decent car out of it. Sad since there's so little "quality" steel available, anymore.

R

Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
A few good friends...

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I gotta agree with you on that note... I do go to the shows occasionally but not constantly. For one thing, going continueously is a waste of time because a lot of the same stuff shows up. You know, been there, seen that. If I go once a year I get to see some stuff I haven't seen before. The shows here are small and a lot of stuff you won't see at the prestigious shows ends up here. The local shows are mostly DRIVE IT IN AND SHOW IT. Maybe one Trailer Queen... If I go once in a while I get some good ideas and they usually come from the less showy cars and trucks. Our local shows turn up quite a few Restos.

I'm just not into the club scene. Back in my miss-spent youth I was a Lone Wolf. That used to be a term applied to guys who were into cars but were not affiliated with a club. I don't have any urge to compete and I only have one guy to impress, and that's me. At my age I don't have enough time left in my life for all that club stuff. One of the reasons I retired was to finally be able to do my own thing. I've always liked the wrong things at the wrong time. I was into four door sedans and trucks before it was cool. Hey, I got a Taurus and I like it. It's not what you call a cool car in most people's opinion.

A few weeks ago the server at the ISP server site that my stuff is on had a major meltdown. I have spent most of the day getting stuff back up and I have made a lot of changes as well as doing away with a lot of stuff I have on there. If you go to www.daveboley.info and/or click on DARKSIDE '53 you can see some pictures of my truck I am going to start on. I plan to use this page as a way of keeping a record of the project progress. This may be perceived as a way of showing off but that is not my purpose or intention. It is simply my way of keeping others who are interested informed of what I am doing and planning. The people I know aren't at all afraid to criticize if they see me doing something they don't agree with. They tell it like they see it and so do I. If there is one thing I've learned over the years it is that I'm not an overly popular guy. The friends I have are great and they will do about anything for me. I would do the same for them. But it works for me because I would rather have one really good friend than a bunch of fair weather friends.

Later Man...

Quick Reply: Too nice to drive...