1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Too nice to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The way I see it...if the person building the truck has the skills to build it that nice, has the skills to fix it that nice if something happens to it. I'm still working on attaining such skills. Hopefully some day (years from now) I will achieve to build a truck as nice as this one. I would still drive mine and if it gets dented, I suppose a repair and refinish would be in the cards. But that's just me.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The builder did this truck nicely. It's simple, clean without major reconstruction to the original body style. You have to have big bucks to do something this nice. If I could afford to build a truck like this, I'd probably build it in a similar fashion. I would have to admit I'd love to own it, but would have difficulty owning something that I put that much money into and can't drive it or be afraid to drive it. I love just looking at it all the same and getting some cool ideas for my truck. Sweet truck!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
F250racer
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care how nice it is, i'd drive it. You can't put that much work into it and have it sit.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course there is one thing about this that I didn't think about before and maybe you guys haven't either:

If this guy has this kind of bucks to build something this beautiful and not drive it, then he probably has the bucks to have a couple more at home in the garage that he does drive.....and a Porsche too.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
thats where I am on my beast.. I picked this really hard paint, and now its tearin me up to consider letting it sit (what did my wife say, "drive it alternate saturdays, in months that end in E!")..

Sam

Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like was said before, if I had the money to build it I would drive that truck every where. Even to Wal-Mart. But I'd park in the very back of the parking lot and I would set in the truck and let my wife go in.

Scott B.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
thats where I am on my beast.. I picked this really hard paint, and now its tearin me up to consider letting it sit (what did my wife say, "drive it alternate saturdays, in months that end in E!")..

Sam
I'm not an Einstein, but my calculations say you get to drive it twice per year? Is that from the driveway to the garage? or the garage to the driveway?

Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by restoringmy46
Like was said before, if I had the money to build it I would drive that truck every where. Even to Wal-Mart. But I'd park in the very back of the parking lot and I would set in the truck and let my wife go in.

Scott B.
my neighbor has a 51 chevy 5 window that he just finished restoring. Looks fabulous..

takes a blanket and a piece of plywood to cover the bed with when he pickes stuff up.

Sam

Old 06-15-2008, 11:39 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow... I think I slobbered on my keyboard. That is beautiful

Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Had the pleasure of viewing that truck up close at the'06 Nat's .A true piece of art .It's Steve's $$$ and time .He is entiltled to do what ever he wants with it .Any one can buy them but few can build near perfect vehicles .

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,930 Likes on 1,875 Posts
WOW! truly alot of time, energy, and money went into that truck.

My opinion? Its not my style and not what I would build (hows that for justifying my lack of talent?) The great thing about this hobby of ours is that there is no right way or wrong way to build your vehicle. You build it as you see fit to satisfy your own personal demons.

The truck is gorgeous!
Bobby

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by firstrider
Had the pleasure of viewing that truck up close at the'06 Nat's .A true piece of art .It's Steve's $$$ and time .He is entiltled to do what ever he wants with it .Any one can buy them but few can build near perfect vehicles .

I agree with firstrider, it is VERY NEAR PERFECT!! It's simply awesome!! And I also agree with Jules, he most likely has several drivers at home too!! And most of all like I said earlier, he is a very nice guy. Alot of time we tend to think just cause some one has alot of money they are jerks, but not in this case he's a real good guy who'd help you out if you needed him to. I only met him once, but he was real nice.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Jeez ! I don't recall anybody suggesting that the Owner is less than a good-guy.

The topic was "too nice to drive" which I sorta bent into "too nice to use as a truck".

It's a bitchin truck - I love it.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by restoringmy46

Scott B.

I tried that. Some guy pulled up beside it in a crappy car and still opened the door on it two days after a new paint job and then had the nerve to get mad when I junped him about it. He said I shuoldn't drive it if it was that important. I still wonder how he felt when he came back and found all four of his valve stems clipped off next to the rims. I guess he shouldn't have parked it there if it was that important to him. It didn't pay the $200.00 bucks to have the door repainted but it did make me feel better. The idiot probably never made the connection.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Of course there is one thing about this that I didn't think about before and maybe you guys haven't either:

If this guy has this kind of bucks to build something this beautiful and not drive it, then he probably has the bucks to have a couple more at home in the garage that he does drive.....and a Porsche too.
He's a local here and he has several others I am told but he doesn't drive them. I understand he has sold at least one for over six figures. He probably drives a 63 Falcon with different colored doors and bad upholstery.

Quick Reply: Too nice to drive...