2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
diesel2008
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
Honestly, I don't care what the gas prices go to. For my comfort and my families safety, I will always have a V-8 in the driveway...I just happen to own 2 of them right now.

Bigger does equal better...and I've owned the econo-boxes. I've never gotten that magical high mileage everybody swears they get either. Maybe it's just me. If my truck wasn't still virtually brand new and only 21k miles, I would most likely be buying a 09 in about 6-7 months. I love they way those things look

anyways, right now is the perfect time to pick up a nice truck with excellent options. people are freaking out and doing the STUPIDIST trade-ins to seemingly save money. I guess they think it's better to owe $5k+ upside down on a vehicle to save $50 a month in gas money.
I agree with you. It is the best time to buy a nice truck with the options you want due to the gas prices. I have seen so many out there with cheap prices it's crazy. Imma find the best one for me and buy it before the demand for trucks and suv's rise again.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 PM
NxNW
Junior User
"Honestly, I don't care what the gas prices go to. For my comfort and my families safety, I will always have a V-8 in the driveway..."

Same here.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bridge
That's real fine and dandy but, for most folks, hindsight is 20/20. When I bought my truck gas around here was $1.75. I can deal with $2.75 to $3.25 just fine. $4 is do'able but $5 is a problem; and I have a good job with good pay and a short 8 mile one-way commute.

The problem is that even if I wanted to get rid of my truck (which I don't...yet) who the hell is going to buy it...even at trade in value? It seems to me that if our Uncle Sam can kick in Billions to rescue mortgage companies, subsidize corn farmers (are they having any trouble moving their harvests?) and give billions in tax incentives to big oil they could figure some way to help those who want to get out of their gas guzzlers. At least they could stop commodities speculation. A select few are getting rich while Joe American takes it in the tailpipe.

To the OP; the only car I'll be buying in the near future is a Focus or the like. I could make the payment on that and gas for less than I'm paying in gas/month for my beloved pavement princess.
While I agree with you that the trade in value blows right now (bugs me even more that i'd still get jack for my truck even if I was trading in on a bigger truck - makes no sense, right?); on the gas price, if you (don't mean to pick on you, just saying 'you' in general) bought the truck when gas was 1.75 and your salary hasn't kept up w/ the gas expense, it may be time to switch work places. Gas shouldn't be the "20% of your bills" kind of expense, so that when it doubles it's a big problem; if that's the case for anyone, then I'm sorry to say it, you bought the wrong vehicle/too much vehicle/etc. I seriously hope that's not the case with anyone driving one of these $30,000 trucks.

I personally couldn't care more about the gas prices. It pushed my gas expenses from 2.3%-ish to about 2.8%-ish out of my total bills. I just wish the truck either, fit in the garage at my new work place (fat chance even if i get it back to stock height), or the thing had a longer bed - I can't even fit 2 of its own tires in the bed without one sticking up. God forbid I use it to haul stuff from home depot, or try to hook up a 5th wheel travel trailer to it...

Honestly, I don't care what the gas prices go to. For my comfort and my families safety, I will always have a V-8 in the driveway...I just happen to own 2 of them right now.

Bigger does equal better...and I've owned the econo-boxes. I've never gotten that magical high mileage everybody swears they get either. Maybe it's just me. If my truck wasn't still virtually brand new and only 21k miles, I would most likely be buying a 09 in about 6-7 months. I love they way those things look

anyways, right now is the perfect time to pick up a nice truck with excellent options. people are freaking out and doing the STUPIDIST trade-ins to seemingly save money. I guess they think it's better to owe $5k+ upside down on a vehicle to save $50 a month in gas money.
couldn't agree more. and they're screwing it up for people like me, who want to move up to a bigger truck lol

Old 06-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
just to clarify, I bought my truck with the 5.4 when gas was $2.50 a gallon
I just bought my 5.7 Hemi with gas being $3.70 a gallon

it sucks, but it's a price we pay...thank god we aren't in Europe

Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 PM
markmwillis
New User
I've got a large family, so naturally I'll have large vehicles. I'm concerned about gas prices, but I don't dwell on them. They'll change just like the price of a gallon of milk changes--it's been that way for...forever? Ten years ago nobody wanted to pay $1.75 for a gallon of gasoline, but we muscled through, and here we are. If we want bigger-better-faster-stronger, then we have to be willing to shed the pound of flesh for it. Politics is politics, and when you live in a country where everyone wants it their way, you've got to be pretty flexible.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I have a '05 F-150 and a '07 Explorer " Eddie Bauer " ; both with V-8 engines. Would I downsize due to the gas prices? No! Comfort, power, and the ability to go in any weather is more important to me. Been the small import route................it is not worth it to save on gas costs................

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Wont make me give up my truck, I like the V-8 power the F-150 has, sorry ain't selling or trading for anything else unless it's a new F-150 with the big V-8. I knew what I was getting into when purchased, I knew it wasn't economical on gas thats not why I bought it for. It's my daily driver and commute to work is 45 miles round trip. I have Atv's and needed something to pull them w/no problems so the big V-8 is what I wanted, I knew with the 4.6L I wouldn't be happy and it would bother me as I would have wished I gotten the 5.4L, Keep you trucks guys, never sell out. Also I believe the oil is fading out and hydrogen engines will take over so the oil companies are trying to get all they can before this takes effect. Try doing a Goggle search on "hydrogen engines" to see and read for yourselves.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
markmwillis
New User
Believe it or not, American big-name oil companies have very little to do with how much we're paying for fuel. We pay what we pay for fuel because of the foreign oil our government buys. It's not supply-and-demand anymore, like someone else mentioned above--it's all about where it's coming from, and the majority of what you buy at the pump ain't coming from under American soil.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Originally Posted by markmwillis
Believe it or not, American big-name oil companies have very little to do with how much we're paying for fuel. We pay what we pay for fuel because of the foreign oil our government buys. It's not supply-and-demand anymore, like someone else mentioned above--it's all about where it's coming from, and the majority of what you buy at the pump ain't coming from under American soil.
So true Mark, I meant to say Foreign oil companies not just oil companies. Good point.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
air1jpg
Tuned
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08
Wont make me give up my truck, I like the V-8 power the F-150 has, sorry ain't selling or trading for anything else unless it's a new F-150 with the big V-8. I knew what I was getting into when purchased, I knew it wasn't economical on gas thats not why I bought it for. It's my daily driver and commute to work is 45 miles round trip. I have Atv's and needed something to pull them w/no problems so the big V-8 is what I wanted, I knew with the 4.6L I wouldn't be happy and it would bother me as I would have wished I gotten the 5.4L, Keep you trucks guys, never sell out. Also I believe the oil is fading out and hydrogen engines will take over so the oil companies are trying to get all they can before this takes effect. Try doing a Goggle search on "hydrogen engines" to see and read for yourselves.
I see your point about the 4.6L engine, on top of the fact I would have wished I had gotten the 5.4L, the 4.6L only gets about a 1 or 2 mpg better than the 5.4L!!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Boy don't I totally agree. Funny seeing people trade in their paid off or almost paid off truck/suv getting $5-$7K less than the truck was worth 1yr ago, getting a new econo box payment of $200-$400 per month, plus gas, new car insurance costs, tax, title & licensing. Heck dealers around here are marking up their compacts anywhere from $3K-$7K and dropping trade in value on trucks/suvs the same. So they're making out like bandits.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
I dislike the high fuel prices just as much as the next person. Like most here, I knew what I was getting into when I bought my '99 Explorer 5.0, '02 F150 5.4L and my current '06 F150 5.4L. All kind of gas hogs, but I need 4X4, I need large vehicles to fit the wife, 3 kids (2 in car seats) and the dog. No compact or even mid-sized car could do that. I really don't need the largest motor they offer, but knew I'd kick myself in the long run had I opted for the smaller motor with less power and only 1-2mpgs better.

Will I trade the truck, NO! I'll keep it, pay it off and then may purchase an econo box or slowped. I only drive 7 miles each way to/from work, so 14 miles a day, means roughly 1 gallon used per day. Of course weekends when going places with the kids, the wifes Altima won't fit everyone, so we must use the truck, which is a big reason why I purchased it).

If I was in the market and needed a truck, I would buy today. You'll get such a great deal. I see so many lots packed with trucks/suvs that they've gotta move them one way or another or they'll lose $$$ on them. Was at my dealer yesterday picking up the truck and they only had about 2-4 used compact/mid sized cars, but roughly 15-30 used trucks/suvs/vans sitting on the lot. This is why the trade in is so low. Now if you don't need one, heck opt for a smaller truck or a car. Save you some $$$.

Simply laughable, all those people who buy a huge truck/suv with the biggest motor and complain about mpgs. I'd like better mpgs, and would expect better mpgs out of the '09 F150, but knew what I was getting into when I bought the truck. Then again I've always owned trucks and got bad mpgs, so I don't know what getting good mpgs is like (unless I drive the Altima).

Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM
atl27
New User
I just read where the high gas prices are here to stay. According to a reliable source gas prices will remain around $4/gal through next year so you might want to reconsider when buying a truck. I just bought one for a company truck only because it was absolutely necessary.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Two years ago I bought a Mustang GT, and a F-150 Lairiat.

I started a job where I have to drive my personal vehicle about 120 miles a day.

1. I hated putting that kind of miles on my new 36,000 dollar truck.

2. The cost of driving a loaded 5.4l F150 120 miles a day is way beyond reason.

I get milage re-imbersment. But it won't cover fuel on my truck let alone other costs.

So in reverse to the original post. I have the F-150. I love the truck. But it eats gas.

I bought a small economy car for my daily buisness.

But I have my F-150, to pull my tt, or to drive to places on the weekend.

Once in a while I break out the Mustang. It is an 06, with 3400 miles. (gees I guess I should change the oil!) Have a good one!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
D-mon
Senior User
i have a 08 FX4 crew picked out on a dealers lot but kinda waiting for the right time i guess......i have a Ranger now...would trade in value be good or what??
Gas isnt a problem everyone has to drive and i dont that much really but we have alot of E85 stastions so that helps but ya i would really like a new truck since i need to pull/ haul more now......the truck is everything i want i guess but not Leather.,....oh well....

Quick Reply: High Gas Prices